Re: Tutorial how to use Irfanview 4.25 to rotate, shrink, & renamebatch photos

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Paul Furman, Apr 4, 2010.

  1. Paul Furman

    Paul Furman Guest

    Elmo wrote:
    > To rename based on date & GPS, shrink file size, and set DPI & pixels:
    > * With desired photos still selected in the Irfanview Thumbnail viewer ...
    > * b ... aka Thumbnail:File->Start Batch Dialog with Selected Files
    > * Batch conversion:press the "Create New Folder" button at top right
    > * Batch conversion:Name the new folder something like "small pics"
    > * Batch conversion:Doubleclick on the newly created "small pics"
    > * Batch conversion:press the "Use current look-in directory" button
    > * Batch conversion:press the "Start Batch" button
    > * When done, exit out of the batch dialog and then out of Irfanview
    > Voila!

    I didn't see any instructions on renaming from exif. OK, I just found
    that below.

    > All digital photographs in that folder will be rotated properly; they will
    > be renamed based upon EXIF date & GPS data; and they will be shrunk to
    > 100KB and 640x480 pixel size and 72dpi resolution; and all EXIF/IPTC and
    > thumbnail data will be removed from the emailable copy of the photograph.
    >
    > Notes:
    > * Those are my settings, previously saved by Irfanview; your desired
    > settings may vary.
    > * Irfanview 4.25 saves the last 15 rename patterns; so you can have a
    > variety of desired patterns.
    > * Obviously EXIF information such as GPS coordinates & orientation must be
    > saved by your camera; press the E button in Irfanview to view your EXIF
    > data.
    > * Recommended batch saved settings are the following:
    > - Set "Batch conversion - Rename result files"
    > - Set "JPEG/GIF save options" to "Set file size = 100KB (RIOT Plugin)"

    I'm not sure this makes sense for most cases, jpeg file size will vary
    depending how much detail.

    > - Set "Batch Conversion" options to "RESIZE"; "Set long side = 640 pixels";
    > "Set DPI value = 72"; and "Preservec aspect ratio".
    > - Set "Batch rename settings" to "$N-$E36868(%Y%m%d_%H-%M-%S)$E402-$E404";
    > this appends the date and GPS coordinates to the original file name.

    Ah, OK, I set up something like that in full screen mode to show fl,
    shutter, aperture...

    > Further improvements are always welcome!

    I almost never use thumbnail view. Just hit 'B' for batch, and save
    settings for various needs. I'm finding irfanview less handy with 12MP
    files though I've used it for years and always loved the speed. Also, I
    use lightroom these days for most batch work but it's quite a lot slower.

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Apr 4, 2010

  2. Paul Furman

    Tim Guest

    Elmo wrote:
    > On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 12:27:26 -0700, Paul Furman wrote:
    >
    >>> - Set "JPEG/GIF save options" to "Set file size = 100KB (RIOT
    >>> Plugin)"

    >> I'm not sure this makes sense for most cases, jpeg file size will
    >> vary depending how much detail.

    > Actually, that's the beauty of this setting.
    >
    > No matter what the JPEG size is, it will set it to 100KB (or whatever
    > you choose). It's magic.

    Which is exactly why it makes no sense at all. An image that is sharp and
    contains a lot of fine detail will be over-compressed and could potentially
    be ruined by forcing a file size on it.

    --
    Tim
    Tim, Apr 6, 2010

  3. Paul Furman

    Paul Furman Guest

    Elmo wrote:
    > On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 10:49:22 +1000, Tim wrote:
    >
    >> Which is exactly why it makes no sense at all. An image that is sharp and
    >> contains a lot of fine detail will be over-compressed and could potentially
    >> be ruined by forcing a file size on it.

    > I understand your point but I don't understand the mathematics. Apparently
    > this Irfanview feature uses something called a "RIOT Plugin".
    >
    > Googling, I find RIOT stands for the "Radical Image Optimization Tool".
    > http://criosweb.ro/software/RIOT.dll
    >
    > It looks like GIMP also utilizes the RIOT (http://luci.criosweb.ro/riot)
    > Radical Image Optimiation Tool (http://registry.gimp.org/node/20778).
    >
    > I wish there were a Wikeipedia on this RIOT Radical Image Optimization
    > Tool; but none yet.
    >
    > So, I guess, the real question, is how well does the RIOT Radical Image
    > Optimization Tool work in Irfanview batch mode. (works well enough for me)

    If the target size was larger, this could prevent blocky artifacts in
    smoothly graded soft areas of the images that would have been reduced by
    default compression, but could degrade highly detailed images that would
    normally produce larger file sizes.

    The way to understand jpeg compression is try saving some files of
    varying detail with extremely low quality setting and zoom in on the
    results. You will see how it works by simplifying similar areas into
    rectangular blocks.

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Apr 6, 2010
  4. Re: Tutorial how to use Irfanview 4.25 to rotate, shrink, & rename batch photos

    In rec.photo.digital Elmo <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 10:49:22 +1000, Tim wrote:

    >> Which is exactly why it makes no sense at all. An image that is sharp and
    >> contains a lot of fine detail will be over-compressed and could potentially
    >> be ruined by forcing a file size on it.

    > I understand your point but I don't understand the mathematics. Apparently
    > this Irfanview feature uses something called a "RIOT Plugin".

    > Googling, I find RIOT stands for the "Radical Image Optimization Tool".
    > http://criosweb.ro/software/RIOT.dll

    > It looks like GIMP also utilizes the RIOT (http://luci.criosweb.ro/riot)
    > Radical Image Optimiation Tool (http://registry.gimp.org/node/20778).

    > I wish there were a Wikeipedia on this RIOT Radical Image Optimization
    > Tool; but none yet.

    > So, I guess, the real question, is how well does the RIOT Radical Image
    > Optimization Tool work in Irfanview batch mode. (works well enough for me)

    There are plenty of features that work well that generally speaking
    are silly things to do.

    --
    Chris Malcolm
    Chris Malcolm, Apr 6, 2010
  5. Paul Furman

    Poutnik Guest

    Re: Tutorial how to use Irfanview 4.25 to rotate, shrink, & rename batch photos

    In article <hpgeu6$57q$>, dcdraftworks@Use-Author-Supplied-
    Address.invalid says...

    > One huge advantage of the shrink to 100KB is that just stepping through the
    > photos in Irfanview is faster (than stepping through the 4MB originals).

    I prefer using target resolution or one side size,
    with given JPG quality.

    --
    Poutnik
    The best depends on how the best is defined.
    Poutnik, Apr 7, 2010
  6. Re: Tutorial how to use Irfanview 4.25 to rotate, shrink, & rename batch photos

    In rec.photo.digital Elmo <> wrote:
    > On 6 Apr 2010 22:31:43 GMT, Chris Malcolm wrote:

    >> There are plenty of features that work well that generally speaking
    >> are silly things to do.

    > I wonder if there is a better way (than Irfanview thumbnail batch mode) to
    > rotate, shrink, tag, and rename thousands of photos suitable for emailing
    > select results to friends and family?

    > One huge advantage of the shrink to 100KB is that just stepping through the
    > photos in Irfanview is faster (than stepping through the 4MB originals).

    I'm not suggesting that shrinking file size is silly. I'm suggesting
    that shrinking to a fixed file size by means of RIOT is silly. If that
    degree of compression is good enough for highly detailed photographs
    then many of your photographs could be reduced to half that size
    without loss of quality, with consequent benefits of speed, space,
    etc..

    > All in all, shrinking photos to 100KB (you pick the desired size or let
    > Irfanview pick it for you) for use by email to friends and family works for
    > me.

    Wouldn't shrinking more than half of them to less than half that size
    work even better? Because you could do without lowering the quality
    any more than is already happening to your most detailed photographs.

    > But if someone has a BETTER freeware program, I'm all ears! Let us know
    > what works better than Irfanview to perform the following tasks:

    I think Irfanview is great, use it a lot, and always for downsizing
    and jpeg compression because it's particularly good at that. It's
    your use of the RIOT method of compression I'm questioning.

    --
    Chris Malcolm
    Chris Malcolm, Apr 7, 2010