Re: Two PC's on crossover kills WiFi

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by John, Apr 15, 2008.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Set the "interface metric" on your WiFi NIC to be higher than that of wired
    NIC.

    Read the following:
    http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/6c7c7ab2-cfdc-4dfe-8560-570d3859f5b11033.mspx
    Particularly the following section:

    Using multiple gateways

    If you have multiple interfaces and you configure a default gateway for each
    interface, TCP/IP by default automatically calculates an interface metric
    that is based on the speed of the interface. The interface metric becomes
    the metric of the default route in the routing table for the configured
    default gateway. The interface with the highest speed has the lowest metric
    for its default route. The result is that whenever multiple default gateways
    are configured on multiple interfaces, the fastest interface will be used to
    forward traffic to its default gateway.

    John, Apr 15, 2008

  2. John

    John Guest

    I meant to say "lower" instead of "higher". Lower interface metric has
    higher precedence.

    John, Apr 15, 2008