Re: UFB providers

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Frank Williams, Feb 5, 2014.

  1. On Wed, 05 Feb 2014 15:18:23 +1300, Allistar <>
    wrote:

    >I was with TelstraClear which is now Vodafone. We have UFB (i.e. fibre) to
    >both my home and work and other providers can provide this service. Vodafone
    >are one of the largest ISPs in NZ now yet they do not offer any fibre plans.
    >WTF!?
    >
    >The net result is they will be losing me as both a home and business
    >customer.
    >
    >I don't get why they don't offer this service.

    Use there cable service..

    Frank Williams, Feb 5, 2014

  2. Frank Williams

    Your Name Guest

    In article <>, geoff
    <> wrote:
    > On 5/02/2014 5:01 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:
    > > On Wed, 05 Feb 2014 15:18:23 +1300, Allistar <>
    > > wrote:
    > >>
    > >> I was with TelstraClear which is now Vodafone. We have UFB (i.e. fibre) to
    > >> both my home and work and other providers can provide this service.
    > >> Vodafone
    > >> are one of the largest ISPs in NZ now yet they do not offer any fibre
    > >> plans.
    > >> WTF!?
    > >>
    > >> The net result is they will be losing me as both a home and business
    > >> customer.
    > >>
    > >> I don't get why they don't offer this service.

    > > Use there cable service..

    > "there" ?!
    >
    > Mother-in-law has had huge problem with Vodafone in getting her cable
    > modem changed to one with wifi.
    >
    > And if you cancel with them apparently they cut you off instantly,
    > leaving you without any communications until another provider can hook
    > you up (usually at least a week).

    Not to mention numerous on-going issues with their services. Vodafone
    NZ are one to avoid (unfortunately I'm stuck with the hopless twits).

    I'd also avoid using Xtra, unless you have a separate email account
    with another company. Their "deal" with the useless Yahoo to provide
    email was an idiotic decision to start with, and they should have
    binned the contract by now (four *known* hacker issues in 12 months!).

    Personally I'd also avoid all the minnows like Snap, Slingshot,
    BigPipe, etc., which only leaves Orcon ... as long as you can ignore
    their silly choice of doofus Dot Con as a spokesman in their adverts.

    Your Name, Feb 5, 2014

  3. Frank Williams

    Gordon Guest

    On 2014-02-05, Allistar <> wrote:

    > Most of the provider who offer UFB in my area are unheard of companies. I
    > don't trust a small company to provide such a service, I'd rather go with
    > someone bigger.

    UFB is the pipe, the means of connection, not the connection and service
    at the end of it. Two different things.

    A disgrunted customer of a small firm can do alot more damage to that firms
    bottom line than a big one.

    Gordon, Feb 6, 2014