Re: Ubuntu users making themselves loved it seems

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by SuperID, Jan 19, 2009.

  1. SuperID

    SuperID Guest

    I'm pretty sure I replied to this topic ...

    http://digg.com/linux_unix/Ubuntu_Causes_Girl_To_Drop_Out_of_College

    That's more fun to read, with lots of great critical comments about
    the story.

    SuperID, Jan 19, 2009

  2. In article <e3ebd835-33a5-474c-ad71-5cfc444534b4
    @i18g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, says...

    > I'm pretty sure I replied to this topic ...
    >
    > http://digg.com/linux_unix/Ubuntu_Causes_Girl_To_Drop_Out_of_College
    >
    > That's more fun to read, with lots of great critical comments about
    > the story.

    [/rant]

    It's kind of funny, or ironic, or whatever (maybe sad). What I am
    referring to is the kneejerk reaction of most of the 'commentators' on
    the digg site.
    "stupid" turns up often. "should be at Mc'Donalds and not at college".
    Blah blah.

    This is the 'supportive' unix community at their best?

    What it shows up front is that there's a large part of the geekish
    community who have absolutely no concept of the depth of ignorance,
    computer wise, that is prevalent amongst large parts of the population.
    Which leads to some kind of pot<-> kettle thing, n'est ce pas?

    If you ever want to persuade those (luser) people to move away from
    microsoft products, you have to create tools that are *easily*
    understood, up front and obvious, and put up help that a non-geek can
    comprehend. Calling them stupid is, indeed, just going to turn their
    brains off entirely, innit!

    I know enough people of 'college' level, in fact I know tertiary
    teachers who know how to push the on button, double click an icon on the
    desktop and use the start button to shut their computers down. Anything
    beyond that .... they need help. HELP, even. Don't know what a file-type
    is, don't understand protocols, compatibility or anything else. Don't
    want to, just like they don't want to understand how an automatic
    gearbox in their car works. --- How's somebody like that supposed to
    dive into the depths of setting up *anything* on Ubuntu beyond what gets
    installed by default? Yep, call them stupid, that'll make them willing
    converts ......

    [/rant off]

    I feel sorry for that young woman, is all I can say. I can understand
    the depth of her frustration. She's been talked into something that it
    would probably take her a couple of years to figure out for herself,
    were she willing, even (and why the F should she have to, if she's not
    going for a computing degree). In her perception she ordered a
    helicopter and found herself with a submarine in her garage, and she
    hasn't a clue how to make it do what she wants it to do.
    Her one mistake was to trust the 'expert advice' that persuaded her to
    stick with Ubuntu.

    -P.
    Peter Huebner, Jan 20, 2009

  3. SuperID

    oneofus Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <e3ebd835-33a5-474c-ad71-5cfc444534b4
    > @i18g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, says...
    >> I'm pretty sure I replied to this topic ...
    >>
    >> http://digg.com/linux_unix/Ubuntu_Causes_Girl_To_Drop_Out_of_College
    >>
    >> That's more fun to read, with lots of great critical comments about
    >> the story.
    >>

    > [/rant]
    >
    > It's kind of funny, or ironic, or whatever (maybe sad). What I am
    > referring to is the kneejerk reaction of most of the 'commentators' on
    > the digg site.
    > "stupid" turns up often. "should be at Mc'Donalds and not at college".
    > Blah blah.
    >
    > This is the 'supportive' unix community at their best?

    Probably not, I would check all the Ubuntu help forums and community
    documentation before leaping in with your own kneejerk reaction

    > What it shows up front is that there's a large part of the geekish
    > community who have absolutely no concept of the depth of ignorance,
    > computer wise, that is prevalent amongst large parts of the population.
    > Which leads to some kind of pot<-> kettle thing, n'est ce pas?
    >
    > If you ever want to persuade those (luser) people to move away from
    > microsoft products, you have to create tools that are *easily*
    > understood, up front and obvious, and put up help that a non-geek can
    > comprehend. Calling them stupid is, indeed, just going to turn their
    > brains off entirely, innit!

    Yes, its the paradox of choice, the more technology is available the
    more trouble they have choosing a path.

    > I know enough people of 'college' level, in fact I know tertiary
    > teachers who know how to push the on button, double click an icon on the
    > desktop and use the start button to shut their computers down. Anything
    > beyond that .... they need help. HELP, even. Don't know what a file-type
    > is, don't understand protocols, compatibility or anything else. Don't
    > want to, just like they don't want to understand how an automatic
    > gearbox in their car works. --- How's somebody like that supposed to
    > dive into the depths of setting up *anything* on Ubuntu beyond what gets
    > installed by default? Yep, call them stupid, that'll make them willing
    > converts ......
    >
    > [/rant off]
    >
    > I feel sorry for that young woman, is all I can say. I can understand
    > the depth of her frustration. She's been talked into something that it
    > would probably take her a couple of years to figure out for herself,
    > were she willing, even (and why the F should she have to, if she's not
    > going for a computing degree). In her perception she ordered a
    > helicopter and found herself with a submarine in her garage, and she
    > hasn't a clue how to make it do what she wants it to do.
    > Her one mistake was to trust the 'expert advice' that persuaded her to
    > stick with Ubuntu.
    >
    > -P.

    I think you have read what you want to believe into the situation, in
    that respect you are no different from the original kneejerk responders.
    oneofus, Jan 20, 2009
  4. In article <gl3mkb$r8j$>, says...

    > I think you have read what you want to believe into the situation, in
    > that respect you are no different from the original kneejerk responders.

    What I want to believe? And I guess you're going to tell me what that
    is?

    Look mate, I am no microsoft fanboy by any stretch of the imagination. I
    would like nothing better than to see an alternative take over - and I
    was merely commenting, sadly, that it's just not going to happen if
    people persist in reacting and thinking the way those kids were, and
    that there appears to be a serious case of Venus vs. Pluto going on
    here.

    I've written software myself and I know *precisely* how easy it is to
    fall into the trap that one deems whatever one has become intimately
    familiar with to be obvious, and to diss and dismiss people who have
    difficulty understanding one's own byzantine paths of thought and/or
    doing things. There needs to be awareness of this in the open source and
    linux, gnu etc communities, and appropriate behaviour (e.g.
    documtentation and luser friendly support), or else they'll be sitting
    alone in their little segregated playpens until the cows come home.

    Something I personally would find regrettable.

    -P.
    Peter Huebner, Jan 21, 2009
  5. SuperID

    oneofus Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <gl3mkb$r8j$>, says...
    >> I think you have read what you want to believe into the situation, in
    >> that respect you are no different from the original kneejerk responders.
    >>

    > What I want to believe? And I guess you're going to tell me what that
    > is?
    >
    > Look mate, I am no microsoft fanboy by any stretch of the imagination. I
    > would like nothing better than to see an alternative take over - and I
    > was merely commenting, sadly, that it's just not going to happen if
    > people persist in reacting and thinking the way those kids were, and
    > that there appears to be a serious case of Venus vs. Pluto going on
    > here.
    >
    > I've written software myself and I know *precisely* how easy it is to
    > fall into the trap that one deems whatever one has become intimately
    > familiar with to be obvious, and to diss and dismiss people who have
    > difficulty understanding one's own byzantine paths of thought and/or
    > doing things. There needs to be awareness of this in the open source and
    > linux, gnu etc communities, and appropriate behaviour (e.g.
    > documtentation and luser friendly support), or else they'll be sitting
    > alone in their little segregated playpens until the cows come home.
    >
    > Something I personally would find regrettable.
    >
    > -P.

    If you just took your cue from some mid USA mainstream media news
    non-event posted as flamebait you would end up with the impression that
    this woman was left with no resources but the TV station.
    If thats what you want to believe.
    If you try say
    http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q=ubuntu help&meta=&btnG=Google Search
    or
    http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=ubuntu howto&btnG=Search&meta=
    or
    http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=ubuntu hints&btnG=Search&meta=
    You get a different story

    I can't see why you would be looking for different behaviour in a
    flamewar on any topic, why should Ubuntu be different ?
    oneofus, Jan 21, 2009