Re: TV and computer hookup?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by JD, Oct 12, 2008.

  1. JD

    JD Guest

    Ritter197 wrote:
    > have a fried who is almost totally blind legally and we bought for him a
    > 32 " Sharp #LC32D41U TV as a monitor with his 4200+ HP desktop running on
    > Windows XP Professional with SP's installed.
    >
    > For some reason it gives him no image of Windows when turned on suddenly,
    > after it worked fine for months.
    >
    > Does someone have a similar hookup and might be of help?
    >
    > The computer works fine, because I brought my normal monitor and windows
    > displays fine.
    >
    > Also, on his Sharp he can access the various menus and they display
    > fine, just not the windows destop or anything pertaining to windows.

    This is quite easy to fix, the problem is that the resolution of the TV
    is lower than that of the Monitor you are using, I assume you are using
    a SVGA or HDMI to connect to the tv, set the screen resolution to
    1024x768 or 1366x768 (if your GFX card can do that resolution)

    JD

    JD, Oct 12, 2008

  2. JD

    George Guest

    "JD" <> wrote in message
    > Ritter197 wrote:
    >> have a fried who is almost totally blind legally and we bought for him a
    >> 32 " Sharp #LC32D41U TV as a monitor with his 4200+ HP desktop running on
    >> Windows XP Professional with SP's installed.
    >>
    >> For some reason it gives him no image of Windows when turned on suddenly,
    >> after it worked fine for months.
    >>
    >> Does someone have a similar hookup and might be of help?
    >>
    >> The computer works fine, because I brought my normal monitor and windows
    >> displays fine.
    >>
    >> Also, on his Sharp he can access the various menus and they display fine,
    >> just not the windows destop or anything pertaining to windows.
    >>

    > This is quite easy to fix, the problem is that the resolution of the TV is
    > lower than that of the Monitor you are using, I assume you are using a
    > SVGA or HDMI to connect to the tv, set the screen resolution to 1024x768
    > or 1366x768 (if your GFX card can do that resolution)
    >
    > JD

    Bugger all to do with the resolution,if the resolution was wrong he'd still
    get a picture but might be rolling up or down the screen or even shifted to
    left or right.

    George, Oct 12, 2008

  3. JD

    JD Guest

    George wrote:
    > "JD" <> wrote in message
    >> Ritter197 wrote:
    >>> have a fried who is almost totally blind legally and we bought for him a
    >>> 32 " Sharp #LC32D41U TV as a monitor with his 4200+ HP desktop running on
    >>> Windows XP Professional with SP's installed.
    >>>
    >>> For some reason it gives him no image of Windows when turned on suddenly,
    >>> after it worked fine for months.
    >>>
    >>> Does someone have a similar hookup and might be of help?
    >>>
    >>> The computer works fine, because I brought my normal monitor and windows
    >>> displays fine.
    >>>
    >>> Also, on his Sharp he can access the various menus and they display fine,
    >>> just not the windows destop or anything pertaining to windows.
    >>>

    >> This is quite easy to fix, the problem is that the resolution of the TV is
    >> lower than that of the Monitor you are using, I assume you are using a
    >> SVGA or HDMI to connect to the tv, set the screen resolution to 1024x768
    >> or 1366x768 (if your GFX card can do that resolution)
    >>
    >> JD

    > Bugger all to do with the resolution,if the resolution was wrong he'd still
    > get a picture but might be rolling up or down the screen or even shifted to
    > left or right.

    Incorrect, if the resolution is wrong you get NO picture or a screen
    telling you that screen is wrong size.

    JD, Oct 12, 2008
  4. JD

    JD Guest

    Ritter197 wrote:
    > One more question re resolution:
    >
    > How do I know whether it is set to HDMI or SVGA?
    >
    > I could go into the Control panel with the Samsung monitor I left him
    > for now. Can I make the changes for him there which then will work for
    > the Sharp TV? What specifically would I have to reset other than the
    > resolution?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for advice.

    first thing is first how are you connecting to the TV ?

    is it the same cable as the monitor (SVGA/DVI) or are you using a TV out
    to the TV (S-Video)

    if it is the SVGA/DVI then plug in the monitor you were using and set
    the resolution to 1024x768 (preferably 1366x768 if supported)then
    disconnect the monitor and plug in the TV

    if its S-VIDEO connector (TV out) then you may have to enable the tv out
    on the GFX card (GFX card prefs on the advanced tab of where you change
    the screen resolutions) you may also have to set the type of TV
    (PAL/NTSC) and the refresh rate (50/60Mhz) if you are using S-Video and
    the TV has a DVI/SVGA connector (same connector as your monitor) use
    this instead, you can also buy DVI to HDMI adaptors some GFX cards come
    with them already.

    if none of that works you may have a faulty cable or TV.

    JD

    JD, Oct 12, 2008
  5. JD

    George Guest

    "JD" <> wrote in message
    > George wrote:
    >> "JD" <> wrote in message

    >>> This is quite easy to fix, the problem is that the resolution of the TV
    >>> is lower than that of the Monitor you are using, I assume you are using
    >>> a SVGA or HDMI to connect to the tv, set the screen resolution to
    >>> 1024x768 or 1366x768 (if your GFX card can do that resolution)
    >>>
    >>> JD

    >> Bugger all to do with the resolution,if the resolution was wrong he'd
    >> still get a picture but might be rolling up or down the screen or even
    >> shifted to left or right.

    > Incorrect, if the resolution is wrong you get NO picture or a screen
    > telling you that screen is wrong size.

    Stop diggin,the fact he's observing white noise,snow on the screen says its
    mode is in RF mode.

    George, Oct 13, 2008
  6. JD

    JD Guest

    George wrote:

    > Stop diggin,the fact he's observing white noise,snow on the screen says its
    > mode is in RF mode.

    So what you are saying is the OP has the wrong channel on the TV ?

    JD, Oct 13, 2008
  7. JD

    George Guest

    "Ritter197" <> wrote in message
    >I visited today my friend again in another city. I got all working fine on
    >MY monitor, but did not succeed on his 32 inch Sharp. I selected channel 5
    >and digital. That is where he said it was previously. No more snow there,
    >but also no image of windows from his desktop. Which works fine on my
    >monitor which I took along.
    >
    > I am clueless at this point and since he is almost totally blind, he
    > cannot see anything on my 17 inch monitor. I feel awful, that I cannot get
    > the large Sharp set up so he can (even then only with a 2 power magnifying
    > lass only 1 -2 inches away from the Sharp. But at least he can then slowly
    > read emails, but now nothing.
    >
    > Still appreciate all input from you.
    >

    > I hope the newsgroups stay open for a few more days with Comcast, so I can
    > see your responses.

    Ok did you look through the TVs set up menu?

    I'm going by my own TV on this but its just to show what I mean.

    When I enter the menu it gives me a routine to select fro four different
    inputs,since my freeview box is hooked up via the scart socket I select
    scart rather than RF which would be the aerial socket if the aerial was just
    plugged into the TV,but as the aerial is plugged into the freeview box I
    don't need to select RF.
    If I wanted to plug my PC into the TV I would select Component in the set
    up.

    What I suggest you do is make sure the PC video output going to the TV is
    fully plugged in properly? if need be unplug it and plug it back in.
    Go into the TV menu set up and select each one of these parameters below
    till you see the desktop,if you cannot see the PC desktop with any of the
    settings then you're looing at a fault with cable fro PC toTV or your friend
    has altered something in windows?

    Go through these settings one by one in the TV menu, TVmanual will show its
    got.
    A/V (Composite),
    Component Video,
    DVI,
    HDMI,
    S-Video

    Does your friend have a wheel on his mouse? if so he can enlarge text by
    holding down the "Crtl" key and toggle the mouse wheel to enlarge the text
    on emails or whilst browsing the internet.

    George, Oct 14, 2008
  8. JD

    George Guest

    "Ritter197" <> wrote in message
    >I visited today my friend again in another city. I got all working fine on
    >MY monitor, but did not succeed on his 32 inch Sharp. I selected channel 5
    >and digital. That is where he said it was previously. No more snow there,
    >but also no image of windows from his desktop. Which works fine on my
    >monitor which I took along.
    >
    > I am clueless at this point and since he is almost totally blind, he
    > cannot see anything on my 17 inch monitor. I feel awful, that I cannot get
    > the large Sharp set up so he can (even then only with a 2 power magnifying
    > lass only 1 -2 inches away from the Sharp. But at least he can then slowly
    > read emails, but now nothing.
    >
    > Still appreciate all input from you.
    >

    > I hope the newsgroups stay open for a few more days with Comcast, so I can
    > see your responses.

    I just had a look at the manual from Sharp on this TV and on the remote
    control you should have a button marked "INPUT" select this and see if you
    can locate the PC desktop with this button.

    George, Oct 14, 2008