Re: Ubuntu 9.04 Dumbfoundationalism Experiences

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by RonB, Apr 26, 2009.

  1. RonB

    RonB Guest

    bcoombes wrote:
    > 7 wrote:
    >> Ubuntu 9.04 Dumbfoundationalism Experiences
    >>
    >> I just don't believe it!
    >>
    >> I downloaded and installed Ubuntu 9.04 on an Asus EEE.
    >>
    >> It took me 17 minutes from clicking start of installation
    >> to finishing installation, booting up
    >> AND browsing first web page!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    >>

    > and then it took another 5 hours to get a printer up and running with it.

    No, he was installing Ubuntu, not Vista.

    (You should pay attention when you read.)

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

    RonB, Apr 26, 2009

  2. RonB

    RonB Guest

    bcoombes wrote:
    > RonB wrote:
    >> bcoombes wrote:

    >>> and then it took another 5 hours to get a printer up and running with
    >>> it.

    >> No, he was installing Ubuntu, not Vista.
    >>
    >> (You should pay attention when you read.)
    >>

    > It took me exactly 5 minutes to install an HP 1006 laserjet on
    > Vista...Of course no doubt a retarded fuckwit like you would have taken
    > days.
    > HTH..hand

    That's the wonderful thing about Linux -- once you're done installing
    it, you're done. Printer drivers? Already there. Office Suite, already
    there. Network drivers, already there. Once you get Widnows (whatever
    version) installed, then you begin installing the drivers and the
    necessary applications.

    So, five minutes to install a printer driver that's already there with
    Linux... still not very impressive.

    (And how many reboots did it take?)

    RonB, Apr 26, 2009

  3. RonB

    Hadron Guest

    bcoombes <bcoombes@orangedotnet> writes:

    > RonB wrote:
    >> bcoombes wrote:

    >>> and then it took another 5 hours to get a printer up and running with it.

    >> No, he was installing Ubuntu, not Vista.
    >>
    >> (You should pay attention when you read.)
    >>

    > It took me exactly 5 minutes to install an HP 1006 laserjet on Vista...Of course
    > no doubt a retarded fuckwit like you would have taken days.
    > HTH..hand

    WronG (aka RonB) keeps telling us he spent his entire working days
    "battling trojans and viruses" and installing "malware detectors" and
    then "defragging". You know the usual claims of MS hating, basement
    dwelling Linux loonies. Clearly he's either a liar or as thick as two
    short planks. Most of us plump for the latter. I used to use XP and
    never once got a virus. And never manually ran any sort of virus check.

    --
    In view of all the deadly computer viruses that have been spreading
    lately, Weekend Update would like to remind you: when you link up to

    Hadron, Apr 26, 2009
  4. bcoombes wrote:

    > RonB wrote:
    >> bcoombes wrote:

    >>> and then it took another 5 hours to get a printer up and running with
    >>> it.

    >> No, he was installing Ubuntu, not Vista.
    >>
    >> (You should pay attention when you read.)
    >>

    > It took me exactly 5 minutes to install an HP 1006 laserjet on
    > Vista...

    It took you *that* long?
    Hint: It takes all of about 20 *seconds* to have such a printer up and
    running on linux.
    If connected remotely. Connected locally it takes nothing. It is up and
    running automatically
    --
    Just out of curiosity does this actually mean something or have some
    of the few remaining bits of your brain just evaporated?

    Peter Köhlmann, Apr 26, 2009
  5. RonB

    Hadron Guest

    RonB <> writes:

    > bcoombes wrote:
    >> RonB wrote:

    >>> No, he was installing Ubuntu, not Vista.
    >>>
    >>> (You should pay attention when you read.)
    >>>

    >> It took me exactly 5 minutes to install an HP 1006 laserjet on
    >> Vista...Of course no doubt a retarded fuckwit like you would have taken
    >> days.
    >> HTH..hand

    > That's the wonderful thing about Linux -- once you're done installing
    > it, you're done. Printer drivers? Already there. Office Suite, already
    > there. Network drivers, already there. Once you get Widnows (whatever

    You know so little its scary. The presence of MANY things depends on
    distro and install options never mind compile time options.

    > version) installed, then you begin installing the drivers and the
    > necessary applications.
    >
    > So, five minutes to install a printer driver that's already there with
    > Linux... still not very impressive.
    >
    > (And how many reboots did it take?)

    At least most if not all of the features work with the non generic
    drivers.

    But in general I agree that Linux installation has come on in leaps and
    bounds and is MUCH better than it was.

    Without a doubt thought the easiest install I ever did was installing
    Vista into Virtualbox 2.1 on Lenny.

    Hadron, Apr 26, 2009
  6. bcoombes wrote:
    > RonB wrote:
    >> bcoombes wrote:

    >>> It took me exactly 5 minutes to install an HP 1006 laserjet on
    >>> Vista...Of course no doubt a retarded fuckwit like you would have
    >>> taken days.
    >>> HTH..hand

    >> That's the wonderful thing about Linux -- once you're done installing
    >> it, you're done. Printer drivers? Already there. Office Suite, already
    >> there. Network drivers, already there. Once you get Widnows (whatever
    >> version) installed, then you begin installing the drivers and the
    >> necessary applications.
    >>
    >> So, five minutes to install a printer driver that's already there with
    >> Linux...

    > HelpDesk ....How can I help you Sir?
    > Customer ...I'm installing Linux.
    > HelpDesk ...And what is the problem Sir?
    > Customer ... I'm having problems installing my wireless card and printer.
    > HelpDesk ...Yes Sir, I believe you already said that.

    Nah not any more, try 9.04 - wireless and printer "problems" are licked.

    All you guys with time on your hands - download a LiveCd and have a go,
    you can kiss your pirated copies of Windows and Office goodbye.

    Caulfield_man, Apr 26, 2009
  7. RonB

    RonB Guest

    bcoombes wrote:
    > RonB wrote:
    >> bcoombes wrote:

    >>> It took me exactly 5 minutes to install an HP 1006 laserjet on
    >>> Vista...Of course no doubt a retarded fuckwit like you would have
    >>> taken days.
    >>> HTH..hand

    >> That's the wonderful thing about Linux -- once you're done installing
    >> it, you're done. Printer drivers? Already there. Office Suite, already
    >> there. Network drivers, already there. Once you get Widnows (whatever
    >> version) installed, then you begin installing the drivers and the
    >> necessary applications.
    >>
    >> So, five minutes to install a printer driver that's already there with
    >> Linux...

    > HelpDesk ....How can I help you Sir?
    > Customer ...I'm installing Linux.
    > HelpDesk ...And what is the problem Sir?
    > Customer ... I'm having problems installing my wireless card and printer.
    > HelpDesk ...Yes Sir, I believe you already said that.

    Wow, deep argument. Just rewind and repeat the same FUD lies. That's so
    convincing.

    On the other hand, in the real world, I've used Puppy Linux, several
    times, to download Windows network drivers -- so that I could get
    Windows on the Net and download the other necessary drivers it still
    needed after installation.

    RonB, Apr 27, 2009
  8. RonB

    Doctor Smith Guest

    On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 22:25:08 +0100, bcoombes wrote:

    > HelpDesk ....How can I help you Sir?
    > Customer ...I'm installing Linux.
    > HelpDesk ...And what is the problem Sir?
    > Customer ... I'm having problems installing my wireless card and printer.
    > HelpDesk ...Yes Sir, I believe you already said that.

    That's a good one !!!!

    Doctor Smith, Apr 27, 2009
  9. On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 12:05:55 +0100, above the shrieking & whining of the
    trolls, bcoombes was heard to say:

    > Fox in the COLA Hen House wrote:
    >> bcoombes wrote:

    >>> Question... How many Linux people does it take to change a light bulb?
    >>> Answer.... Ten, One to change the bulb and Nine to shout about how
    >>> much harder it would have been under Windows.

    >> Look, your engaging two COLA loons Ron the Bum and Usenet Daddy
    >> Kholmann. Both of them are llorts, responders, and you can reverse spell
    >> the word.
    >>
    >> They live to respond and you're wasting your time with them.
    > >

    > Ok, muppets KF'd. :)

    YHBT.

    <uk.comp.os.linux,uk.comp.homebuilt> crossposting snipped

    --
    Conficker, coming to a M$ windows
    machine near you!

    William Poaster, Apr 27, 2009