Re: UFB providers

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by victor, Feb 5, 2014.

  1. victor

    victor Guest

    http://www.vodafone.co.nz/broadband/ultra-fast-fibre/
    victor, Feb 5, 2014

  2. victor

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Wed, 05 Feb 2014 20:03:29 +1300, victor wrote:

    > On 5/02/2014 3:18 p.m., Allistar wrote:
    > > I was with TelstraClear which is now Vodafone. We have UFB (i.e. fibre) to
    > > both my home and work and other providers can provide this service. Vodafone
    > > are one of the largest ISPs in NZ now yet they do not offer any fibre plans.
    > > WTF!?
    > >
    > > The net result is they will be losing me as both a home and business
    > > customer.
    > >
    > > I don't get why they don't offer this service.
    > >

    > http://www.vodafone.co.nz/broadband/ultra-fast-fibre/

    I tried that page's "Check your address" button with several
    addresses where UFB has already been rolled out. All that
    Vodafone's web site would offer was ADSL.

    For an example, use this address (not mine):

    1 MOLESWORTH STREET, PIPITEA, WELLINGTON

    Now go to http://www.chorus.co.nz/maps and confirm that UFB fibre
    up to 100 Mbps is already available for that address.

    --
    Kind regards
    Ralph
    Ralph Fox, Feb 5, 2014

  3. victor

    victor Guest

    On 5/02/2014 8:42 p.m., Allistar wrote:
    > victor wrote:
    >
    >> On 5/02/2014 3:18 p.m., Allistar wrote:
    >>> I was with TelstraClear which is now Vodafone. We have UFB (i.e. fibre)
    >>> to both my home and work and other providers can provide this service.
    >>> Vodafone are one of the largest ISPs in NZ now yet they do not offer any
    >>> fibre plans. WTF!?
    >>>
    >>> The net result is they will be losing me as both a home and business
    >>> customer.
    >>>
    >>> I don't get why they don't offer this service.
    >>>

    >> http://www.vodafone.co.nz/broadband/ultra-fast-fibre/

    > And using that page UFB is unavailable at my address, even though it is
    > available via many other providers.

    I have heard good reports from Snap users.
    victor, Feb 5, 2014
  4. victor

    Gordon Guest

    On 2014-02-05, Ralph Fox <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 05 Feb 2014 20:03:29 +1300, victor wrote:
    >
    >> On 5/02/2014 3:18 p.m., Allistar wrote:
    >> > I was with TelstraClear which is now Vodafone. We have UFB (i.e. fibre) to
    >> > both my home and work and other providers can provide this service. Vodafone
    >> > are one of the largest ISPs in NZ now yet they do not offer any fibre plans.
    >> > WTF!?
    >> >
    >> > The net result is they will be losing me as both a home and business
    >> > customer.
    >> >
    >> > I don't get why they don't offer this service.
    >> >

    >> http://www.vodafone.co.nz/broadband/ultra-fast-fibre/

    > I tried that page's "Check your address" button with several
    > addresses where UFB has already been rolled out. All that
    > Vodafone's web site would offer was ADSL.

    By rolled out I assume the fibre has been lit up and is just not glas in the
    ground.

    Gordon, Feb 6, 2014
  5. victor

    Your Name Guest

    In article <>, Gordon
    <> wrote:
    > On 2014-02-05, Ralph Fox <> wrote:

    > >> http://www.vodafone.co.nz/broadband/ultra-fast-fibre/

    > > I tried that page's "Check your address" button with several
    > > addresses where UFB has already been rolled out. All that
    > > Vodafone's web site would offer was ADSL.

    > By rolled out I assume the fibre has been lit up and is just not glas in the
    > ground.

    Nope. "Rolled out" literally means they've unrolled the cable from the
    huge drums, laid it along the ground, and are getting ready (in a week
    or three) to push it over into the newly dug trench. ;-)

    (For the humour impaired: Yes, I know they don't install it that way
    .... it's just a joke!)
    Your Name, Feb 6, 2014