Re: Ubuntu 9.04 Dumbfoundationalism Experiences

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Fred Kasner, Apr 26, 2009.

  1. Fred Kasner

    Fred Kasner Guest

    7 wrote:
> [...]
    > 4. Puppy
    > 5. DSL
    > 6. GParted
    > 7. gOS
    > 8. Dynabolic
    > 9. MoonOS Kachana
    > 10. Xubuntu
    > 11. TinyOS (incredible distro!)
    >

    > (Note the method does not work for .ISO files built with grub bootloader -
    > need a different install method with grub boot loader instead of syslinux.)
    >
    > Try installing something powerful like Ubuntu on to a netbook
    > and see it take netbooks to new heights.
    >

    > 3D Translucent Cube Desktop
    > ---------------------------
    >
    > The latest EEE1000 has fast enough graphics for translucent
    > 3D desktops. An easy way to do all this with Ubuntu is:
    >
    > Install Ubuntu on EEE (compiz itself
    > appears to be installed by default in the default install),
    > then install compiz settings manager using Synaptic
    > which allows compiz to be fully 'exercised'.
    > And then do the following to get the 3D cube desktop
    > working...
    >
    > Go to General > Display Settings > Lighting and turned it off
    > Enable Desktop Cube and then Desktop Cube > Transparent Cube and set the
    > two opacity settings to 30%
    > then Desktop Cube > Skydome and check the skydome check mark
    > Enable Rotate Cube
    > Enable Enhanced Zoom Desktop
    > Right click the virtual workspaces panel and increase the number
    > of colums to 8.
    >
    > And hey presto - 100% 3D translucent desktop with 8 screens!!!!!!!!!!
    >
    > [Some shortcuts for the 3D screen
    > ctrl + alt + left or right arrow to spin cube
    > ctrl + alt + down arrow and then left or right arrow for a ring switcher
    > super + E for yet another switcher
    > super + mouse wheel scroll to zoom in and out of the 3D desktop.
    > ]
    >
    > Reducing Font Sizes And Turning ON Sub Pixel Rendering
    >
    > The EEE can be astonishingly good to look at once the
    > font size is reduced to about 8 and sub pixel rendering
    > is turned ON. It is still absolutely
    > readable and everything appeared like a 'full screen' miniature
    > desktop equivalent of a big desktop PC.
    > System > Appearance > Fonts get to the font settings
    > in Ubuntu. On software like firefox and some other applications,
    > need to also to set local use of fonts ( Edit > Preferences > Content
    > will have font settings for firefox that also need to be changed).
    >

    > VirtualBox
    > ----------
    > Yes! VirtualBox can run on Ubutu set up with 3D translucent desktop.
    > http://www.virtualbox.org
    >
    > Install virtual box and then install programs like windopws XP and run
    > it pretty much at it would run on a normal netbook. Its hard to tell
    > if the netbook is running Linux or the WINDUMMY OSen when the software
    > is run full screen becaue the speed and responsiveness is about
    > the same between a real windummy OSen install and a virtual box
    > virtual machine running it all in Linux.

    I installed two linux boxes. One was a windows box with the linux
    installed alongside Windows in separate directory. You choose windows or
    linux at boot-up or reboot time. The limitation is especially reading
    the stuff that is installed from the CD or DVD. In the former case there
    is a lot of stuff that is compressed. That is a slow read from a CD and
    thence into a HD. Another install I did was on a slow old machine
    without anthing on it save a freshly installed Windows. Strangely it was
    about as fast to install as was the CD install on the newer faster
    machine. But it was installed from a DVD and so had less stuff
    compressed but it also was a fuller set of apps. It didn't have to
    download via internet so much material. If you don't need a lot of apps
    and if you have already decompressed lots of stuff from a CD then the
    process can be a lot faster. Flash memory access is a lot faster than
    accesing compressed data on a CD.
    FK

    Fred Kasner, Apr 26, 2009

  2. Fred Kasner

    Hadron Guest

    Fred Kasner <> writes:

    > I installed two linux boxes. One was a windows box with the linux
    > installed alongside Windows in separate directory. You choose windows
    > or

    You mean partition perhaps?

    > linux at boot-up or reboot time. The limitation is especially reading
    > the stuff that is installed from the CD or DVD. In the former case there
    > is a lot of stuff that is compressed. That is a slow read from a CD and
    > thence into a HD. Another install I did was on a slow old machine
    > without anthing on it save a freshly installed Windows. Strangely it
    > was

    And that would influence an install of Linux how?

    > about as fast to install as was the CD install on the newer faster
    > machine. But it was installed from a DVD and so had less stuff
    > compressed but it also was a fuller set of apps. It didn't have to
    > download via internet so much material. If you don't need a lot of apps
    > and if you have already decompressed lots of stuff from a CD then the
    > process can be a lot faster. Flash memory access is a lot faster than
    > accesing compressed data on a CD.
    > FK

    YOu seem to be vying for the most obvious statement in the world
    award. basically you say if you dont need many apps, or you dont need to
    download from the web or the source is not compressed it might be
    faster.

    In some cases compressed source can be faster : the CPU can decompress
    the data faster than the CD can stream it so the result is a faster
    install...

    It seems a bit mixed up. The only thing I would counter is that it
    depends if the data on the flash memory is compressed ...

    --
    In view of all the deadly computer viruses that have been spreading
    lately, Weekend Update would like to remind you: when you link up to

    Hadron, Apr 26, 2009