Re: UFB providers

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Your Name, Feb 5, 2014.

  1. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    In article <>, Allistar
    <> wrote:

    > I was with TelstraClear which is now Vodafone. We have UFB (i.e. fibre) to
    > both my home and work and other providers can provide this service. Vodafone
    > are one of the largest ISPs in NZ now yet they do not offer any fibre plans.
    > WTF!?
    >
    > The net result is they will be losing me as both a home and business
    > customer.
    >
    > I don't get why they don't offer this service.

    They're supposedly working on it.
    Your Name, Feb 5, 2014

  2. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    In article <lct0ta$he9$>, EMB <> wrote:
    > On 5/02/2014 6:21 p.m., Your Name wrote:
    > > In article <>, Allistar
    > > <> wrote:
    > >>
    > >> I was with TelstraClear which is now Vodafone. We have UFB (i.e. fibre) to
    > >> both my home and work and other providers can provide this service.
    > >> Vodafone are one of the largest ISPs in NZ now yet they do not offer any
    > >> fibre plans.
    > >> WTF!?
    > >>
    > >> The net result is they will be losing me as both a home and business
    > >> customer.
    > >>
    > >> I don't get why they don't offer this service.

    > > They're supposedly working on it.
    > >

    > This being the same Vodafone who don't have reliable cellphone coverage
    > in the business park where their own call centre is[1] - they truly are
    > useless.
    >
    > [1] Several of my colleagues have gained a free iPhone by taking a VF
    > contract with free phone, then calling them to complain that there's no
    > coverage in their office. Give them the address of the business park
    > and they say "We know, we work there too. Port to Telecom, keep the
    > phone, and we'll cancel your contract Sir".

    Yep, the same Vodafone who can't run a dial-up service. The same
    Vodafone who can't run a DNS server. The same Vodafone who's Network
    Status page is worse than useless. The same Vodafone who ... basically
    can't do anything properly. Stay well clear of them - I wish I could.
    :-(
    Your Name, Feb 5, 2014

  3. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    In article <lct0ta$he9$>, EMB <> wrote:

    > On 5/02/2014 6:21 p.m., Your Name wrote:
    > > In article <>, Allistar
    > > <> wrote:
    > >>
    > >> I was with TelstraClear which is now Vodafone. We have UFB (i.e. fibre) to
    > >> both my home and work and other providers can provide this service.
    > >> Vodafone
    > >> are one of the largest ISPs in NZ now yet they do not offer any fibre
    > >> plans.
    > >> WTF!?
    > >>
    > >> The net result is they will be losing me as both a home and business
    > >> customer.
    > >>
    > >> I don't get why they don't offer this service.

    > > They're supposedly working on it.
    > >

    > This being the same Vodafone who don't have reliable cellphone coverage
    > in the business park where their own call centre is[1] - they truly are
    > useless.
    >
    > [1] Several of my colleagues have gained a free iPhone by taking a VF
    > contract with free phone, then calling them to complain that there's no
    > coverage in their office. Give them the address of the business park
    > and they say "We know, we work there too. Port to Telecom, keep the
    > phone, and we'll cancel your contract Sir".

    I forgot ... the same Vodafone who simply deletes emails THEY think are
    spam (you can't check or retrieve them). The same Vodafone who runs an
    idiotic "invisible proxy server" that causes no end of issues. The same
    Vodafone who refuses point blank to fix an issue with they own
    authentication server. The same Vodafone who has THE most expesnive
    dial-up service in the country. The same Vodafone who ... :-(
    Your Name, Feb 5, 2014
  4. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    In article <lcu76d$1mi$>, EMB <> wrote:
    > On 6/02/2014 9:32 a.m., Your Name wrote:
    > > Yep, the same Vodafone who can't run a dial-up service. The same
    > > Vodafone who can't run a DNS server. The same Vodafone who's Network
    > > Status page is worse than useless. The same Vodafone who ... basically
    > > can't do anything properly. Stay well clear of them - I wish I could.
    > > :-(

    > What's the issue with their DNS servers?

    I was having issues with many websites not loading. I added Google's
    public DNS addresses to the top of the list, and the websites then
    worked fine, although the poxy "invisible" proxy server still causes
    some issues.
    Your Name, Feb 6, 2014
  5. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    In article <lct0ta$he9$>, EMB <> wrote:

    > On 5/02/2014 6:21 p.m., Your Name wrote:
    > > In article <>, Allistar
    > > <> wrote:
    > >>
    > >> I was with TelstraClear which is now Vodafone. We have UFB (i.e. fibre) to
    > >> both my home and work and other providers can provide this service.
    > >> Vodafone
    > >> are one of the largest ISPs in NZ now yet they do not offer any fibre
    > >> plans.
    > >> WTF!?
    > >>
    > >> The net result is they will be losing me as both a home and business
    > >> customer.
    > >>
    > >> I don't get why they don't offer this service.

    > > They're supposedly working on it.
    > >

    > This being the same Vodafone who don't have reliable cellphone coverage
    > in the business park where their own call centre is[1] - they truly are
    > useless.
    >
    > [1] Several of my colleagues have gained a free iPhone by taking a VF
    > contract with free phone, then calling them to complain that there's no
    > coverage in their office. Give them the address of the business park
    > and they say "We know, we work there too. Port to Telecom, keep the
    > phone, and we'll cancel your contract Sir".

    Of course, you've then got "the same Xtra" who were too lazy to run an
    email service, so farmed ti out the the hopeless idiots at Yahoo, and
    then Xtra wonders why their customers' email address keep getting
    hacked and spammed. :-\
    Your Name, Feb 6, 2014
  6. Your Name

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Your Name wrote:
    > In article <lct0ta$he9$>, EMB <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On 5/02/2014 6:21 p.m., Your Name wrote:

    >>> They're supposedly working on it.
    >>>

    >> This being the same Vodafone who don't have reliable cellphone
    >> coverage in the business park where their own call centre is[1] -
    >> they truly are useless.
    >>
    >> [1] Several of my colleagues have gained a free iPhone by taking a VF
    >> contract with free phone, then calling them to complain that there's
    >> no coverage in their office. Give them the address of the business
    >> park and they say "We know, we work there too. Port to Telecom, keep
    >> the phone, and we'll cancel your contract Sir".

    > Of course, you've then got "the same Xtra" who were too lazy to run an
    > email service, so farmed ti out the the hopeless idiots at Yahoo, and
    > then Xtra wonders why their customers' email address keep getting
    > hacked and spammed. :-\

    Ummm. Only if you keep all of your eggs in one basket. Is this a 'judge
    others by my standards' thing?
    --
    </Shaun>

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1).
    ~misfit~, Feb 6, 2014
  7. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    In article <lcv59s$4jo$>, EMB <> wrote:
    > On 6/02/2014 1:52 p.m., Your Name wrote:
    > >
    > > Of course, you've then got "the same Xtra" who were too lazy to run an
    > > email service, so farmed ti out the the hopeless idiots at Yahoo, and
    > > then Xtra wonders why their customers' email address keep getting
    > > hacked and spammed. :-\

    > Xtra don't wonder, they know why it's happening and they are NOT happy.
    > And whilst I'm not a fan of Yahoo I can understand why Xtra decided to
    > outsource their mail. It hasn't worried me as I've not relied on an ISP
    > provided email service for well over a decade.

    Yahoo were well-known to have various issues before Xtra gave them the
    contract, and yet the fools in management STILL gave it to them. :-(

    > Xtra aren't the cheapest, I won't claim they're the fastest but they'd
    > be in the top 10% and their email service needs euthanising but they
    > have decent amounts of international bandwidth and provide better than
    > average service.
    >
    > Note in relation to service - I look after around 100 consumer ADSL
    > connections with various ISPs. When they break Xtra/Telecom are
    > generally the least effort to deal with to get things fixed.

    Xtra are certainly better than they used to be in the bad ol' days ...
    as long as you can get past the stupid voice (non)recognition system on
    their help desk phoneline. :-\
    Your Name, Feb 6, 2014
  8. Your Name

    Enkidu Guest

    On 06/02/14 18:07, EMB wrote:
    > On 6/02/2014 1:52 p.m., Your Name wrote:
    >

    >> Of course, you've then got "the same Xtra" who were too lazy to run an
    >> email service, so farmed ti out the the hopeless idiots at Yahoo, and
    >> then Xtra wonders why their customers' email address keep getting
    >> hacked and spammed. :-\
    >>

    > Xtra don't wonder, they know why it's happening and they are NOT happy.
    > And whilst I'm not a fan of Yahoo I can understand why Xtra decided to
    > outsource their mail. It hasn't worried me as I've not relied on an ISP
    > provided email service for well over a decade.
    >
    > Xtra aren't the cheapest, I won't claim they're the fastest but they'd
    > be in the top 10% and their email service needs euthanising but they
    > have decent amounts of international bandwidth and provide better than
    > average service.
    >
    > Note in relation to service - I look after around 100 consumer ADSL
    > connections with various ISPs. When they break Xtra/Telecom are
    > generally the least effort to deal with to get things fixed.

    They used to be useless, but they are very much better these days. I
    suspect that you will have to wait on the line a while even so.

    As far as outsourcing goes, it is usually a strategic decision based on
    costs - if you have to employ 4 mail admins, which would have to be a
    very big shop, at $X dollars each and someone else can provided a
    supposedly technically sound mail system for $Y dollars where Y << 4 *
    X, then the company would be silly NOT to look at it.

    Xtra have been unfortunate. Yahoo has proved to be a lemon. If they are
    losing $Z because of Yahoo, then they have to do the sums again. Is Y +
    Z >> 4 * X? If it is, then it would pay them to switch back in house. Or
    go out to tender for their mail system and switch to some other mail
    supplier.

    If Yahoo had not turned out to be a lemon, then Xtra would be
    collectively patting themselves on the back.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Feb 6, 2014
  9. Your Name

    victor Guest

    On 6/02/2014 9:45 p.m., Enkidu wrote:

    > They used to be useless, but they are very much better these days. I
    > suspect that you will have to wait on the line a while even so.
    >
    > As far as outsourcing goes, it is usually a strategic decision based on
    > costs - if you have to employ 4 mail admins, which would have to be a
    > very big shop, at $X dollars each and someone else can provided a
    > supposedly technically sound mail system for $Y dollars where Y << 4 *
    > X, then the company would be silly NOT to look at it.
    >
    > Xtra have been unfortunate. Yahoo has proved to be a lemon. If they are
    > losing $Z because of Yahoo, then they have to do the sums again. Is Y +
    > Z >> 4 * X? If it is, then it would pay them to switch back in house. Or
    > go out to tender for their mail system and switch to some other mail
    > supplier.
    >
    > If Yahoo had not turned out to be a lemon, then Xtra would be
    > collectively patting themselves on the back.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    Yahoo is a lot more than email, its the apps for various mobile OS,
    forums, instant messaging, an NZ portal, flickr, tumblr, video etc, a
    lot more than Telecom could provide and maintain with a few admins.
    Telecom will persist with Yahoo, just like the rest of the clients that
    co brand a Yahoo portal, they haven't got the capability or growth
    potential in house.
    "Despite Gmail’s worldwide dominance, third-place Yahoo owns the U.S.
    market, with 7 million more unique visitors than Gmail as well as a
    higher penetration. That means 40.8 percent of online Americans use
    Yahoo, compared to 36.7% using Gmail and 18.9% using Hotmail."

    Its a $16b company with 11000 employees.
    Biggish lemon.
    victor, Feb 6, 2014
  10. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    In article <52f34b9d$>, Enkidu
    <> wrote:
    > On 06/02/14 18:07, EMB wrote:
    > > On 6/02/2014 1:52 p.m., Your Name wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Of course, you've then got "the same Xtra" who were too lazy to run an
    > >> email service, so farmed ti out the the hopeless idiots at Yahoo, and
    > >> then Xtra wonders why their customers' email address keep getting
    > >> hacked and spammed. :-\

    > > Xtra don't wonder, they know why it's happening and they are NOT happy.
    > > And whilst I'm not a fan of Yahoo I can understand why Xtra decided to
    > > outsource their mail. It hasn't worried me as I've not relied on an ISP
    > > provided email service for well over a decade.
    > >
    > > Xtra aren't the cheapest, I won't claim they're the fastest but they'd
    > > be in the top 10% and their email service needs euthanising but they
    > > have decent amounts of international bandwidth and provide better than
    > > average service.
    > >
    > > Note in relation to service - I look after around 100 consumer ADSL
    > > connections with various ISPs. When they break Xtra/Telecom are
    > > generally the least effort to deal with to get things fixed.

    > They used to be useless, but they are very much better these days. I
    > suspect that you will have to wait on the line a while even so.
    >
    > As far as outsourcing goes, it is usually a strategic decision based on
    > costs - if you have to employ 4 mail admins, which would have to be a
    > very big shop, at $X dollars each and someone else can provided a
    > supposedly technically sound mail system for $Y dollars where Y << 4 *
    > X, then the company would be silly NOT to look at it.
    >
    > Xtra have been unfortunate. Yahoo has proved to be a lemon. If they are
    > losing $Z because of Yahoo, then they have to do the sums again. Is Y +
    > Z >> 4 * X? If it is, then it would pay them to switch back in house. Or
    > go out to tender for their mail system and switch to some other mail
    > supplier.
    >
    > If Yahoo had not turned out to be a lemon, then Xtra would be
    > collectively patting themselves on the back.

    The problem was that Yahoo was a well known rotten lemon long before
    Xtra even started talking to them. Just another typically brainless
    management decision based solely on boosting their own pocket.
    Your Name, Feb 6, 2014
  11. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    In article <>, geoff
    <> wrote:
    > On 6/02/2014 9:45 p.m., Enkidu wrote:
    > > On 06/02/14 18:07, EMB wrote:
    > > ender for their mail system and switch to some other mail
    > > supplier.
    > >
    > > If Yahoo had not turned out to be a lemon, then Xtra would be
    > > collectively patting themselves on the back.

    > Yeah, like "how clever we were shifting NZ jobs and control of our own
    > services offshore, just like our call centres. Hey let root our own
    > exec jobs and outsource EVERYTHING to Yahoo, or Google, etc".

    The real joke is that some management moron(s) no doubt got paid an
    over-bloated "bonus" for the that decision as well. :-\
    Your Name, Feb 7, 2014
  12. Your Name

    Enkidu Guest

    On 06/02/14 23:22, victor wrote:
    > On 6/02/2014 9:45 p.m., Enkidu wrote:
    >

    >> They used to be useless, but they are very much better these days. I
    >> suspect that you will have to wait on the line a while even so.
    >>
    >> As far as outsourcing goes, it is usually a strategic decision based on
    >> costs - if you have to employ 4 mail admins, which would have to be a
    >> very big shop, at $X dollars each and someone else can provided a
    >> supposedly technically sound mail system for $Y dollars where Y << 4 *
    >> X, then the company would be silly NOT to look at it.
    >>
    >> Xtra have been unfortunate. Yahoo has proved to be a lemon. If they are
    >> losing $Z because of Yahoo, then they have to do the sums again. Is Y +
    >> Z >> 4 * X? If it is, then it would pay them to switch back in house. Or
    >> go out to tender for their mail system and switch to some other mail
    >> supplier.
    >>
    >> If Yahoo had not turned out to be a lemon, then Xtra would be
    >> collectively patting themselves on the back.

    > Yahoo is a lot more than email, its the apps for various mobile OS,
    > forums, instant messaging, an NZ portal, flickr, tumblr, video etc, a
    > lot more than Telecom could provide and maintain with a few admins.
    > Telecom will persist with Yahoo, just like the rest of the clients that
    > co brand a Yahoo portal, they haven't got the capability or growth
    > potential in house.

    Xtra customers don't get all those other things though.

    > "Despite Gmail’s worldwide dominance, third-place Yahoo owns the U.S.
    > market, with 7 million more unique visitors than Gmail as well as a
    > higher penetration. That means 40.8 percent of online Americans use
    > Yahoo, compared to 36.7% using Gmail and 18.9% using Hotmail."
    >
    > Its a $16b company with 11000 employees.
    > Biggish lemon.

    Yes, and I'd bet that their trend is down. I have a Yahoo account and
    rarely use it because it is, frankly awful. It's clumsy, clunky,
    ad-ridden and looks like something from 10 years ago. I've not seen the
    Xtra front end so I don't know if it is an improvement on plain Yahoo or
    not.

    The last time I went into it, a month or so ago, I tried to set up two
    factor authentication without success. Gmail worked first time.

    When I went into it just now it tried to get me to upgrade, then it
    tried to get me to install Firefox (which I already have).

    So, it is still a total mess, even if it is the biggest. Android app?
    What android app? There's no sign of one that I would see.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Feb 7, 2014
  13. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    In article <52f45a90$>, Enkidu
    <> wrote:
    > On 06/02/14 23:22, victor wrote:
    > > On 6/02/2014 9:45 p.m., Enkidu wrote:
    > >>
    > >> They used to be useless, but they are very much better these days. I
    > >> suspect that you will have to wait on the line a while even so.
    > >>
    > >> As far as outsourcing goes, it is usually a strategic decision based on
    > >> costs - if you have to employ 4 mail admins, which would have to be a
    > >> very big shop, at $X dollars each and someone else can provided a
    > >> supposedly technically sound mail system for $Y dollars where Y << 4 *
    > >> X, then the company would be silly NOT to look at it.
    > >>
    > >> Xtra have been unfortunate. Yahoo has proved to be a lemon. If they are
    > >> losing $Z because of Yahoo, then they have to do the sums again. Is Y +
    > >> Z >> 4 * X? If it is, then it would pay them to switch back in house. Or
    > >> go out to tender for their mail system and switch to some other mail
    > >> supplier.
    > >>
    > >> If Yahoo had not turned out to be a lemon, then Xtra would be
    > >> collectively patting themselves on the back.

    > > Yahoo is a lot more than email, its the apps for various mobile OS,
    > > forums, instant messaging, an NZ portal, flickr, tumblr, video etc, a
    > > lot more than Telecom could provide and maintain with a few admins.
    > > Telecom will persist with Yahoo, just like the rest of the clients that
    > > co brand a Yahoo portal, they haven't got the capability or growth
    > > potential in house.

    > Xtra customers don't get all those other things though.

    Nor would they want it if it's as buggy and crappy as Yahoo's email
    "service".

    > > "Despite Gmailís worldwide dominance, third-place Yahoo owns the U.S.
    > > market, with 7 million more unique visitors than Gmail as well as a
    > > higher penetration. That means 40.8 percent of online Americans use
    > > Yahoo, compared to 36.7% using Gmail and 18.9% using Hotmail."
    > >
    > > Its a $16b company with 11000 employees.
    > > Biggish lemon.

    > Yes, and I'd bet that their trend is down.

    The size of the company doesn't mean anything in terms of the quality.
    Even the perceived popularity doesn't mean the quality is actually the
    best. Lots of good options have lost out to worse ones simply due to
    price or perceived popularity (VHS vs Beta being a prime example).

    > I have a Yahoo account and rarely use it because it is, frankly awful.
    > It's clumsy, clunky, ad-ridden and looks like something from 10 years
    > ago. I've not seen the Xtra front end so I don't know if it is an
    > improvement on plain Yahoo or not.
    >
    > The last time I went into it, a month or so ago, I tried to set up two
    > factor authentication without success. Gmail worked first time.
    >
    > When I went into it just now it tried to get me to upgrade, then it
    > tried to get me to install Firefox (which I already have).
    >
    > So, it is still a total mess, even if it is the biggest. Android app?
    > What android app? There's no sign of one that I would see.

    I used to have a free Yahoo email address, but then the hopeless morons
    deleted it without warning apparently because I didn't log in to their
    useless webmail system "often enough"! What's the point in providing
    POP access option and then forcing your users to log into the webmail
    "often enough" and without reminding them??
    Your Name, Feb 7, 2014
  14. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    In article <>, geoff
    <> wrote:
    > On 7/02/2014 1:16 p.m., Your Name wrote:
    > > In article <>, geoff
    > > <> wrote:

    > >> Yeah, like "how clever we were shifting NZ jobs and control of our own
    > >> services offshore, just like our call centres. Hey let root our own
    > >> exec jobs and outsource EVERYTHING to Yahoo, or Google, etc".

    > > The real joke is that some management moron(s) no doubt got paid an
    > > over-bloated "bonus" for the that decision as well. :-\

    > Get paid a bonus for doing job well taht presumably you were expected to
    > do well in the first place ? How about a deduction ( or demotion) for
    > not doing it well ?

    That happens, but usually it's some underling who gets penalised for
    their manager's idiotic and failed ideas.
    Your Name, Feb 7, 2014
  15. Your Name

    victor Guest

    On 7/02/2014 5:01 p.m., Enkidu wrote:
    > On 06/02/14 23:22, victor wrote:
    >> On 6/02/2014 9:45 p.m., Enkidu wrote:
    >>

    >>> They used to be useless, but they are very much better these days. I
    >>> suspect that you will have to wait on the line a while even so.
    >>>
    >>> As far as outsourcing goes, it is usually a strategic decision based on
    >>> costs - if you have to employ 4 mail admins, which would have to be a
    >>> very big shop, at $X dollars each and someone else can provided a
    >>> supposedly technically sound mail system for $Y dollars where Y << 4 *
    >>> X, then the company would be silly NOT to look at it.
    >>>
    >>> Xtra have been unfortunate. Yahoo has proved to be a lemon. If they are
    >>> losing $Z because of Yahoo, then they have to do the sums again. Is Y +
    >>> Z >> 4 * X? If it is, then it would pay them to switch back in house. Or
    >>> go out to tender for their mail system and switch to some other mail
    >>> supplier.
    >>>
    >>> If Yahoo had not turned out to be a lemon, then Xtra would be
    >>> collectively patting themselves on the back.

    >> Yahoo is a lot more than email, its the apps for various mobile OS,
    >> forums, instant messaging, an NZ portal, flickr, tumblr, video etc, a
    >> lot more than Telecom could provide and maintain with a few admins.
    >> Telecom will persist with Yahoo, just like the rest of the clients that
    >> co brand a Yahoo portal, they haven't got the capability or growth
    >> potential in house.
    > >

    > Xtra customers don't get all those other things though.
    > >
    >> "Despite Gmail’s worldwide dominance, third-place Yahoo owns the U.S.
    >> market, with 7 million more unique visitors than Gmail as well as a
    >> higher penetration. That means 40.8 percent of online Americans use
    >> Yahoo, compared to 36.7% using Gmail and 18.9% using Hotmail."
    >>
    >> Its a $16b company with 11000 employees.
    >> Biggish lemon.
    > >

    > Yes, and I'd bet that their trend is down. I have a Yahoo account and
    > rarely use it because it is, frankly awful. It's clumsy, clunky,
    > ad-ridden and looks like something from 10 years ago. I've not seen the
    > Xtra front end so I don't know if it is an improvement on plain Yahoo or
    > not.
    >
    > The last time I went into it, a month or so ago, I tried to set up two
    > factor authentication without success. Gmail worked first time.
    >
    > When I went into it just now it tried to get me to upgrade, then it
    > tried to get me to install Firefox (which I already have).
    >
    > So, it is still a total mess, even if it is the biggest. Android app?
    > What android app? There's no sign of one that I would see.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    I got a rocketmail account years ago then a yahoo one for a forum.
    I don't use them but they haven't been spammed and no one has accessed them.
    What is the actual exploit that has been happening ?

    The apps weren't difficult to find.

    mobile.yahoo.com

    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.yahoo.mobile.client.android.yahoo&hl=en
    victor, Feb 7, 2014
  16. Your Name

    Enkidu Guest

    Mmm, eventually found the Yahoo one through Playstore. Seems like I
    already had it, but removed it! It must have impressed me.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Feb 7, 2014
  17. Your Name

    Gordon Guest

    On 2014-02-07, Enkidu <> wrote:
    > Mmm, eventually found the Yahoo one through Playstore. Seems like I
    > already had it, but removed it! It must have impressed me.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    Cliff, are you all right? Top posting is not really your thing.

    Gordon, Feb 8, 2014
  18. Your Name

    victor Guest

    On 7/02/2014 9:18 a.m., geoff wrote:
    > On 6/02/2014 9:45 p.m., Enkidu wrote:
    >> On 06/02/14 18:07, EMB wrote:

    > ender for their mail system and switch to some other mail
    >> supplier.
    >>
    >> If Yahoo had not turned out to be a lemon, then Xtra would be
    >> collectively patting themselves on the back.

    > Yeah, like "how clever we were shifting NZ jobs and control of our own
    > services offshore, just like our call centres. Hey let root our own
    > exec jobs and outsource EVERYTHING to Yahoo, or Google, etc".
    >
    > geoff

    Hosting their own email might not be a profitable core business for
    Telecom. Yahoo probably pays them advertising income from the portal.
    If they did host their own it would be just as vulnerable to XSS attacks
    on webmail etc and even less competent to respond.
    The usual suspects are only too willing to remind you that Telecoms
    responsibility is to their shareholders and not their customers.
    There is nothing to stop their customers using NZ email providers if
    they have a huge concern about the unemployment they may create by using
    gmail or any other free or paid system of choice.
    Just being connected to the internet means that the email service is
    outsourced to free providers.
    victor, Feb 8, 2014
  19. Your Name

    Enkidu Guest

    On 08/02/14 17:10, Gordon wrote:

    > On 2014-02-07, Enkidu <> wrote:
    >> Mmm, eventually found the Yahoo one through Playstore. Seems like I
    >> already had it, but removed it! It must have impressed me.

    > Cliff, are you all right? Top posting is not really your thing.

    When the previous poster, the one I am replying to top posts, I top
    post. If the previous poster bottom posts, I bottom post.

    As a rule.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Feb 8, 2014
  20. Your Name

    victor Guest

    On 8/02/2014 7:34 p.m., geoff wrote:
    > On 8/02/2014 6:28 p.m., victor wrote:
    >

    >> Hosting their own email might not be a profitable core business for
    >> Telecom.

    > Yeah the greedy pricks. Email surely *is* one of the core functions of
    > an ISP ?
    >
    > Lick off the cream, but anything that looks like real work - farm it off !
    >
    > geoff

    Nah, that's why gmail and hotmail exist.
    Phone companies don't have mailservers, mobile has taken over now.

    Vodafone have outsourced theirs to electricmail for the last 6 years
    You only know about Telecom and Yahoo because its obvious.
    victor, Feb 8, 2014