Re: TV converter box

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Aardvark, Dec 13, 2008.

  1. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 14:25:42 -0500, WeReo_ScoTTy wrote:

    > imparticular

    No such word although, surprisingly, there are over 33,000 web pages
    containing it.

    What did you mean to say?

    --
    Liverpool. European City Of Culture 2008
    http://www.liverpool08.com

    Aardvark, Dec 13, 2008

  2. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 18:52:24 -0500, WeReo_ScoTTy wrote:

    > Imparticular, inparticular.

    Now we have TWO words that don't exist and I still don't know what you
    meant.

    Aardvark, Dec 14, 2008

  3. HEMI-Powered wrote:

    > wetpixel added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...
    >
    >> Uh-huh. But neither of those are words, and trying to use it shows you
    >> don't even know or understand the words you are trying to use.
    >>
    >> "In particular" is a two-word phrase telling the audience you want to
    >> specify something "in" a specific (particular) case. That is, you are
    >> going to cite one thing particularly.
    >>
    >> It's not as bad as the many fools trying to use 'should of' or 'must of'
    >> or any of the other contractions for 'have,' but it's not helping you.

    > Why bother with even attempting to use good English, after all, it only
    > shows the sign of an educated, intelligent person.

    And we can't have *that* in today's dumbed-down culture.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Dec 14, 2008
  4. HEMI-Powered wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark added these comments in the current discussion du jour
    >
    >>> Why bother with even attempting to use good English, after all, it only
    >>> shows the sign of an educated, intelligent person.

    >> And we can't have *that* in today's dumbed-down culture.
    >>

    > Nope. We maybe CAN but shouldn't. Education is the only thing between
    > those of culture and those who are ignorant and dismissing it or sweeping
    > it under a rug of modern day "PC" crap only serves to encourage bad
    > behavior. At one time, good speech and good writing were things to be
    > prized and proud of. Today, it is something to be made fun of.

    Should I have used <sarcasm> tags? I can't tell if you're disputing my
    statement or supporting it.

    Blinky the Shark, Dec 16, 2008
  5. HEMI-Powered wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark added these comments in the current discussion du jour
    >
    >>> Blinky the Shark added these comments in the current discussion du jour

    >>> Nope. We maybe CAN but shouldn't. Education is the only thing between
    >>> those of culture and those who are ignorant and dismissing it or
    >>> sweeping it under a rug of modern day "PC" crap only serves to
    >>> encourage bad behavior. At one time, good speech and good writing were
    >>> things to be prized and proud of. Today, it is something to be made fun
    >>> of.

    >> Should I have used <sarcasm> tags? I can't tell if you're disputing my
    >> statement or supporting it.
    >>

    > I can't answer you reliably, Blinky, because I can't tell if YOUR reply to
    > me was joking, sarcastic, pejorative, or what. i.e., I don't know YOUR

    It was sarcastic. That's why *I just asked* if I should've used the
    appropriate "sarcasm tags" to indicate that.

    Blinky the Shark, Dec 17, 2008
  6. Blinky the Shark, Dec 17, 2008