Re: Ubuntu 9.04 Dumbfoundationalism Experiences

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Conor, Apr 27, 2009.

  1. Conor

    Conor Guest

    In article <JL1Jl.19877$>, 7 says...
    > Ubuntu 9.04 Dumbfoundationalism Experiences
    >
    > I just don't believe it!

    Neither do I. EIGHTEEN MONTHS AFTER THEY FUCKED UP WINDOWS NETWORK
    SHARE BROWSING it is still fucked. Had to install a package and edit a
    config file to get it working but then aMSN borks because it won't work
    with winbind installed.

    And they managed to introduce a 50% performance hit in the Intel
    graphics driver.

    --
    Conor

    looking good either. - Scott Adams
    Conor, Apr 27, 2009

  2. Conor

    Hadron Guest

    Conor <> writes:

    > In article <JL1Jl.19877$>, 7 says...
    >> Ubuntu 9.04 Dumbfoundationalism Experiences
    >>
    >> I just don't believe it!

    > Neither do I. EIGHTEEN MONTHS AFTER THEY FUCKED UP WINDOWS NETWORK
    > SHARE BROWSING it is still fucked. Had to install a package and edit a
    > config file to get it working but then aMSN borks because it won't work
    > with winbind installed.
    >
    > And they managed to introduce a 50% performance hit in the Intel
    > graphics driver.

    You're lucky. A friend of mine can't get X up at all with the Intel
    driver now after the upgrade.

    --
    In view of all the deadly computer viruses that have been spreading
    lately, Weekend Update would like to remind you: when you link up to
    Hadron, Apr 27, 2009

  3. Conor

    Conor Guest

    In article <gt41g0$72g$-september.org>, Hadron says...
    > Conor <> writes:
    >
    > > In article <JL1Jl.19877$>, 7 says...
    > >> Ubuntu 9.04 Dumbfoundationalism Experiences
    > >> -------------------------------------------
    > >>
    > >> I just don't believe it!

    > > Neither do I. EIGHTEEN MONTHS AFTER THEY FUCKED UP WINDOWS NETWORK
    > > SHARE BROWSING it is still fucked. Had to install a package and edit a
    > > config file to get it working but then aMSN borks because it won't work
    > > with winbind installed.
    > >
    > > And they managed to introduce a 50% performance hit in the Intel
    > > graphics driver.

    > You're lucky. A friend of mine can't get X up at all with the Intel
    > driver now after the upgrade.

    Mine is a 945 chipset. I understand that some others are getting well
    hammered.

    Conor, Apr 27, 2009
  4. Conor

    Hadron Guest

    Conor <> writes:

    > In article <gt41g0$72g$-september.org>, Hadron says...
    >> Conor <> writes:
    >>
    >> > In article <JL1Jl.19877$>, 7 says...

    >> > Neither do I. EIGHTEEN MONTHS AFTER THEY FUCKED UP WINDOWS NETWORK
    >> > SHARE BROWSING it is still fucked. Had to install a package and edit a
    >> > config file to get it working but then aMSN borks because it won't work
    >> > with winbind installed.
    >> >
    >> > And they managed to introduce a 50% performance hit in the Intel
    >> > graphics driver.

    >> You're lucky. A friend of mine can't get X up at all with the Intel
    >> driver now after the upgrade.
    >>

    > Mine is a 945 chipset. I understand that some others are getting well
    > hammered.

    The problem is too many freetards claiming it all just works without
    even trying things half the time. If the COLA freetards spent half their
    time reporting back bugs in the beta stages this sort of thing would not
    happen - but they don't because most of them are lying frauds who
    probably never even installed something or if they did then the desktop
    up is enough for "all works flawlessly" claims. They never tried
    changing resolution, they never tried a printer or modem or scanner and
    they never tried multiple monitors. It's a crying shame.

    Can anyone tell me if the gksudo bug is still there in the nvidia
    settings menu option in Ubuntu?

    Hadron, Apr 27, 2009
  5. Conor

    Doctor Smith Guest

    On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 12:30:21 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Conor <> writes:
    >
    >> In article <JL1Jl.19877$>, 7 says...
    >>> Ubuntu 9.04 Dumbfoundationalism Experiences
    >>>
    >>> I just don't believe it!

    >> Neither do I. EIGHTEEN MONTHS AFTER THEY FUCKED UP WINDOWS NETWORK
    >> SHARE BROWSING it is still fucked. Had to install a package and edit a
    >> config file to get it working but then aMSN borks because it won't work
    >> with winbind installed.
    >>
    >> And they managed to introduce a 50% performance hit in the Intel
    >> graphics driver.

    > You're lucky. A friend of mine can't get X up at all with the Intel
    > driver now after the upgrade.

    It's one of the big problems along with sound.
    It looks to me that Ubuntu 9.04 was released well before the bugs were
    removed.

    The Intel graphics chip is very popular.
    Doctor Smith, Apr 27, 2009
  6. Conor

    Doctor Smith Guest

    On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 12:48:33 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Conor <> writes:

    >>> You're lucky. A friend of mine can't get X up at all with the Intel
    >>> driver now after the upgrade.
    >>>

    >> Mine is a 945 chipset. I understand that some others are getting well
    >> hammered.

    > The problem is too many freetards claiming it all just works without
    > even trying things half the time. If the COLA freetards spent half their
    > time reporting back bugs in the beta stages this sort of thing would not
    > happen - but they don't because most of them are lying frauds who
    > probably never even installed something or if they did then the desktop
    > up is enough for "all works flawlessly" claims. They never tried
    > changing resolution, they never tried a printer or modem or scanner and
    > they never tried multiple monitors. It's a crying shame.

    I think you have hit the nail on the head Hadron !!!
    Obviously, the Ubuntu fanbois are NOT reporting the bugs because the same
    bugs propagate from version to version.
    The nvidia settings problem for one.

    There is also the possibility that the high and mighty developers aren't
    listening.
    I reported a bug with ALSA once and got back a whole collection of
    gibberish on how I should be using a different kernel and should patch it
    with the included information etc.

    I wrote back and asked why they just couldn't fix the problem?
    I never got another reply and they never got another bug report from me.
    The bug lasted all the way up until they semi-integrated ALSA with the
    kernel.

    > Can anyone tell me if the gksudo bug is still there in the nvidia
    > settings menu option in Ubuntu?

    Yes it is.
    Same problem, although the error message doesn't tell you your disk might
    be full anymore.
    Now it just says "cannot write file".
    Doctor Smith, Apr 27, 2009
  7. Conor

    Hadron Guest

    Doctor Smith <> writes:

    > On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 12:30:21 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Conor <> writes:
    >>
    >>> In article <JL1Jl.19877$>, 7 says...

    >>> Neither do I. EIGHTEEN MONTHS AFTER THEY FUCKED UP WINDOWS NETWORK
    >>> SHARE BROWSING it is still fucked. Had to install a package and edit a
    >>> config file to get it working but then aMSN borks because it won't work
    >>> with winbind installed.
    >>>
    >>> And they managed to introduce a 50% performance hit in the Intel
    >>> graphics driver.

    >> You're lucky. A friend of mine can't get X up at all with the Intel
    >> driver now after the upgrade.

    > It's one of the big problems along with sound.
    > It looks to me that Ubuntu 9.04 was released well before the bugs were
    > removed.
    >
    > The Intel graphics chip is very popular.

    Certainly on low end machines which freetards tend to prefer since they
    can't play many games etc anyway. I still shake my head when I think of
    Jeb telling us how virtual desktops where far better than multiple
    monitors. He really could not see who and why multiple monitors are
    useful and how many people use them these days, especially in home media
    setups like I have.

    Hadron, Apr 27, 2009
  8. Conor

    Hadron Guest

    Doctor Smith <> writes:

    > On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 12:48:33 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Conor <> writes:
    >>
    >>> In article <gt41g0$72g$-september.org>, Hadron says...

    >>> Mine is a 945 chipset. I understand that some others are getting well
    >>> hammered.

    >> The problem is too many freetards claiming it all just works without
    >> even trying things half the time. If the COLA freetards spent half their
    >> time reporting back bugs in the beta stages this sort of thing would not
    >> happen - but they don't because most of them are lying frauds who
    >> probably never even installed something or if they did then the desktop
    >> up is enough for "all works flawlessly" claims. They never tried
    >> changing resolution, they never tried a printer or modem or scanner and
    >> they never tried multiple monitors. It's a crying shame.

    > I think you have hit the nail on the head Hadron !!!
    > Obviously, the Ubuntu fanbois are NOT reporting the bugs because the same
    > bugs propagate from version to version.
    > The nvidia settings problem for one.

    "works for me" is always the easiest. Or the following wrong
    advice. Pity Liarnut hadnt listen to me or he would not have hosed his
    debian system when he upgraded his kernel.

    > There is also the possibility that the high and mighty developers aren't
    > listening.
    > I reported a bug with ALSA once and got back a whole collection of
    > gibberish on how I should be using a different kernel and should patch it
    > with the included information etc.

    Nonsense I know.

    > I wrote back and asked why they just couldn't fix the problem?
    > I never got another reply and they never got another bug report from me.
    > The bug lasted all the way up until they semi-integrated ALSA with the
    > kernel.
    >
    >> Can anyone tell me if the gksudo bug is still there in the nvidia
    >> settings menu option in Ubuntu?

    > Yes it is.
    > Same problem, although the error message doesn't tell you your disk might
    > be full anymore.
    > Now it just says "cannot write file".

    Shocking : almost the FIRST things people do after an install is want to
    configure their (dual) monitor(s).

    Hadron, Apr 27, 2009
  9. Conor

    Doctor Smith Guest

    On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 18:24:20 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Doctor Smith <> writes:

    >>> The problem is too many freetards claiming it all just works without
    >>> even trying things half the time. If the COLA freetards spent half their
    >>> time reporting back bugs in the beta stages this sort of thing would not
    >>> happen - but they don't because most of them are lying frauds who
    >>> probably never even installed something or if they did then the desktop
    >>> up is enough for "all works flawlessly" claims. They never tried
    >>> changing resolution, they never tried a printer or modem or scanner and
    >>> they never tried multiple monitors. It's a crying shame.

    >> I think you have hit the nail on the head Hadron !!!
    >> Obviously, the Ubuntu fanbois are NOT reporting the bugs because the same
    >> bugs propagate from version to version.
    >> The nvidia settings problem for one.

    > "works for me" is always the easiest. Or the following wrong
    > advice. Pity Liarnut hadnt listen to me or he would not have hosed his
    > debian system when he upgraded his kernel.
    >

    >> There is also the possibility that the high and mighty developers aren't
    >> listening.
    >> I reported a bug with ALSA once and got back a whole collection of
    >> gibberish on how I should be using a different kernel and should patch it
    >> with the included information etc.

    > Nonsense I know.
    >

    >> I wrote back and asked why they just couldn't fix the problem?
    >> I never got another reply and they never got another bug report from me.
    >> The bug lasted all the way up until they semi-integrated ALSA with the
    >> kernel.
    >>
    >>> Can anyone tell me if the gksudo bug is still there in the nvidia
    >>> settings menu option in Ubuntu?

    >> Yes it is.
    >> Same problem, although the error message doesn't tell you your disk might
    >> be full anymore.
    >> Now it just says "cannot write file".

    > Shocking : almost the FIRST things people do after an install is want to
    > configure their (dual) monitor(s).

    It's true and I can't believe that this problem has been with Ubuntu for at
    least the past 3 versions.

    I guess the developers are spending all their time with eye candy.

    Another gotcha is that they don't even include the Control Center as part
    of the default menues !!

    You have to wade through a menu editor to find it and add it to the menus.

    Oh, and it's not under System Administration where you think it would be.
    It's located under "Other".

    Yea, that makes sense :(
    Doctor Smith, Apr 27, 2009
  10. Conor

    Doctor Smith Guest

    On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 18:17:32 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Doctor Smith <> writes:

    >>> You're lucky. A friend of mine can't get X up at all with the Intel
    >>> driver now after the upgrade.

    >> It's one of the big problems along with sound.
    >> It looks to me that Ubuntu 9.04 was released well before the bugs were
    >> removed.
    >>
    >> The Intel graphics chip is very popular.

    > Certainly on low end machines which freetards tend to prefer since they
    > can't play many games etc anyway. I still shake my head when I think of
    > Jeb telling us how virtual desktops where far better than multiple
    > monitors. He really could not see who and why multiple monitors are
    > useful and how many people use them these days, especially in home media
    > setups like I have.

    It's frightening!
    Doctor Smith, Apr 27, 2009
  11. Conor

    JEDIDIAH Guest

    On 2009-04-27, Hadron <> wrote:
    > Doctor Smith <> writes:

    >>> You're lucky. A friend of mine can't get X up at all with the Intel
    >>> driver now after the upgrade.

    >> It's one of the big problems along with sound.
    >> It looks to me that Ubuntu 9.04 was released well before the bugs were
    >> removed.
    >>
    >> The Intel graphics chip is very popular.

    > Certainly on low end machines which freetards tend to prefer since they
    > can't play many games etc anyway. I still shake my head when I think of

    Is that all that a PC is to you really?

    There are better platforms for games. Just ask an EA or indie game
    developer.

    > Jeb telling us how virtual desktops where far better than multiple
    > monitors. He really could not see who and why multiple monitors are

    Well, at least I don't have to try and figure out where the extra
    bulk of another monitor or 3 would have to go on this desk that already
    has several computers on and around it.

    Why bother when all I am really doing is working around inferior software.

    > useful and how many people use them these days, especially in home media
    > setups like I have.

    Sadly enough, your experience is even less relevant to the vast majority
    of actual real life Windows users out there than my Linux based setup.

    Most normal people choose to use their house or their car as their
    display of conspicuous consuption. It's something that the neighors at
    least have some chance of seeing (rather than just getting to hear
    empty braging). Even then, the computing choice for "conspicuous
    consumption" is usually some sort of Mac rather than a skanky PC.

    Hadron's playing the part of true Lemming as always...

    --
    "Microsoft looks at new ideas, they don't evaluate whether
    the idea will move the industry forward, they ask, |||

    -- Bill Gates
    JEDIDIAH, Apr 27, 2009
  12. Conor

    JEDIDIAH Guest

    On 2009-04-27, Doctor Smith <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 18:17:32 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Doctor Smith <> writes:

    [deletia]
    >>> It's one of the big problems along with sound.
    >>> It looks to me that Ubuntu 9.04 was released well before the bugs were
    >>> removed.
    >>>
    >>> The Intel graphics chip is very popular.

    >> Certainly on low end machines which freetards tend to prefer since they
    >> can't play many games etc anyway. I still shake my head when I think of
    >> Jeb telling us how virtual desktops where far better than multiple
    >> monitors. He really could not see who and why multiple monitors are
    >> useful and how many people use them these days, especially in home media
    >> setups like I have.

    > It's frightening!

    Yes... free will is a frightening sort of thing for Lemmings.

    JEDIDIAH, Apr 27, 2009
  13. Conor

    JEDIDIAH Guest

    On 2009-04-27, Doctor Smith <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 12:48:33 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Conor <> writes:
    >>
    >>> In article <gt41g0$72g$-september.org>, Hadron says...

    [deletia]
    > I think you have hit the nail on the head Hadron !!!
    > Obviously, the Ubuntu fanbois are NOT reporting the bugs because the same
    > bugs propagate from version to version.
    > The nvidia settings problem for one.

    ....or perhaps they just don't see it as problem.

    They actually use their systems rather than nit-picking at them so
    they can run into some *advocacy and whine like a true Lemming.

    > There is also the possibility that the high and mighty developers aren't
    > listening.
    > I reported a bug with ALSA once and got back a whole collection of
    > gibberish on how I should be using a different kernel and should patch it
    > with the included information etc.
    >
    > I wrote back and asked why they just couldn't fix the problem?

    IOW, you were a big fat ass.

    You are the sort of user that people that get paid to support sorry
    asses like you would like to tell off. They only reason they don't
    is that they would worry about getting fired.

    [deletia]

    JEDIDIAH, Apr 27, 2009
  14. Conor

    JEDIDIAH Guest

    On 2009-04-27, Hadron <> wrote:
    > Doctor Smith <> writes:

    >>> The problem is too many freetards claiming it all just works without
    >>> even trying things half the time. If the COLA freetards spent half their
    >>> time reporting back bugs in the beta stages this sort of thing would not
    >>> happen - but they don't because most of them are lying frauds who
    >>> probably never even installed something or if they did then the desktop
    >>> up is enough for "all works flawlessly" claims. They never tried
    >>> changing resolution, they never tried a printer or modem or scanner and
    >>> they never tried multiple monitors. It's a crying shame.

    >> I think you have hit the nail on the head Hadron !!!
    >> Obviously, the Ubuntu fanbois are NOT reporting the bugs because the same
    >> bugs propagate from version to version.
    >> The nvidia settings problem for one.

    > "works for me" is always the easiest. Or the following wrong

    ....yes, it must just infuriate your True Lemming soul to think that
    there are people out there that are using Linux in the manner that
    Microsoft claims Windows can be used (and never delivers).

    JEDIDIAH, Apr 27, 2009
  15. Conor

    JEDIDIAH Guest

    On 2009-04-27, Doctor Smith <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 18:24:20 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Doctor Smith <> writes:

    [deletia]

    >>> Yes it is.
    >>> Same problem, although the error message doesn't tell you your disk might
    >>> be full anymore.
    >>> Now it just says "cannot write file".

    >> Shocking : almost the FIRST things people do after an install is want to
    >> configure their (dual) monitor(s).

    ....most people don't have dual monitors, even under Windows.

    Imagine that...

    [deletia]

    Those that do, are probably suitable enough power users that
    they use su and then promptly forget about the "problem".

    Most power users aren'g to waste their time worrying about it or trolling about it.

    JEDIDIAH, Apr 27, 2009
  16. Conor

    Hadron Guest

    JEDIDIAH <> writes:

    > On 2009-04-27, Hadron <> wrote:
    >> Doctor Smith <> writes:

    >>> I think you have hit the nail on the head Hadron !!!
    >>> Obviously, the Ubuntu fanbois are NOT reporting the bugs because the same
    >>> bugs propagate from version to version.
    >>> The nvidia settings problem for one.

    >> "works for me" is always the easiest. Or the following wrong

    > ...yes, it must just infuriate your True Lemming soul to think that
    > there are people out there that are using Linux in the manner that
    > Microsoft claims Windows can be used (and never delivers).

    More word games? You make NO sense. Even a BRIEF visit to the Ubuntu
    forums will show you the issues currently taking hold. It's a mess. And
    the reason is that most people opt for an upgrade. Why a mess?
    Simple. People have been fixing previous versions with poorly thought
    out "howtos" and listening to bad advice. A great example was Liarnut
    hosing his Debian recently on an update. Why? Because he didn't listen
    to me and the "Debian way" and listened to fly by nighters who advocated
    the usage of the nvidia installer. *IT BREAKS DEBIAN*.

    These ARE the facts and all your "works for me" means squat to the
    thousands with upgrade issues.

    Hadron, Apr 29, 2009
  17. Conor

    Hadron Guest

    JEDIDIAH <> writes:

    > On 2009-04-27, Hadron <> wrote:
    >> Doctor Smith <> writes:

    >>> It's one of the big problems along with sound.
    >>> It looks to me that Ubuntu 9.04 was released well before the bugs were
    >>> removed.
    >>>
    >>> The Intel graphics chip is very popular.

    >> Certainly on low end machines which freetards tend to prefer since they
    >> can't play many games etc anyway. I still shake my head when I think of

    > Is that all that a PC is to you really?

    Huh? Where did I say thats "all it is"? More word games from Jeb.

    > There are better platforms for games. Just ask an EA or indie game
    > developer.

    What are you talking about? The PC is far and away the best and most
    powerful (modern HW) gaming platform for the home. Consoles are great
    and more convenient however.

    >> Jeb telling us how virtual desktops where far better than multiple
    >> monitors. He really could not see who and why multiple monitors are

    > Well, at least I don't have to try and figure out where the extra
    > bulk of another monitor or 3 would have to go on this desk that already
    > has several computers on and around it.

    Err, whatever. So now its because you dont have room for another
    monitor. OK .... lets use that to prioritise how X is fixed for the rest
    of the world. Do you never tire of talking nonsense?

    > Why bother when all I am really doing is working around inferior
    > software.

    Huh? You said you use Linux.

    >> useful and how many people use them these days, especially in home media
    >> setups like I have.
    >>

    > Sadly enough, your experience is even less relevant to the vast majority
    > of actual real life Windows users out there than my Linux based setup.
    >
    > Most normal people choose to use their house or their car as their
    > display of conspicuous consuption. It's something that the neighors at
    > least have some chance of seeing (rather than just getting to hear
    > empty braging). Even then, the computing choice for "conspicuous
    > consumption" is usually some sort of Mac rather than a skanky PC.

    err, what?

    > Hadron's playing the part of true Lemming as always...

    You're an empty suit. You had nothing to say and spent paragraphs
    proving it.

    Hadron, Apr 29, 2009
  18. Conor

    Hadron Guest

    JEDIDIAH <> writes:

    > On 2009-04-27, Doctor Smith <> wrote:

    > [deletia]

    >>> Shocking : almost the FIRST things people do after an install is want to
    >>> configure their (dual) monitor(s).

    > ...most people don't have dual monitors, even under Windows.
    >
    > Imagine that...
    >
    > [deletia]
    >
    > Those that do, are probably suitable enough power users that
    > they use su and then promptly forget about the "problem".
    >
    > Most power users aren'g to waste their time worrying about it or
    > trolling about it.

    You're right. Most probably don't. But a HUGE % do. And thats the point
    you are missing. And these are not necessarily power users. My NVidia
    setup on Debian is for the second output to my LCD TV. I use mplayer to
    display on that screen so can play full screen movies while at my PC or
    merely crashed out on the couch. I use xmonad to move the mplayer to the
    second workspace on the second screen since I cant do it based on X
    screen since I use a single x screen using twinview.

    Hadron, Apr 29, 2009
  19. Conor

    Doctor Smith Guest

    On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 16:57:12 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > JEDIDIAH <> writes:

    >>> "works for me" is always the easiest. Or the following wrong

    >> ...yes, it must just infuriate your True Lemming soul to think that
    >> there are people out there that are using Linux in the manner that
    >> Microsoft claims Windows can be used (and never delivers).

    > More word games? You make NO sense. Even a BRIEF visit to the Ubuntu
    > forums will show you the issues currently taking hold. It's a mess. And
    > the reason is that most people opt for an upgrade. Why a mess?
    > Simple. People have been fixing previous versions with poorly thought
    > out "howtos" and listening to bad advice. A great example was Liarnut
    > hosing his Debian recently on an update. Why? Because he didn't listen
    > to me and the "Debian way" and listened to fly by nighters who advocated
    > the usage of the nvidia installer. *IT BREAKS DEBIAN*.
    >
    > These ARE the facts and all your "works for me" means squat to the
    > thousands with upgrade issues.

    Jeb is living on a planet all his own.
    Word games are his way of passing the time.
    He makes little sense and obviously has no clue what the rest of the earth
    is up to.

    Give Jeb a green screen, an IBM 9 pin dot matrix printer and a supply of
    pin feed paper and he will be in heaven.
    Doctor Smith, Apr 29, 2009
  20. Conor

    Doctor Smith Guest

    On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 17:00:24 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > JEDIDIAH <> writes:
    >

    >> Hadron's playing the part of true Lemming as always...

    > You're an empty suit. You had nothing to say and spent paragraphs
    > proving it.

    Amazing isn't it?

    I've never seen someone who can say so little with so many words as Jeb.
    Doctor Smith, Apr 29, 2009