Re: Ubuntu 9.04 Dumbfoundationalism Experiences

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by johannes, Apr 26, 2009.

  1. johannes

    johannes Guest

    7 wrote:

    > Ubuntu 9.04 Dumbfoundationalism Experiences
    >
    > I just don't believe it!
    >
    > I downloaded and installed Ubuntu 9.04 on an Asus EEE.
    >
    > It took me 17 minutes from clicking start of installation
    > to finishing installation, booting up
    > AND browsing first web page!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    >
    > WHAT AN ACHIEVEMENT FOR THE UBUNTU TEAM!!!!!
    > HIP HIP HOORAY!
    > HIP HIP HOORAY!!
    > HIP HIP HOORAY!!!
    >
    > I am *totally* dumb founded!!
    >
    > Ubuntu 9.04 is technically just astonishing!!
    >
    > Nothing as powerful exists for the PC in the whole world.
    > And nothing as powerful as this has existed in the PC's entire history!!!
    >
    > 2Gb of software installed including open office, networking,
    > browser, user management, gimp, email, music/movie player,
    > DVD burner, synaptic, rsync, etc. etc.. etc..
    >
    > To make matters 'worse', I didn't even install to the internal
    > disks, I installed to a 2.5" 40Gb external pocket drive
    > running off of a USB port!!!
    >
    > Since I didn't believe the install time, I thought I must have
    > made a mistake with the mental note of time.
    > So I installed again!
    > And its 17 minutes again from pressing the install button to booting
    > up the new install and opening up firefox and then typing
    > google and getting first page up!!!
    >
    > Since the EEE 1000 hasn't got an optical drive, I installed with
    > from the SD Card formatted to EXT2 (Micoshaft FAT format is a disaster
    > for an SD Card and won't work at these speeds)
    >
    > Here below some pointers to how it all got done...
    >
    > Using extlinux to convert a liveCD iso to bootable SD card
    >
    > Converting an ISO file to a bootable USB stick or a bootable
    > SD Card for EEE is easy.
    >
    > Without being able to convert a distro into a bootable USB flash /SD Card,
    > that distro can't be easily loaded into netbook like EEE
    > and stand to miss out on users installing it into netbooks.
    >
    > So I would recommend all distro mainters look at their netbook
    > boot strategy and offer something to boot their distros
    > from USB flash and SD cards or miss out on users installing it into
    > netbooks.
    >
    > Having done a few conversions, a pattern emerges that works well for
    > most syslinux / isolinux / extlinux based distros.
    >
    > 1. Put your SD card or USB flash drive into your desktop Linux PC and
    > then open a console and type dmesg
    > You should see some line indicating your flash drive as
    > being picked up and allocated with a comment like sdc / sdc1 etc..
    > Remember both names - the first is /dev/sdc which is your
    > device name, and the second is /dev/sdc1 which is your partition name.
    > (Don't get confused between drive /dev/sdc and partition /dev/sdc1
    > or your drive could become scrambled eggs later on. Also remember
    > it may be called sdg or sdh etc depending what you see when you
    > plug in device and type dmesg)
    >
    > 2. Install gparted on your machine using synaptic.
    > To run it you can type
> [...]

    OK, so you're an LINUX expert. Not an installation that everyone could
    have done so easily, considering the missing CD/DVD drive on the system.
    Things are always quick and easy for those who have the correct info.
    But thanks for sharing your experience here. Using alternative OS is
    always interesting. There is a world out there of alternative OS. Take
    e.g. mobiles, they run various OS. I just got an LG970 for £34.99, and
    it can read pdf and MS Word files with full graphics! Naturally, text
    is small, but you can pan + zoom. Not ideal for reading docs, but
    impressive nevertheless.

    johannes, Apr 26, 2009