Re: Ubuntu 9.04 Dumbfoundationalism Experiences

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bambleweeny57, Apr 26, 2009.

  1. 7 wrote:
    > Ubuntu 9.04 Dumbfoundationalism Experiences

    I'm upgrading a laptop with an encrypted disk (from 8.10 to 9.04) right
    now and I have to admit I'm slightly nervous.

    I've had one upgrade fail - the system hung after logging on. I think I
    know what caused it, the alarm-clock app of all things.

    But having successfully installed I have to say I am impressed by the
    improvements in boot time and general responsiveness.

    BW

    --
    Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

    Bambleweeny57, Apr 26, 2009

  2. 7 wrote:
    > Bambleweeny57 wrote:
    >
    >> 7 wrote:
    >>> Ubuntu 9.04 Dumbfoundationalism Experiences

    >> I'm upgrading a laptop with an encrypted disk (from 8.10 to 9.04) right
    >> now and I have to admit I'm slightly nervous.
    >>
    >> I've had one upgrade fail - the system hung after logging on. I think I
    >> know what caused it, the alarm-clock app of all things.
    >>
    >> But having successfully installed I have to say I am impressed by the
    >> improvements in boot time and general responsiveness.

    > It goes without saying upgrades should be done after a back up of ALL DATA.

    I work from two desktops and two laptops - I have created my own "cloud"
    to store my data so its independent of the machine itself (using a
    combination of subversion, unison and foxmarks). I've also created my
    own ubuntu package that sets up my machine the way I like it, from a
    vanilla ubuntu install.

    > Good to hear your upgrade went through OK.

    So far - one upgrade failed, two succeeded (including the laptop w. the
    encrypted disk).

    > I plan a few upgrades instead of re-installs myself.

    I have to say I am impressed by Ubuntu's upgrade process. In the past I
    have been badly burnt by both windows & linux upgrades to the point
    where I no longer bother and go straight to clean installs. I tried the
    8.04 to 8.10 upgrade more as an experiment than a serious attempt to
    upgrade a live machine. It worked so well I've used for the last few
    months... without any issues. Quite suprising given how much I muck
    machines around :)

    BW

    --
    Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

    Bambleweeny57, Apr 26, 2009