Re: Two Towers Defective on PS2!!

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Nicholas Andrade, Sep 3, 2003.

  1. LASERandDVDfan wrote:
    >>I still don't get it. Okay, let's say the info on the GC disc is
    >>represented by the sentence "I really like the new Zelda game,
    >>even though it's cell-shaded and looks funny."

    > Okay, I'll be more specific.
    >
    > What DVD recorder is capable of writing the TOC close to the outer edge of the
    > disc? For that matter, what DVD drive is made to look for the TOC in that same
    > area and read in a reverse spiral on layer 0, provided that the disc is dual
    > layer? (On an RSDL DVD, the two layers are called layer 0 and layer 1).
    >
    > If you put a Gamecube disc inside a DVD-ROM drive, guess what's going to
    > happen. What will happen is that the drive will not be able to sync up to the
    > disc because the physical formatting (the actual pit and land track pattern on
    > the disc) is totally different. It will attempt to look for a TOC near the
    > centre hub as opposed to where GC discs keeps it, which is closer to the outer
    > edge. Not only that, but a GC disc is written in a reverse spiral where it
    > would normally be written from the centre going out. A computer DVD drive is
    > simply not designed to read a disc that is written in the manner that GC
    > software is written, so it simply will not read it. There are no DVD-ROM
    > computer drives available for consumer use that is capable of reading this
    > proprietary format, either. Drives and recorders that are capable of dealing
    > with GC discs are most likely only available for sale, or perhaps even loaned
    > from Nintendo, to licensed developers only and is not intended for use or
    > possession by the public.
    >
    > You can't copy what the drive can't read, and you can't write in a way that's
    > essentially a non-standard DVD-ROM format that is proprietary to the GC.
    >
    > There is a way to break it, but the format was devised to make a working GC
    > copy a difficult and expensive proposition to the point where it wouldn't be
    > worth it, even though it is possible. Modding a GC wouldn't be a piece of
    > cake, either, as you have to get the console's disc drive to read a disc in a
    > way that it wasn't designed and perhaps even optimally calibrated for. This
    > isn't like trying to get a CD-R copy to work in a PlayStation, you know. You
    > would literally have to make intensive modifications to the disc drive syscon
    > and servo control, which would be prohibitively expensive. - Reinhart

    I presume the Q is able to read from both sides, as it obviously can
    read DVD's and CD's in addition to GC games from the same drive. As to
    your statement that you can't write what you can't read, I imagine the
    easiest method of reading the disc would be to use the broadband adaptor
    to copy the disc to a HDD. This was the original method used to copy
    Dreamcast games off of their proprietary GD-ROMs. How to trick the
    adaptor to behave like this is difficult, but I imagine its possible. I
    wonder if Nintendo designed the Q drive to only be able to play games if
    the disc is read backward.

    Adios,
    ~Nick

    Nicholas Andrade, Sep 3, 2003

  2. >I presume the Q is able to read from both sides, as it obviously can
    >read DVD's and CD's in addition to GC games from the same drive.

    But that's because the Panasonic Q is designed to, with each mode specifically
    calibrated to that task and the laser having more than one frequency mode to
    operate on. (One for DVD media, the other for CD media, especially if dealing
    with CD-Rs)

    >As to
    >your statement that you can't write what you can't read, I imagine the
    >easiest method of reading the disc would be to use the broadband adaptor
    >to copy the disc to a HDD.

    Only if the Gamecube will allow outside disc drive access through the broadband
    network connection. Also, you cannot just copy that information onto a
    mini-DVD. The information must be written in the same physical format as the
    original, which is written in a way that violates the DVD standard. (Reverse
    spiral on layer 0 of dual layer disc and reverse spiral on single layer disc.
    Specifications call for normal spiral on layer 0 and reverse spiral for layer
    1, or normal spiral for single layer discs.) Otherwise, the GC will not read
    the copy.

    This may be similar to the Dreamcast, but similarity and exact likeness are two
    different things. The GC uses a totally proprietary format to a much higher
    extent than that of the Dreamcast. It is not designed to read Gamecube games
    off anything but Gamecube formatted discs. For that matter, a regular Gamecube
    is incapable of reading anything BUT discs physically formatted in the
    proprietary Panasonic/Nintendo format. At least with the Dreamcast, you could
    read CD-R media in addition to audio CDs and Yamaha/Sega GD-ROM formatted
    discs.

    Copy a game over to a mini-DVD disc, the GC will not read it unless you manage
    to write the information backwards in a manner that allows a reverse spiral in
    the normal counterclockwise rotation from the laser's point of view, which
    would be against the pilot track for the recording laser on a recordable disc.
    To make this work, you're going to have to make a recordable disc which can
    mimic the physical formatting and a DVD recorder designed to record in the same
    reverse spiral as the original.

    It would be possible to modify a Q to read a standard DVD recordable media to
    play copied Gamecube games, but more people will still play GC games on the
    standard Nintendo GC console, which means the piracy scene for copied GC games
    may remain a small niche. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Sep 3, 2003