Re: TV converter box

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by richard, Dec 13, 2008.

  1. richard

    richard Guest

    On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 14:25:42 -0500, "WeReo_ScoTTy"
    <> wrote:

    >These fucking things are a headache. I've bought two so far, well one is a
    >headache imparticular, the ACCESS HD 1080u.
    >
    >Does anyone know if these converter boxes work with regular rabbit ears
    >televisions? I think I have the last rabbit ears black and white television
    >in New York. Many thanks.
    >
    >I hooked it up successfully, but it only sends it's messages to the
    >television but when it's time to rock'n roll it keeps saying "No signal!"

    Unless your local broadcast stations are already airing Hidef, then
    no, you won't get a signal.
    After the turn on date, you will.

    That's kind of like buying a cable tv box and not having cable to
    begin with.

    Or trying to connect to the internet via wifi in the middle of the
    mojave desert.

    Oh that's where you are?

    richard, Dec 13, 2008

  2. richard wrote:

    > On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 14:25:42 -0500, "WeReo_ScoTTy" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>These fucking things are a headache. I've bought two so far, well one is
    >>a headache imparticular, the ACCESS HD 1080u.
    >>
    >>Does anyone know if these converter boxes work with regular rabbit ears
    >>televisions? I think I have the last rabbit ears black and white
    >>television in New York. Many thanks.
    >>
    >>I hooked it up successfully, but it only sends it's messages to the
    >>television but when it's time to rock'n roll it keeps saying "No signal!"
    >>

    > Unless your local broadcast stations are already airing Hidef, then no,
    > you won't get a signal.

    They probably are already. They are here. Of course, I live in Los
    Angeles, not East Bumfuk, so I don't know what's happening out in the
    sticks.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Dec 13, 2008

  3. richard

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2008-12-13, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    > richard wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 14:25:42 -0500, "WeReo_ScoTTy" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>These fucking things are a headache. I've bought two so far, well one is
    >>>a headache imparticular, the ACCESS HD 1080u.
    >>>
    >>>Does anyone know if these converter boxes work with regular rabbit ears
    >>>televisions? I think I have the last rabbit ears black and white
    >>>television in New York. Many thanks.
    >>>
    >>>I hooked it up successfully, but it only sends it's messages to the
    >>>television but when it's time to rock'n roll it keeps saying "No signal!"
    >>>

    >> Unless your local broadcast stations are already airing Hidef, then no,
    >> you won't get a signal.

    > They probably are already. They are here. Of course, I live in Los
    > Angeles, not East Bumfuk, so I don't know what's happening out in the
    > sticks.

    We've had terrestrial DVB for years over on this side of the pond. It
    needs a good roof aerial, unless the signal is unusually strong. One might
    get away with an indoor 'digital' aerial with a 'signal booster', but the
    old-fashioned V-sticks are unlikely to work well, if at all. "High
    Definition" is still a bit scarce here - but our 'standard' has been
    higher definition than the US standard, since ... forever!

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Dec 13, 2008
  4. richard

    G. Morgan Guest

    WeReo_ScoTTy wrote:

    > I trust Richard.

    Birds of a feather....

    Hey, you guys can ask Chucktard to join your little clan and then you can have
    a circle-jerk. Who's gonna be the "pivot-man"?

    --
    I can't stand cheap people. It makes me real mad when someone says something like,
    "Hey, when are you going to pay me that $100 you owe me?"

    G. Morgan, Dec 13, 2008
  5. Whiskers wrote:

    > On 2008-12-13, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    >> richard wrote:

    >>> Unless your local broadcast stations are already airing Hidef, then no,
    >>> you won't get a signal.

    >> They probably are already. They are here. Of course, I live in Los
    >> Angeles, not East Bumfuk, so I don't know what's happening out in the
    >> sticks.

    > We've had terrestrial DVB for years over on this side of the pond. It
    > needs a good roof aerial, unless the signal is unusually strong. One
    > might get away with an indoor 'digital' aerial with a 'signal booster',
    > but the old-fashioned V-sticks are unlikely to work well, if at all.
    > "High Definition" is still a bit scarce here - but our 'standard' has been
    > higher definition than the US standard, since ... forever!

    I get all but a couple (I can get one or the other of those, depending on
    how I set up my "v stick") of the channels I got with analog. I live in a
    big valley, and on top of one of the mountains overlooking it are most of
    the city's TV transmission towers. And they look like cable. Yay. $70
    ADC, that the government paid $40 toward (free forty dollar off coupons
    from Uncle Sam for buying converters).

    Blinky the Shark, Dec 14, 2008
  6. WeReo_ScoTTy wrote:

    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    >> richard wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 14:25:42 -0500, "WeReo_ScoTTy"
    >>> <>

    >>> Unless your local broadcast stations are already airing Hidef, then no,
    >>> you won't get a signal.

    >> They probably are already. They are here. Of course, I live in Los
    >> Angeles, not East Bumfuk, so I don't know what's happening out in the
    >> sticks.

    > If they are already how come the TV didn't work?

    I don't know what you fucked up.

    Blinky the Shark, Dec 14, 2008
  7. G. Morgan <>
    wrote<>:

    >WeReo_ScoTTy wrote:
    >
    >> I trust Richard.

    >Birds of a feather....
    >
    >Hey, you guys can ask Chucktard to join your little clan and then you

    can have
    >a circle-jerk. Who's gonna be the "pivot-man"?

    that would be me...

    :)

    §ñühw¤£f, Dec 14, 2008
  8. richard

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 23:52:41 +0000 (UTC), G. Morgan <>
    wrote:

    >Birds of a feather....
    >
    >Hey, you guys can ask Chucktard to join your little clan and then you can have
    >a circle-jerk. Who's gonna be the "pivot-man"?

    Wow... chucktard, scotty and Richard... err richard.

    It'll look like one of the two things:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPiaN1hYidU

    or

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtTWsn2db88

    One of the two.

    Or a combination of both.

    Evan Platt, Dec 14, 2008
  9. richard

    G. Morgan Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:

    >It'll look like one of the two things:
    >
    >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPiaN1hYidU
    >
    >or
    >
    >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtTWsn2db88
    >
    >One of the two.
    >
    >Or a combination of both.

    Eww...
    That is really disturbing!

    For the uninitiated:
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=circlejerk

    G. Morgan, Dec 14, 2008
  10. richard

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2008-12-14, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    > Whiskers wrote:

    >>> They probably are already. They are here. Of course, I live in Los
    >>> Angeles, not East Bumfuk, so I don't know what's happening out in the
    >>> sticks.

    >> We've had terrestrial DVB for years over on this side of the pond. It
    >> needs a good roof aerial, unless the signal is unusually strong. One
    >> might get away with an indoor 'digital' aerial with a 'signal booster',
    >> but the old-fashioned V-sticks are unlikely to work well, if at all.
    >> "High Definition" is still a bit scarce here - but our 'standard' has been
    >> higher definition than the US standard, since ... forever!

    > I get all but a couple (I can get one or the other of those, depending on
    > how I set up my "v stick") of the channels I got with analog. I live in a
    > big valley, and on top of one of the mountains overlooking it are most of
    > the city's TV transmission towers. And they look like cable. Yay. $70
    > ADC, that the government paid $40 toward (free forty dollar off coupons
    > from Uncle Sam for buying converters).

    The Unique Selling Point of terrestrial DVB over here, is the greater
    number of channels available compared with the analogue system - currently
    about 30 digital channels compared with no more than 5 analogue, and all
    the analogue stations are duplicated on the digital system. When all the
    analogue transmitters finally shut down there will be bandwidth for a
    great many more digital channels - and the digital transmitters can be
    increased in power, which will help some of the marginal reception
    problems. (Of course, whether you have 5 or 30 or 100 channels there still
    only a few shows really worth watching).

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Dec 14, 2008
  11. richard

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    WeReo_ScoTTy wrote:
    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>WeReo_ScoTTy wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message

    >>>If they are already how come the TV didn't work?

    >>I don't know what you fucked up.

    > Nothing, I guess.
    >
    > You know what else with this fucking thing? I think it heats up and make the
    > ROOM smell real bad.

    Try the other door in your room. In there you will find a device called
    a bath.

    Desk Rabbit, Dec 14, 2008
  12. wetpixel wrote:

    > In article <>, Blinky
    > the Shark <> wrote:
    >
    >> I live in a
    >> big valley, and on top of one of the mountains overlooking it are most
    >> of the city's TV transmission towers. And they look like cable. Yay.

    > What?

    Their signals, on my set, are cable quality even though off-air. I was
    addressing the fact that you either get a good sig or no sig. Of course,
    that context was lost with your snip.

    Blinky the Shark, Dec 14, 2008
  13. richard

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2008-12-15, WeReo_ScoTTy <> wrote:
    > "Whiskers" <> wrote in message

    [...]

    >> The Unique Selling Point of terrestrial DVB over here, is the greater
    >> number of channels available compared with the analogue system - currently
    >> about 30 digital channels compared with no more than 5 analogue, and all
    >> the analogue stations are duplicated on the digital system. When all the
    >> analogue transmitters finally shut down there will be bandwidth for a
    >> great many more digital channels - and the digital transmitters can be
    >> increased in power, which will help some of the marginal reception
    >> problems. (Of course, whether you have 5 or 30 or 100 channels there
    >> still
    >> only a few shows really worth watching).

    > I do "the most unique TV of all time" according to Broadway Danny Rose (on
    > tape). Do you think that's worth watching?

    Uniqueness in any quantity is irrelevant to interest.

    --
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Dec 15, 2008