Re: Unable to stop XP displaying in Chinese

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by impossible, Aug 13, 2008.

  1. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "thingy" <> wrote in message
    > Looking at someone's PC and the XP is all in chinese....so its making life
    > a bit hard for me to fix....I have tried setting the default display and
    > language as English NZ but it still comes up as chinese characters...even
    > after a reboot....what am I missing?
    >
    > bloody impossible to fix pc when its all funny squiggles!
    >
    > grrr...

    I'm almost certain the user-interface language is fixed on installation.
    (The settings you've played with only affect keyboard input and the
    formatting of dates, times, etc.) There's no way I know to change the ui
    short of re-installing, and in this case I'd say you're stuck with a full
    install rather than simply a repair install. You'll need at least SP1 to
    access the multi-ui setup files.
    impossible, Aug 13, 2008

  2. impossible

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "thingy" typed:
    > impossible wrote:
    >> "thingy" <> wrote in message
    >>> Looking at someone's PC and the XP is all in chinese....so its
    >>> making life a bit hard for me to fix....I have tried setting the
    >>> default display and language as English NZ but it still comes up as
    >>> chinese characters...even after a reboot....what am I missing?
    >>>
    >>> bloody impossible to fix pc when its all funny squiggles!
    >>>
    >>> grrr...
    >>>

    >> I'm almost certain the user-interface language is fixed on
    >> installation. (The settings you've played with only affect keyboard
    >> input and the formatting of dates, times, etc.) There's no way I
    >> know to change the ui short of re-installing, and in this case I'd
    >> say you're stuck with a full install rather than simply a repair
    >> install. You'll need at least SP1 to access the multi-ui setup
    >> files.

    > I kinda suspected it was something like this....
    >
    > :/

    Yep. I found a similar situation when I was considering buying a (then quite
    new) second-hand laptop quite a while back. It came with XP Pro but was in
    Chinese, bought into NZ by the owner. The guy told me I'd have to re/install
    an English version, it was enough to scupper the purchase as I was unsure of
    driver availability (I couldn't find reference to that model in English
    anywhere on teh intarweb ATT).

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Aug 13, 2008

  3. On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 00:33:22 GMT, impossible <>
    wrote in <news:mZpok.295398$yE1.61114@attbi_s21>:

    > "thingy" <> wrote in message
    >> Looking at someone's PC and the XP is all in chinese....so its making life
    >> a bit hard for me to fix....I have tried setting the default display and
    >> language as English NZ but it still comes up as chinese characters...even
    >> after a reboot....what am I missing?
    >>
    >> bloody impossible to fix pc when its all funny squiggles!
    >>
    >> grrr...
    >>

    > I'm almost certain the user-interface language is fixed on installation.
    > (The settings you've played with only affect keyboard input and the
    > formatting of dates, times, etc.) There's no way I know to change the ui
    > short of re-installing, and in this case I'd say you're stuck with a full
    > install rather than simply a repair install. You'll need at least SP1 to
    > access the multi-ui setup files.

    It would be a good idea to make sure the 'someone' who owns (presumably)
    and uses the computer does not have it set up that way because Chinese is
    their native language! You could save yourself a lot of embarrassment.

    --
    - Nic.
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Aug 13, 2008
  4. On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 14:05:56 +1200, thingy <> wrote
    in <news:>:

    > Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    >> On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 00:33:22 GMT, impossible <>
    >> wrote in <news:mZpok.295398$yE1.61114@attbi_s21>:
    >>
    >>> "thingy" <> wrote in message

    >>> I'm almost certain the user-interface language is fixed on installation.
    >>> (The settings you've played with only affect keyboard input and the
    >>> formatting of dates, times, etc.) There's no way I know to change the ui
    >>> short of re-installing, and in this case I'd say you're stuck with a full
    >>> install rather than simply a repair install. You'll need at least SP1 to
    >>> access the multi-ui setup files.

    >> It would be a good idea to make sure the 'someone' who owns (presumably)
    >> and uses the computer does not have it set up that way because Chinese is
    >> their native language! You could save yourself a lot of embarrassment.
    >>

    > it is, however if its easy to change to English, it should be easy to
    > change it back!
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    Ah, so! Ever hear of "Famous Last Words"? Good luck.

    --
    - Nic.
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Aug 15, 2008