Re: Turn computer off? Or leave on?

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Pat, May 26, 2005.

  1. Pat

    Pat Guest

    smackedass wrote:
    > Hello again,
    >
    > What do you recommend? And/or, what do you do? And, why?
    >
    > My customers keep asking me this, and I'm ashamed to say, I don't have any
    > solid answers.
    >
    > My stock reply: it doesn't make much of a difference, although I wouldn't
    > leave it on ALL the time, or turn it off every time that I was done using
    > it.

    There's really no right answer to this. Personally, I almost always
    have mine on and usually only reboot when I'm going to be gone for an
    extended period of time or if Windows has become unstable. On one hand,
    frequently turning on and off the system will add wear and tear on the
    power supply and possibly other components. Of course, leaving it on
    could do the same thing.

    I leave it to a matter of preference...if you use the computer a lot and
    Windows takes a while to boot up, then I'd probably leave it on most of
    the time. If you only use the machince once a day or something, then
    power it down.

    There's an older Pentium4 system in our house that is *always* on
    because the main printer is attached to it. Yes, it's just a simple
    Workgroup but it might as well be a dedicated server. :)

    Pat, May 26, 2005