  1. Whiskers

    Whiskers Guest

    ["Followup-To:" header set to 24hoursupport.helpdesk.]
    On 2011-01-06, Bullwinkle <> wrote:
    > Television Documentary Cures Wheelchair Bound Man
    > Posted 1/5/2011 at 10:00 am by Adam Tod Brown

    [...]

    > Enter the magic of television. During an otherwise normal albeit wheelchair
    > bound day, Holman was watching a Discovery Channel documentary that featured
    > a woman who suffered from symptoms that were strikingly similar to what he
    > was going through. The cause of her malady turned out to be a bite from a
    > Brown Recluse spider (a cliffhanger we probably spoiled by way of the huge
    > picture of a spider at the top of this article).
    >
    > He mentioned the documentary and the similarities to his physician who
    > referred him to Pauline Edney at Fareham College's Community Leg Care
    > Centre. Sure enough, Edney confirmed that Holman was indeed the victim of a
    > poisonous spider bite. After several sessions of cleansing and treating the
    > ever growing wound, it finally started to shrink and eventually closed
    > altogether. He still has nerve damage as a result of the spider bite, but
    > more importantly, he also still has his leg.
    >
    > Way to save the day, television!
    >
    > (via telegraph.co.uk)

    To be fair to the British GP, there are no poisonous spiders native to
    Britain or Turkey, and the Brown Recluse spider is native to the
    south-east USA, so the GP had probably never seen a spider bite before and
    wouldn't have been thinking about American spiders anyway when presented
    with a patient just back from Turkey.

    The actual Telegraph article mentions that the patient was chair-bound
    for three years with the mystery lesion; is that a record I wonder?
    <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/8239391/Wheelchair-bound-man-diagno
    ses-spider-bite-after-watching-documentary.html>

    --
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Jan 6, 2011