Re: Ubuntu 8.04

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Jasen Betts, Aug 22, 2008.

  1. Jasen Betts

    Jasen Betts Guest

    On 2008-08-21, Carnations <> wrote:

    > On a totally unrelated note, I just found out today that MS Exchange
    > craps on itself and will start throwing errors if it is not given semi-
    > regular offline defrags of the database. Apparently this because, like
    > the MS Windows Registry, it only ever expands in size on disc and never
    > reduces, and because after a while the degree of fragmentation gets to
    > the point where MS Exchange cannot serve up the requisite data within
    > even a prolonged timeframe.
    >
    > Apparently this has been fixed in Exchange 2007 by using a MS SQL Server
    > as the database for the MS Exchange mail store.
    >
    > Frankly, I think it is rather extreme overkill for a rather stupid and
    > very basic fault.

    but it's the simplest solution, much easier than turning access which
    is (as I understand it) what previous versions of exchange used into a
    reliable database.

    Bye.
    Jasen

    Jasen Betts, Aug 22, 2008

  2. Jasen Betts

    Enkidu Guest

    Jasen Betts wrote:
    > On 2008-08-21, Carnations <> wrote:
    >
    >> On a totally unrelated note, I just found out today that MS Exchange
    >> craps on itself and will start throwing errors if it is not given semi-
    >> regular offline defrags of the database. Apparently this because, like
    >> the MS Windows Registry, it only ever expands in size on disc and never
    >> reduces, and because after a while the degree of fragmentation gets to
    >> the point where MS Exchange cannot serve up the requisite data within
    >> even a prolonged timeframe.
    >>
    >> Apparently this has been fixed in Exchange 2007 by using a MS SQL Server
    >> as the database for the MS Exchange mail store.
    >>
    >> Frankly, I think it is rather extreme overkill for a rather stupid and
    >> very basic fault.

    > but it's the simplest solution, much easier than turning access which
    > is (as I understand it) what previous versions of exchange used into a
    > reliable database.

    Not quite true. Access uses the Jet database as a back end. You might
    consider Access to be a GUI on front of a Jet database. Exchange uses a
    highly optimised version of the Jet database.

    Somewhat similar to the way that MySQL at one time used the BDB as a
    backend. It now uses a number of backends.

    Tip: You want to annoy a MySQL fan? Refer to MySQL as a 'front end' to a
    'real' database.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    "I LOVE IT!!" - my biggest fan and follower, on a newsgroup, somewhere.

    Enkidu, Aug 22, 2008

  3. Jasen Betts

    Enkidu Guest

    Carnations wrote:
    > On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 23:14:40 +1200, Enkidu wrote:
    >
    >> Tip: You want to annoy a MySQL fan? Refer to MySQL as a 'front end' to a
    >> 'real' database.

    > What database applications does MySQL use as its back end?

    These days there is a choice. One moment..... I think by default it is
    InnoDB. It used to be Berkely DB (BDB). You get to choose when you
    install it manually. A package install may not let you choose. It's all
    on the MySQL site if you search around. I believe that it was once
    possible (but maybe not supported) to run it over flat text files.

    Latest moves seem to be towards integrating the DB Engine with the
    product directly (I guessing that it will use Adabas).

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    "I LOVE IT!!" - my biggest fan and follower, on a newsgroup, somewhere.

    Enkidu, Aug 23, 2008
  4. Jasen Betts

    Enkidu Guest

    Carnations wrote:
    > On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 23:14:40 +1200, Enkidu wrote:
    >
    >> Tip: You want to annoy a MySQL fan? Refer to MySQL as a 'front end' to a
    >> 'real' database.

    > What database applications does MySQL use as its back end?

    Ah, here you go:

    http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/6.0/en/storage-engines.html

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    "I LOVE IT!!" - my biggest fan and follower, on a newsgroup, somewhere.

    Enkidu, Aug 23, 2008