Re: UFI computer Pentium II

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Ken, Nov 19, 2009.

  1. Ken

    Ken Guest

    James D. Andrews wrote:
    > Had a UFI brand P2 early model computer brought by for fixing.
    > Two things noticed:
    > 1) Never heard of UFI and can't find it on my searches (get all kinds of
    > other things).
    > 2) No startup to enter to change settings. Tried every F-key and even the
    > Return. Is there a way into this dinosaur?

    Some of the really old computers used a setup floppy disk to set CMOS.
    Perhaps this one does also?
    Ken, Nov 19, 2009

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    James D. Andrews wrote:
    > "Ken"<> wrote in message
    >> James D. Andrews wrote:
    >>> Had a UFI brand P2 early model computer brought by for fixing.
    >>> Two things noticed:
    >>> 1) Never heard of UFI and can't find it on my searches (get all kinds of
    >>> other things).
    >>> 2) No startup to enter to change settings. Tried every F-key and even
    >>> the
    >>> Return. Is there a way into this dinosaur?
    >>>

    >> Some of the really old computers used a setup floppy disk to set CMOS.
    >> Perhaps this one does also?

    > Thanks. That sucks. Actually, this computer sucks. I'm thinking real hard
    > about just giving him one of my old ones and taking my frustrations out on
    > this one.

    If you want to pursue the CMOS setup with a floppy, I may be able to
    help you.
    Ken, Nov 20, 2009

  3. Ken

    baron Guest

    Ken Inscribed thus:

    > James D. Andrews wrote:
    >> Had a UFI brand P2 early model computer brought by for fixing.
    >> Two things noticed:
    >> 1) Never heard of UFI and can't find it on my searches (get all kinds
    >> of other things).
    >> 2) No startup to enter to change settings. Tried every F-key and
    >> even the
    >> Return. Is there a way into this dinosaur?
    >>

    > Some of the really old computers used a setup floppy disk to set CMOS.
    > Perhaps this one does also?

    A number of the older machines used "ctrl+s" and "shift+s". I've also
    seen "ctrl+alt+s" and "ctrl+alt+b".

    HTH.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.
    baron, Nov 20, 2009
  4. Ken

    baron Guest

    Ken Inscribed thus:

    > James D. Andrews wrote:
    >> "Ken"<> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> Some of the really old computers used a setup floppy disk to set
    >>> CMOS. Perhaps this one does also?

    >> Thanks. That sucks. Actually, this computer sucks. I'm thinking
    >> real hard about just giving him one of my old ones and taking my
    >> frustrations out on this one.
    >>

    > If you want to pursue the CMOS setup with a floppy, I may be able to
    > help you.

    Wow ! I remember the old 086 & 286 that used a floppy to set the BIOS.
    Tandon machines if I recall did that. I probably still have those
    floppys somewhere if they still work.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.
    baron, Nov 20, 2009
  5. Ken

    Ken Guest

    baron wrote:
    > Ken Inscribed thus:
    >
    >> James D. Andrews wrote:
    >>> Had a UFI brand P2 early model computer brought by for fixing.
    >>> Two things noticed:
    >>> 1) Never heard of UFI and can't find it on my searches (get all kinds
    >>> of other things).
    >>> 2) No startup to enter to change settings. Tried every F-key and
    >>> even the
    >>> Return. Is there a way into this dinosaur?
    >>>

    >> Some of the really old computers used a setup floppy disk to set CMOS.
    >> Perhaps this one does also?

    > A number of the older machines used "ctrl+s" and "shift+s". I've also
    > seen "ctrl+alt+s" and "ctrl+alt+b".
    >
    > HTH.

    You are right, I had forgotten about the three key CMOS access and the
    others. Must be getting old.
    Ken, Nov 20, 2009
  6. Ken

    Baron Guest

    Ken wrote:

    > baron wrote:
    >> Ken Inscribed thus:

    >>> Some of the really old computers used a setup floppy disk to set
    >>> CMOS.
    >>> Perhaps this one does also?

    >> A number of the older machines used "ctrl+s" and "shift+s". I've
    >> also seen "ctrl+alt+s" and "ctrl+alt+b".
    >>
    >> HTH.
    >>

    > You are right, I had forgotten about the three key CMOS access and the
    > others. Must be getting old.

    That make two of us ! ;-)

    --
    Best Regards: