Re: UK.. English a foreign language for 80% of pupils in some schools.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Old Gringo38, Nov 29, 2010.

  1. Old Gringo38

    Old Gringo38 Guest

    On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 08:23:19 -0500, Bullwinkle wrote:

    > $0$28540$...
    > Children who speak English

    Speaking a second language opens the doors to a whole new world.

    Si usted es parte de la minoría, poner un poco de diversión en su
    vida y aprender un segundo idioma.
    --
    11/29/2010 8:01:42 AM CST
    Just West Of Nowhere
    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    Old Gringo38, Nov 29, 2010

  2. "Old Gringo38" <> wrote in message news:...
    > On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 08:23:19 -0500, Bullwinkle wrote:
    >
    >> $0$28540$...
    >> Children who speak English

    > Speaking a second language opens the doors to a whole new world.
    >
    > Si usted es parte de la minoría, poner un poco de diversión en su
    > vida y aprender un segundo idioma.
    > --
    > 11/29/2010 8:01:42 AM CST
    > Just West Of Nowhere
    > Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    > Support Bacteria: It Is The Only Culture Some People Have

    school class a few years ago in england uk
    'good morning, class'

    a few years in the future in any class in england uk
    'alhallah badem lazza in challah'
    Zu Arsschlaark!, Nov 29, 2010

  3. Old Gringo38

    Hot-Text Guest

    Speaking a second language keep wags Down
    On the ones who Speak one language!
    and you out of all of them here Old Gringo38 should know that!

    Hot-Text, Nov 29, 2010
  4. Old Gringo38

    Old Gringo38 Guest

    On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 09:38:14 -0600, Hot-Text wrote:

    > Speaking a second language keep wags Down
    > On the ones who Speak one language!
    > and you out of all of them here Old Gringo38 should know that!
    >
    > "Old Gringo38" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 08:23:19 -0500, Bullwinkle wrote:
    >>
    >>> $0$28540$...
    >>> Children who speak English

    >> Speaking a second language opens the doors to a whole new world.
    >>
    >> Si usted es parte de la minoría, poner un poco de diversión en su
    >> vida y aprender un segundo idioma.
    >> --
    >> 11/29/2010 8:01:42 AM CST
    >> Just West Of Nowhere
    >> Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    >> Support Bacteria: It Is The Only Culture Some People Have

    You leave me at a loss for words, In any Language. <g>
    --
    11/29/2010 10:00:35 AM CST
    Old Gringo38, Nov 29, 2010
  5. Old Gringo38

    dadiOH Guest

    Old Gringo38 wrote:
    > On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 08:23:19 -0500, Bullwinkle wrote:
    >
    >> $0$28540$...
    >> Children who speak English

    > Speaking a second language opens the doors to a whole new world.
    >
    > Si usted es parte de la minoría, poner un poco de diversión en su
    > vida y aprender un segundo idioma.

    Pienso que seria usar el subjuntivo (algo como el imperativo en este caso)
    in lugar de los infinitivos; es decir, "ponga" y "aprenda". Los subjuntivos
    son "pon" y "aprende".

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
    dadiOH, Nov 29, 2010
  6. Old Gringo38

    dadiOH Guest

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
    dadiOH, Nov 29, 2010
  7. Old Gringo38

    Ian Jackson Guest

    In message <4cf40e47$0$6666$>, dadiOH
    <> writes
    >dadiOH wrote:
    >> Old Gringo38 wrote:

    >>> Speaking a second language opens the doors to a whole new world.
    >>>
    >>> Si usted es parte de la minoría, poner un poco de diversión en su
    >>> vida y aprender un segundo idioma.

    >> Pienso que seria usar el subjuntivo (algo como el imperativo en este
    >> caso) in lugar de los infinitivos; es decir, "ponga" y "aprenda". Los
    >> subjuntivos son "pon" y "aprende".

    >> Pienso que seria *MEJOR*usar...

    ¿Que?
    --
    Ian
    Ian Jackson, Nov 29, 2010
  8. Old Gringo38

    Old Gringo38 Guest

    On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 15:33:50 -0500, dadiOH wrote:

    >> Pienso que seria *MEJOR*usar...

    Probably so, but I learned Spanish in the Bar Room not the School
    Room <g>
    --
    11/29/2010 5:13:45 PM CST
    Old Gringo38, Nov 29, 2010
  9. Old Gringo38

    G. Morgan Guest

    Old Gringo38 <> wrote:

    >Probably so, but I learned Spanish in the Bar Room not the School
    >Room <g>

    Oh no.. I see a new tag line!!

    --
    You'll be Ok, Enjoy. Life is nothing more than a bunch of mini
    vacations all rolled into one. - Old Gringo
    G. Morgan, Nov 30, 2010
  10. Old Gringo38

    G. Morgan Guest

    "Zu Arsschlaark!" <> wrote:

    >a few years in the future in any class in england uk
    >'alhallah badem lazza in challah'

    The article said the 2 primary non-English languages are from immigrants from
    India and China. Which is surprising because I always understood students in
    India were taught English from day-1 in school. China announced last week that
    it would mandate English lessons in it's schools too, citing "English is the
    language of commerce".

    It's also the de-facto official language for all international pilots. No
    speekie English, -no landie at International airports.

    G. Morgan, Nov 30, 2010
  11. Old Gringo38

    Old Gringo38 Guest

    On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 21:54:59 -0600, G. Morgan wrote:

    > Old Gringo38 <> wrote:
    >
    >>Probably so, but I learned Spanish in the Bar Room not the School
    >>Room <g>

    > Oh no.. I see a new tag line!!

    <g> That line broke about 60 years ago.
    --
    11/30/2010 5:50:52 AM CST
    Old Gringo38, Nov 30, 2010
  12. "G. Morgan" <> wrote in message news:...
    > "Zu Arsschlaark!" <> wrote:
    >
    >>a few years in the future in any class in england uk
    >>'alhallah badem lazza in challah'

    > The article said the 2 primary non-English languages are from immigrants from
    > India and China. Which is surprising because I always understood students in
    > India were taught English from day-1 in school. China announced last week that
    > it would mandate English lessons in it's schools too, citing "English is the
    > language of commerce".
    >
    > It's also the de-facto official language for all international pilots. No
    > speekie English, -no landie at International airports.
    >
    > --
    > You'll be Ok, Enjoy. Life is nothing more than a bunch of mini
    > vacations all rolled into one. - Old Gringo

    *whoosh*
    Zu Arsschlaark!, Nov 30, 2010
  13. "G. Morgan" <> wrote in message news:...
    > "Zu Arsschlaark!" <> wrote:
    >
    >>a few years in the future in any class in england uk
    >>'alhallah badem lazza in challah'

    > The article said the 2 primary non-English languages are from immigrants from
    > India and China.

    ok

    Which is surprising because I always understood students in
    > India were taught English from day-1 in school. China announced last week that
    > it would mandate English lessons in it's schools too, citing "English is the
    > language of commerce".

    what does china have to do with the article

    > It's also the de-facto official language for all international pilots. No
    > speekie English, -no landie at International airports.

    what does pilots have to do with the article
    Zu Arsschlaark!, Nov 30, 2010
  14. Old Gringo38

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2010-11-30, G Morgan <> wrote:
    > "Zu Arsschlaark!" <> wrote:
    >
    >>a few years in the future in any class in england uk
    >>'alhallah badem lazza in challah'

    > The article said the 2 primary non-English languages are from immigrants from
    > India and China. Which is surprising because I always understood students in
    > India were taught English from day-1 in school. China announced last week that
    > it would mandate English lessons in it's schools too, citing "English is the
    > language of commerce".

    The article actually says

    However, while the figures show the number of pupils who are not native
    English speakers, they do not take into account their fluency in
    English.

    Recent Government figures on reading and writing skills among
    11-year-olds, show, on average, that children of Indian and Chinese
    ethnicity outstrip their white British counterparts.

    But the article is about "primary" schools, ie children who haven't been
    to school before. So the current official policy of whatever country their
    parents came from is somewhat irrelevant.

    If this wasn't the Daily Wail, the headline could have been "1 in 5 year-1
    pupils can only speak English" and been just as accurate - and more in
    line with official policy in England that is to encourage the teaching of
    'foreign' languages.

    > It's also the de-facto official language for all international pilots. No
    > speekie English, -no landie at International airports.

    Methinks that passengers are allowed to fly no matter what languages they
    can't speak.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Nov 30, 2010
  15. Old Gringo38

    G. Morgan Guest

    "Zu Arsschlaark!" <> wrote:

    >> India were taught English from day-1 in school. China announced last week that
    >> it would mandate English lessons in it's schools too, citing "English is the
    >> language of commerce".
    >>

    >what does china have to do with the article

    Besides being mentioned?

    "Recent Government figures on reading and writing skills among 11-year-olds,
    show, on average, that children of Indian and Chinese ethnicity outstrip their
    white British counterparts. "

    >> It's also the de-facto official language for all international pilots. No
    >> speekie English, -no landie at International airports.
    >>

    >what does pilots have to do with the article

    Nothing. Just an observation that English is the most widely used among decent
    people, and super-best language in the entire fucking world. Anyone who can't
    speak it is sub-human, ape-like, knuckle-dragging, slack-jawed, and smells bad.

    G. Morgan, Nov 30, 2010
  16. Old Gringo38

    G. Morgan Guest

    Whiskers <> wrote:

    <good enough for me>

    >> It's also the de-facto official language for all international pilots. No
    >> speekie English, -no landie at International airports.

    >Methinks that passengers are allowed to fly no matter what languages they
    >can't speak.

    Well yeah, but I did mention it was the pilot that had to speak English.

    The non-English speakers are free to get off the plane any way they can figure
    out, but one of them better know how to fly a plane and speak English to the guy
    in the tower.

    G. Morgan, Nov 30, 2010
  17. "G. Morgan" <> wrote in message news:...
    > "Zu Arsschlaark!" <> wrote:
    >
    >>> India were taught English from day-1 in school. China announced last week that
    >>> it would mandate English lessons in it's schools too, citing "English is the
    >>> language of commerce".
    >>>

    >>what does china have to do with the article

    > Besides being mentioned?
    >
    > "Recent Government figures on reading and writing skills among 11-year-olds,
    > show, on average, that children of Indian and Chinese ethnicity outstrip their
    > white British counterparts. "

    in the uk, not china.

    >>> It's also the de-facto official language for all international pilots. No
    >>> speekie English, -no landie at International airports.
    >>>

    >>what does pilots have to do with the article

    > Nothing. Just an observation that English is the most widely used among decent
    > people, and super-best language in the entire fucking world. Anyone who can't
    > speak it is sub-human, ape-like, knuckle-dragging, slack-jawed, and smells bad.

    ^ speak for yourself.
    Zu Arsschlaark!, Nov 30, 2010
  18. Old Gringo38

    G. Morgan Guest

    "Zu Arsschlaark!" <> wrote:

    >^ speak for yourself.

    Thanks.

    G. Morgan, Nov 30, 2010
  19. Old Gringo38

    Hot-Text Guest

    Ok Old Gringo 38 am Back
    Out of free post at the House, New IP Win 7 my Notebook at Latino of in law!

    I learned speak Spanish at Work,
    And the PC read and wright it not me!

    O by the way I remember in the 6 year of School
    I was learning to read, wright, and speak Old Spanish
    I "F" that one Dad said it OK Son you do not need to speak Spanish to work
    in the USA!

    Hot-Text, Dec 1, 2010
  20. "G. Morgan" <> wrote in message news:...
    > "Zu Arsschlaark!" <> wrote:
    >
    >>^ speak for yourself.

    > Thanks.
    >
    > --
    > You'll be Ok, Enjoy. Life is nothing more than a bunch of mini
    > vacations all rolled into one. - Old Gringo

    :)
    Zu Arsschlaark!, Dec 2, 2010