Re: U.S. agents can seize travelers' laptops: report

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Peter, Aug 2, 2008.

  1. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Brian Mathews wrote:
    > More than just laptops
    > http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSN0126069520080801
    > The policies cover hard drives, flash drives, cell phones, iPods, pagers,
    > beepers, and video and audio tapes -- as well as books, pamphlets and
    > other written materials, the report said.

    The Labour led government in NZ is looking to enact similar provisions here,
    under the guise of "protecting copyright".
    http://acta.lemming-brothers.com/tiki-index.php
    http://www.med.govt.nz/templates/MultipageDocumentTOC____36124.aspx

    Peter, Aug 2, 2008

  2. Peter

    impossible Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote in message
    > Brian Mathews wrote:
    >> More than just laptops
    >> http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSN0126069520080801
    >> The policies cover hard drives, flash drives, cell phones, iPods, pagers,
    >> beepers, and video and audio tapes -- as well as books, pamphlets and
    >> other written materials, the report said.

    > The Labour led government in NZ is looking to enact similar provisions
    > here,
    > under the guise of "protecting copyright".
    > http://acta.lemming-brothers.com/tiki-index.php
    > http://www.med.govt.nz/templates/MultipageDocumentTOC____36124.aspx

    What "similar provisions"? Go ahead, name one.

    impossible, Aug 2, 2008

  3. Peter

    Peter Guest

    impossible wrote:
    > "Peter" <> wrote in message
    >> Brian Mathews wrote:
    >>> More than just laptops
    >>> http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSN0126069520080801
    >>> The policies cover hard drives, flash drives, cell phones, iPods,
    >>> pagers, beepers, and video and audio tapes -- as well as books,
    >>> pamphlets and other written materials, the report said.

    >> The Labour led government in NZ is looking to enact similar provisions
    >> here, under the guise of "protecting copyright".
    >> http://acta.lemming-brothers.com/tiki-index.php
    >> http://www.med.govt.nz/templates/MultipageDocumentTOC____36124.aspx

    > What "similar provisions"? Go ahead, name one.

    eg confiscating laptops at the border
    http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/story.html?id=ac94392c-7e05-4e30-af00-f237e9c23a9d
    (this reference is from Canada, but it is the same ACTA negotiation.)

    Peter, Aug 3, 2008
  4. Peter

    impossible Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote in message
    > impossible wrote:
    >> "Peter" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> The Labour led government in NZ is looking to enact similar provisions
    >>> here, under the guise of "protecting copyright".
    >>> http://acta.lemming-brothers.com/tiki-index.php
    >>> http://www.med.govt.nz/templates/MultipageDocumentTOC____36124.aspx

    >> What "similar provisions"? Go ahead, name one.

    > eg confiscating laptops at the border
    > http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/story.html?id=ac94392c-7e05-4e30-af00-f237e9c23a9d
    > (this reference is from Canada, but it is the same ACTA negotiation.)

    You haven't answered the question. What "similar provisions" is "the Labour
    led government in NZ is looking to enact"? And please now don't give me an
    example from Romania.

    impossible, Aug 3, 2008
  5. Peter

    Peter Guest

    impossible wrote:

    > You haven't answered the question. What "similar provisions" is "the
    > Labour led government in NZ is looking to enact"? And please now
    > don't give me an example from Romania.

    You can read the MED link above to see what the government is looking at.
    The ACTA provides the similar provisions.
    (BTW Romania is not in Canda.)

    Peter, Aug 3, 2008
  6. Peter

    impossible Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote in message
    > impossible wrote:
    >> "Peter" <> wrote in message

    >>> eg confiscating laptops at the border
    >>> http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/story.html?id=ac94392c-7e05-4e30-af00-f237e9c23a9d
    >>> (this reference is from Canada, but it is the same ACTA negotiation.)
    >>>

    >> You haven't answered the question. What "similar provisions" is "the
    >> Labour
    >> led government in NZ is looking to enact"? And please now don't give me
    >> an
    >> example from Romania.

    >>> You can read the MED link above to see what the government is looking
    >>> at.

    > The ACTA provides the similar provisions.
    > (BTW Romania is not in Canda.)

    According the NZ government's FAQ on the subject, the "provisions" of ACTA
    that they are looking at are the following:

    "International Cooperation: Cooperation among the parties is a key component
    of
    the agreement - including sharing of information and cooperation between our
    law
    enforcement authorities, including Customs and other relevant agencies.
    Areas
    for possible provisions include:

    "Capacity building and technical assistance in improving enforcement; and

    "International cooperation among enforcement agencies.

    "Enforcement Practices: It is necessary to establish enforcement practices
    that
    promote strong intellectual property protection in coordination with right
    holders and trading partners. Such "best practices" would support the
    application of the relevant legal tools, as outlined by the Legal Framework.
    Areas for possible provisions include:

    "Formal or informal public/private advisory groups;

    "Fostering of specialized intellectual property expertise within law
    enforcement
    structures to ensure effective handling of IPR cases; and

    "Measures for raising consumer public awareness about the importance of IPR
    protection and the detrimental effects of IPR infringements.

    "Legal Framework: It is critical to have a strong and modern legal framework
    so
    that law enforcement agencies, the judiciary, and private citizens have the
    most
    up-to-date tools necessary to effectively bring counterfeiters and pirates
    justice. Areas for possible provisions include:

    "Criminal enforcement;

    "Border measures;

    "Civil enforcement;

    "Optical disc piracy; and

    "Internet distribution and information technology"

    http://www.med.govt.nz/templates/MultipageDocumentTOC____34358.aspx

    Nothing there about confiscating laptops without any need to show cause, as
    US border security agents are currently authorized to do whenever they claim
    to have identified a potential "terrorist".

    BTW, Canda (sic) is not in New Zealand, so if you're going to reference some
    other hysterical blog on the subject, at least try to make it relevant.

    impossible, Aug 3, 2008
  7. Peter

    impossible Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > impossible wrote:
    >
    >> According the NZ government's FAQ on the subject, the "provisions" of
    >> ACTA that they are looking at are the following:
    >>
    >> "International Cooperation: Cooperation among the parties is a key
    >> component of
    >> the agreement - including sharing of information and cooperation between
    >> our law
    >> enforcement authorities, including Customs and other relevant agencies.
    >> Areas
    >> for possible provisions include:

    >> "Border measures;

    >> Nothing there about confiscating laptops without any need to show cause,
    >> as US border security agents are currently authorized to do whenever they
    >> claim to have identified a potential "terrorist".
    >>
    >> BTW, Canda (sic) is not in New Zealand, so if you're going to reference
    >> some other hysterical blog on the subject, at least try to make it
    >> relevant.

    > You expect them to spell it out on a publicly available report in simple
    > terms that the average muppet can understand?

    That's how things are done in NZ, yes. The exact terms of any treaty must be
    made available to the public for comment. Muppets like Peter don't seem to
    understand that, so he and his mates think they can get away with inventing
    woeful "provisions" that have no basis in reality, just to scare people
    about the idea of protecting intellectual property.

    impossible, Aug 4, 2008
  8. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Peter, Aug 4, 2008
  9. Peter

    impossible Guest

    impossible, Aug 4, 2008
  10. In article <>, Peter <> wrote:
    >Brian Mathews wrote:
    >> More than just laptops
    >> http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSN0126069520080801
    >> The policies cover hard drives, flash drives, cell phones, iPods, pagers,
    >> beepers, and video and audio tapes -- as well as books, pamphlets and
    >> other written materials, the report said.

    >The Labour led government in NZ is looking to enact similar provisions here,
    >under the guise of "protecting copyright".
    >http://acta.lemming-brothers.com/tiki-index.php
    >http://www.med.govt.nz/templates/MultipageDocumentTOC____36124.aspx

    Thankfully, sane people will ignore this law should it be passed. As we do
    now with format shifting. Sometimes my faith in people is restored. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Aug 11, 2008
  11. Peter

    impossible Guest

    "Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    in message news:g7o082$a4v$...
    > In article <>, Peter <>
    > wrote:
    >>Brian Mathews wrote:
    >>> More than just laptops
    >>> http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSN0126069520080801
    >>> The policies cover hard drives, flash drives, cell phones, iPods,
    >>> pagers,
    >>> beepers, and video and audio tapes -- as well as books, pamphlets and
    >>> other written materials, the report said.

    >>The Labour led government in NZ is looking to enact similar provisions
    >>here,
    >>under the guise of "protecting copyright".
    >>http://acta.lemming-brothers.com/tiki-index.php
    >>http://www.med.govt.nz/templates/MultipageDocumentTOC____36124.aspx

    > Thankfully, sane people will ignore this law should it be passed. As we do
    > now with format shifting. Sometimes my faith in people is restored. :)

    Why do libertarians thiunk they should be able to pick and choose the laws
    they will obey? If you don't respect intellectual property, that's your
    business, but you surely will be required to obey the law or suffer the
    consequences.

    impossible, Aug 11, 2008