Re: Ubuntu 9.04 Dumbfoundationalism Experiences

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Brian W, May 6, 2009.

  1. Brian W

    Brian W Guest

    "7" <> wrote in message
    news:JL1Jl.19877$...
    > Ubuntu 9.04 Dumbfoundationalism Experiences
    >
    > I just don't believe it!
    >
    > I downloaded and installed Ubuntu 9.04 on an Asus EEE.
    >
    > It took me 17 minutes from clicking start of installation
    > to finishing installation, booting up
    > AND browsing first web page!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Yeah I installed Windows 7 RC yesterday, and could view a web page in under
    15 minutes from installation start.

    Brian W, May 6, 2009

  2. Brian W wrote:

    > "7" <> wrote in message
    >> Ubuntu 9.04 Dumbfoundationalism Experiences
    >>
    >> I just don't believe it!
    >>
    >> I downloaded and installed Ubuntu 9.04 on an Asus EEE.
    >>
    >> It took me 17 minutes from clicking start of installation
    >> to finishing installation, booting up
    >> AND browsing first web page!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    > Yeah I installed Windows 7 RC yesterday, and could view a web page in
    > under 15 minutes from installation start.

    Certainly
    --
    No matter what the anticipated result, there will always be
    someone eager to (a) misinterpret it, (b) fake it, or (c) believe

    Peter Köhlmann, May 6, 2009

  3. Brian W

    zulu Guest

    "Brian W" <> wrote in message

    > "7" <> wrote in message
    >> Ubuntu 9.04 Dumbfoundationalism Experiences
    >>
    >> I just don't believe it!
    >>
    >> I downloaded and installed Ubuntu 9.04 on an Asus EEE.
    >>
    >> It took me 17 minutes from clicking start of installation
    >> to finishing installation, booting up
    >> AND browsing first web page!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    > Yeah I installed Windows 7 RC yesterday, and could view a web page in
    > under 15 minutes from installation start.

    Can you change the system fonts in W7?

    (Like the tabs on any Properties pane for instance.....?)

    --

    ¦zulu¦ VIP

    zulu, May 6, 2009
  4. 7 wrote:

    > Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    >
    >> Brian W wrote:
    >>

    >>> "7" <> wrote in message

    >>> Yeah I installed Windows 7 RC yesterday, and could view a web page in
    >>> under 15 minutes from installation start.

    >> Certainly

    > Tut tut! Thats not called for.

    I just did not provide the sarcasm tags

    > He could have taken drugs and hallucinated for real.

    To hallucinate you need some brain cells to begin with. So he hasn't that
    option, too
    --
    I just found out that the brain is like a computer.
    If that's true, then there really aren't any stupid people.

    Peter Köhlmann, May 6, 2009
  5. Brian W

    zulu Guest

    OK, I just downloaded Ubuntu 9.04

    How do I go about instaliing (do i need to.....) Ubuntu so that I can check
    it out _without mucking up my currnt OS (Win XP Pro)?_

    Cheers

    --

    ¦zulu¦ VIP

    zulu, May 7, 2009
  6. Brian W

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 07 May 2009 09:16:19 +0100, zulu wrote:

    > OK, I just downloaded Ubuntu 9.04
    >
    > How do I go about instaliing (do i need to.....) Ubuntu so that I can
    > check it out _without mucking up my currnt OS (Win XP Pro)?_
    >
    > Cheers

    1. Burn the ISO to CD.
    2. Place the newly-burned CD into your CD/DVD drive.
    3. Reboot your computer.
    4. When the boot process reaches the screen where you have the option to
    either install Ubuntu or try it without installing, pick the latter
    option.
    5. Sit back for ten or fifteen seconds while the live CD starts Ubuntu.

    Aardvark, May 7, 2009
  7. Brian W

    Gordon Guest

    zulu wrote:
    > OK, I just downloaded Ubuntu 9.04
    >
    > How do I go about instaliing (do i need to.....) Ubuntu so that I can check
    > it out _without mucking up my currnt OS (Win XP Pro)?_
    >
    > Cheers

    Burn a bootable CD from the iso, re-start your computer and choose "boot
    from CD" from the start-up settings.
    The CD will run Ubuntu in RAM, enabling you to see what it's like
    without doing anything to your current OS.
    It's called "LiveCD"....

    --
    Registered Linux User no 240308
    gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk

    Gordon, May 7, 2009
  8. Brian W

    zulu Guest

    "Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 07 May 2009 09:16:19 +0100, zulu wrote:
    >
    >> OK, I just downloaded Ubuntu 9.04
    >>
    >> How do I go about instaliing (do i need to.....) Ubuntu so that I can
    >> check it out _without mucking up my currnt OS (Win XP Pro)?_
    >>
    >> Cheers

    > 1. Burn the ISO to CD.
    > 2. Place the newly-burned CD into your CD/DVD drive.
    > 3. Reboot your computer.
    > 4. When the boot process reaches the screen where you have the option to
    > either install Ubuntu or try it without installing, pick the latter
    > option.
    > 5. Sit back for ten or fifteen seconds while the live CD starts Ubuntu.

    Ecellent, that is just as I hoped!
    TYVM :))

    --

    ¦zulu¦ VIP

    zulu, May 7, 2009
  9. Brian W

    zulu Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > zulu wrote:
    >> OK, I just downloaded Ubuntu 9.04
    >>
    >> How do I go about instaliing (do i need to.....) Ubuntu so that I can
    >> check
    >> it out _without mucking up my currnt OS (Win XP Pro)?_
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>

    > Burn a bootable CD from the iso, re-start your computer and choose "boot
    > from CD" from the start-up settings.
    > The CD will run Ubuntu in RAM, enabling you to see what it's like
    > without doing anything to your current OS.
    > It's called "LiveCD"....

    TYVM...

    --

    ¦zulu¦ VIP

    zulu, May 7, 2009
  10. Brian W

    Keith Blow Guest

    Brian W wrote:

    > "7" <> wrote in message
    >> Ubuntu 9.04 Dumbfoundationalism Experiences
    >>
    >> I just don't believe it!
    >>
    >> I downloaded and installed Ubuntu 9.04 on an Asus EEE.
    >>
    >> It took me 17 minutes from clicking start of installation
    >> to finishing installation, booting up
    >> AND browsing first web page!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    > Yeah I installed Windows 7 RC yesterday, and could view a web page in
    > under 15 minutes from installation start.

    Which leaves you 2 minutes to install:
    Office (OOO is standard)
    compilers (c is standard)
    Photoshop (gimp is standard)