Re: Turn off wireless if NIC is active

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Pavel A., Oct 8, 2009.

  1. Pavel A.

    Pavel A. Guest

    "Jordan" <> wrote in message
    > I am having a problem with people leaving their wireless adapters on while
    > on the network. First, I have about 120 computers and now many of them
    > are using 2x the IPs which is putting me up against having to go through
    > the hassle of subnetting.

    AFAIK no standard MS policy does this.
    But 3rd party utilities that have notion of "profiles" ,
    like the Lenovo Connection manager, can do this.
    If you are rateher inclined to write your own, try
    microsoft.public.win32.programmer.networks newsgroup for advices.

    > Second, when users are in their office and they are at the fringe of a WAP
    > and barely making a connection, they cause the WAP nearest them to slow
    > down.
    >
    > Is there a way I with Group Policies or some script I can put in the
    > startup that will detect if both the wireless and NIC are on the same
    > subnet, then shut down the wireless adapter?

    Again, the MS policies are unlikely to do this.
    "Professional" wireless management servers/utilities (such as Cisco) can
    define custom rules.

    Good luck,
    --pa
    Pavel A., Oct 8, 2009