Re: Tweaking monitor calibration

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by nospam, Mar 21, 2011.

  1. nospam

    nospam Guest

    In article <isw-678A27.10114521032011@[216.168.3.50]>, isw
    <> wrote:

    > I've been trying to get a good color calibration on my 2006 MacBook's
    > screen; seems to me it was better when it was newer. I think the
    > fluorescent tube may have aged and changed its color. Things way way too
    > blue.

    maybe slightly, but it's unlikely it would fade enough that it be 'way
    too blue.'

    > Problem is, when the calibrator is invoked, it doesn't start from the
    > previous settings, it starts from scratch, every time. If the color
    > errors are subtle, repeated calibrations don't make it "better" they
    > just wind up "different" -- and still wrong.
    >
    > What I'd like, is a way to tweak the current calibration, similar to how
    > you can tweak a photo in GIMP or Photoshop -- just cut a bit of blue in
    > the highlights, or whatever.
    >
    > Is there any way of doing that? Any tools that make it possible/easy?

    to properly calibrate a display, you need a hardware colour puck. they
    range in cost from under $100 on up. trying to do it visually is a
    guessing game and never works properly because the eye is not very
    precise.

    the default profile is generally pretty good, so you could reset it and
    go with that, then adjust the image in photoshop. what you *don't* want
    to do is fix image problems in a profile because every image is
    different, and they'll look totally wrong on a different computer.

    nospam, Mar 21, 2011

  2. nospam

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Better Info
    <> wrote:

    > >to properly calibrate a display, you need a hardware colour puck. they
    > >range in cost from under $100 on up. trying to do it visually is a
    > >guessing game and never works properly because the eye is not very
    > >precise.

    > Correction: MOST people's eyes are not very precise.

    everyone's eyes. it's physiology.

    > One friend's mother
    > would amaze me with her ability to perceive, and even more uncannily,
    > remember colors accurately. She could go into a fabric-store and notice a
    > color she wanted, but the price would be too high. Then a week later notice
    > the same color in another store made by some other company, and buy it
    > because it was at a good price. When taking a swatch back to the first
    > store they'd be identical.

    bullshit.

    nospam, Mar 21, 2011

  3. nospam

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Better Info
    <> wrote:

    > You might want to try using some simple calibration graphics that I use for
    > a quick spot check for manual adjustments for when there's a change in
    > ambient lighting. I keep them all in a handy \sysfiles\mon-calibration\
    > folder on each of my machines. I got them from
    >
    > <http://www.aim-dtp.net/aim/evaluation/index.htm>
    >
    > Hmm... that whole domain appears to be gone now. Too bad.

    that was timo autiokari's page, and maybe he finally realized it was
    complete rubbish and proven wrong by numerous people, including colour
    scientists at adobe and kodak, so he removed it to save himself further
    embarrassment. his big thing was everything should be done in 1.0
    gamma, which is pure nonsense.

    > I did some "exact-string" google searches using text from the pages I
    > archived, but came up empty. A damn shame that's all gone from the net now.
    > But I totally understand why people do that. I've taken down my own massive
    > websites as well.

    more bullshit.

    nospam, Mar 22, 2011
  4. nospam

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Mar 21, 9:52 pm, Better Info <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 14:16:59 -0500, nospam <> wrote:

    > >> Correction: MOST people's eyes are not very precise.

    > >everyone's eyes. it's physiology.

    > >> One friend's mother
    > >> would amaze me with her ability to perceive, and even more uncannily,
    > >> remember colors accurately. She could go into a fabric-store and notice a
    > >> color she wanted, but the price would be too high. Then a week later notice
    > >> the same color in another store made by some other company, and buy it
    > >> because it was at a good price. When taking a swatch back to the first
    > >> store they'd be identical.

    > >bullshit.

    > NOPE!
    >
    > Take this test:http://www.xrite.com/custom_page.aspx?PageID=77
    >
    > Then report back, being honest (can you do that?).

    I got 76, but not sure what it actually means :)

    I wonder what Dudley would get ;-)

    Whisky-dave, Mar 22, 2011
  5. nospam

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Tom
    Stiller <> wrote:

    > Unlike sound, there is always "clutter" in vision experiments outside
    > the laboratory. Surrounds, lighting, and other factors distort the
    > mind's perception. Consider:
    > <http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomstiller/5550052613/>

    another good illusion is this one:

    <http://www.psy.ritsumei.ac.jp/~akitaoka/Monspiral4.jpg>

    it looks like there are blue spirals, but they're actually green, the
    same green as in the green spirals. measure it.

    nospam, Mar 22, 2011
  6. In article
    <>,
    Whisky-dave <> wrote:

    > > Take this test:http://www.xrite.com/custom_page.aspx?PageID=77
    > >
    > > Then report back, being honest (can you do that?).

    > I got 76, but not sure what it actually means :)

    I got 18, for what it's worth.

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

    Michelle Steiner, Mar 22, 2011
  7. nospam

    MartinC Guest

    Savageduck wrote:

    >>> I got 76, but not sure what it actually means :)

    >> I got 18, for what it's worth.

    > Just for the Hell of it, I got a 4.

    Gosh... got a zero. It took me some time to figure out that it meant that
    all 4 rows were correct.

    But I have to admit that I'm a photographer and use a triniton CRT monitor,
    callibrated with the Spyder Pro device.

    Those pastel hues are a nightmare on flat screens, so anyone with less than
    10 errors is completely excused...

    Even on a non-triniton CRT monitor it will be very very hard to see.

    MartinC, Mar 22, 2011
  8. nospam

    Tom Stiller Guest

    In article <>,
    (Floyd L. Davidson) wrote:

    > However... note the story above about the friend's
    > mother! I can't do that. Not even close. Consider how
    > that works with sound too, which we see demonstrations
    > of every day by talented musicians, so I for one have no
    > problem believing that lady did the same thing with
    > color. Not all musicians, but perhaps most, can whistle
    > any given note, on call. If they sing or play multiple
    > instruments, they can often hit a given note within a
    > few Hz at will on all of them. And then they can go
    > down the road to the next music shop, pick up a violin
    > for example, and tune it to within a few Hz of exactly
    > what they played on a piano two days before. That's the
    > same as selecting the colors of cloth.

    Unlike sound, there is always "clutter" in vision experiments outside
    the laboratory. Surrounds, lighting, and other factors distort the
    mind's perception. Consider:
    <http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomstiller/5550052613/>

    --
    Tom Stiller

    PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3 7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF

    Tom Stiller, Mar 22, 2011
  9. nospam

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Paul
    Magnussen <> wrote:

    > >> One friend's mother
    > >> would amaze me with her ability to perceive, and even more uncannily,
    > >> remember colors accurately. She could go into a fabric-store and notice a
    > >> color she wanted, but the price would be too high. Then a week later notice
    > >> the same color in another store made by some other company, and buy it
    > >> because it was at a good price. When taking a swatch back to the first
    > >> store they'd be identical.

    > > bullshit.

    > No, I knew someone like that, too. Her husband used to say she had
    > absolute colour (like absolute pitch).

    people say a lot of things. does she see blue in this? because there
    isn't any. the eye is *easily* fooled, even hers.

    <http://www.psy.ritsumei.ac.jp/~akitaoka/Monspiral4.jpg>

    nospam, Mar 22, 2011
  10. nospam

    Tom Stiller Guest

    In article <>,
    (Floyd L. Davidson) wrote:

    > Tom Stiller <> wrote:
    > >In article <>,
    > > (Floyd L. Davidson) wrote:
    > >
    > >> However... note the story above about the friend's
    > >> mother! I can't do that. Not even close. Consider how
    > >> that works with sound too, which we see demonstrations
    > >> of every day by talented musicians, so I for one have no
    > >> problem believing that lady did the same thing with
    > >> color. Not all musicians, but perhaps most, can whistle
    > >> any given note, on call. If they sing or play multiple
    > >> instruments, they can often hit a given note within a
    > >> few Hz at will on all of them. And then they can go
    > >> down the road to the next music shop, pick up a violin
    > >> for example, and tune it to within a few Hz of exactly
    > >> what they played on a piano two days before. That's the
    > >> same as selecting the colors of cloth.

    > >Unlike sound, there is always "clutter" in vision experiments outside
    > >the laboratory. Surrounds, lighting, and other factors distort the
    > >mind's perception. Consider:
    > ><http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomstiller/5550052613/>

    > I'm not sure I see how sound is any different.

    Since the issue is subjective, I can't offer an argument.

    Tom Stiller, Mar 22, 2011
  11. nospam

    MartinC Guest

    Eric Stevens wrote:

    > My last Trinitron monitor died several years ago. You are very lucky
    > that yours is still going.
    >
    > My experience (Nanao/Eiso, Hitachi) is that while Trinitrons still
    > look good even when several years old, they do in fact lose their
    > initial sharpness. You will get a shock when you replace it with a new
    > monitor.

    I know, that's why I only use it for photo-processing... ;-)

    MartinC, Mar 22, 2011
  12. In rec.photo.digital Paul Magnussen <> wrote:
    > nospam wrote:

    >>> One friend's mother
    >>> would amaze me with her ability to perceive, and even more uncannily,
    >>> remember colors accurately. She could go into a fabric-store and notice a
    >>> color she wanted, but the price would be too high. Then a week later notice
    >>> the same color in another store made by some other company, and buy it
    >>> because it was at a good price. When taking a swatch back to the first
    >>> store they'd be identical.

    >> bullshit.

    > No, I knew someone like that, too. Her husband used to say she had
    > absolute colour (like absolute pitch).

    A small proportion of women have better colour discrimination than the
    rest of us because they have four colour vision rather than the three
    the rest of us have to put up with.

    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06256/721190-114.stm

    --
    Chris Malcolm