Re: UK DSL provider experience, AVM Fritz!Box Fon?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Ivor Jones, Aug 16, 2008.

  1. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:g8797r$2pq$,
    B. Wright <> typed, for some strange, unexplained
    reason:

    [snip]

    : Finally, on the hardware, I'm thinking about the Fritz!Box Fon
    : because of the features and flexibility. Already have a wifi router
    : and Sipura so could do with only a cheap DSL modem for RFC-1483
    : bridging in a pinch if I have to. Does anyone known if the Fritz
    : device's "PBX" function allows registration by other SIP clients? If
    : it does, that's great, I can configure the services in that and use
    : my Sipura on private addressing without NAT problems. Do the newer
    : devices all do Annex A/B and it's it simply a firmware swap to
    : change? It seems they have many model numbers all called "Fritz!Box
    : Fon" over time and they all have different features, I haven't found
    : a list that details the difference by specific model number anywhere.

    Try www.avm.de/en or www.fritzbox.eu

    The main one that is available in the UK seems to be the 7140 but the 7170
    is IMHO better as it has three FXS ports over the 7140's two. I have the
    7170 which has been rock solid over the last few months. It does have a
    built in DSL modem and wireless AP but you don't have to use them I
    suppose, although it's nice to have everything in one box. They can
    accommodate up to 10 SIP accounts and each one can be with a different
    provider if you want. You can also plug extra ATA's into the LAN ports, I
    have a Sipura SPA-2000 on my system as well as the accounts on the Fritz.

    See my review of the 7170 at
    http://www.voipon.co.uk/avm-fritzbox-fon-wlan-7170-pri-560.html?reviews_id=10

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Aug 16, 2008

  2. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:g89vdq$2fm$,
    : Ivor Jones <> wrote:
    : > In news:g8797r$2pq$,
    : > B. Wright <> typed, for some strange,
    : > unexplained reason:
    :
    : > [snip]
    :
[...]
    : >
    http://www.voipon.co.uk/avm-fritzbox-fon-wlan-7170-pri-560.html?reviews_id=10
    :
    : This is just the "Fritz!Box Fon", unsure of whether it has a
    : further model # or not but I just paid 31quid new on ebay for it, so,
    : worth taking the chance. It is quoted by the seller as being
    : compatible with "ITU G.992.1 Annex A or B" so it should be fine for
    : up to 12Mb down and 1Mb up at least, fine with me.

    That's the original Fritz!Box Fon, had one of those myself, it works well
    enough but upgraded so I could lose the extra plugs associated with the
    Ethernet switch and wireless AP.

    As for Annex A or B, it's one or the other, they're not compatible.
    Despite claims from some to the contrary, the hardware is different and
    one model isn't guaranteed to work with the firmware of the other. Look on
    the base and there should be a sticker which will tell you. If the sticker
    is missing, run a mile.

    : It looks like it may be one of two models: An older with the S0
    : ISDN port, only one ethernet, and a USB port that doesn't support
    : storage devices; A newer model without the S0 port, the USB should
    : support storage, and 4 ethernet switched ports. Either way, I'm ok
    : with that as I'll run a wireless router as an AP on top of it (WRT54G
    : with modified firmware, which, can do a lot of tricks in and of
    : itself).

    The USB port on the older models is for connecting a computer, not a host
    for printers or storage devices as on the latter models.

    Also check you have the latest firmware, it fixes a lot of bugs. Let me
    know which model and firmware you have and I'll let you know.

    : Other than one less plug and maybe a slight power savings the
    : "one device" argument doesn't really do much especially since the
    : WRT54G is capable of some cool things (VPN termination, OpenSER,
    : running a network with multiple "virtual" SSIDs, etc..)

    Fair enough, but the sheer number of plug-top power supplies this end is
    quite a heat generator :)

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Aug 17, 2008

  3. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:,
    Ivor Jones <> typed, for some strange,
    unexplained reason:

    [snip]

    : Also check you have the latest firmware, it fixes a lot of bugs. Let
    : me know which model and firmware you have and I'll let you know.

    PS I think I've just found your completed listing on eBay, is it the one
    from a seller in Ireland..? If so the photo isn't large enough for a
    detailed look and he hasn't put a photo of the connectors, but it looks
    like the one I used to use, in which case it's a single Ethernet port, a
    USB computer port and two phone ports, is that correct..? Latest firmware
    for this model is 06.04.49 for Annex A.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Aug 17, 2008
  4. Ivor Jones

    Tim Guest

    B. Wright wrote:
    > Yes, that's it. Apart from the plug adapter I think it should
    > be fine, unless it's the wrong type. Annex B is for DSL over an ISDN
    > loop from what I read. I do have an ISDN NT1 at the place but don't
    > really fancy firing up ISDN through BT, probably cost a fortune. The
    > person I had on the phone had no fscking clue what ISDN even was even
    > when I made reference to their "Home Highway" moniker. I imagine they
    > don't sell much ISDN these days apart from business applications.

    Loads of people still have ISDN2 and ISDN30.

    I believe both home and business highway have been discontinued.

    Tim
    Tim, Aug 18, 2008
  5. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:48a94057$0$625$,
    Tim <> typed, for some strange, unexplained reason:
    : B. Wright wrote:
    : > Yes, that's it. Apart from the plug adapter I think it should
    : > be fine, unless it's the wrong type. Annex B is for DSL over an
    : > ISDN loop from what I read. I do have an ISDN NT1 at the place but
    : > don't really fancy firing up ISDN through BT, probably cost a
    : > fortune. The person I had on the phone had no fscking clue what
    : > ISDN even was even when I made reference to their "Home Highway"
    : > moniker. I imagine they don't sell much ISDN these days apart from
    : > business applications.
    :
    : Loads of people still have ISDN2 and ISDN30.
    :
    : I believe both home and business highway have been discontinued.

    Doesn't matter either way as BT don't support ADSL over ISDN. Only good
    old POTS is supported in the UK so you will need an Annex A box.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Aug 18, 2008