Re: Turn computer off? Or leave on?

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Captain Lon, May 25, 2005.

  1. Captain Lon

    Captain Lon Guest

    "smackedass" <> wrote in message
    > Hello again,
    >
    > What do you recommend? And/or, what do you do? And, why?
    >
    > My customers keep asking me this, and I'm ashamed to say, I don't have any
    > solid answers.
    >
    > My stock reply: it doesn't make much of a difference, although I wouldn't
    > leave it on ALL the time, or turn it off every time that I was done using
    > it.
    >
    > Thanks, again, in advance.
    >
    > smackedass

    This is a good question, and one that I have researched on the web, too.
    The answers I found were as follows:

    Windows 98 has a 'bug' that was never fixed, and if allowed to be on all the
    time it will run out of RAM and performance will slow down. It should be
    restarted on occasion, perhaps once a week.

    Windows XP was designed differently, and the bug was fixed, so it will have
    no ill effect to leave it on all the time.

    However they may be other reasons for turning the computer off.

    As far as light bulbs go, they tend to burn out on powering up due to 'cold
    shock'. The sending of hot electricity through a cold filament. I don't
    know what bearing this has on computers as light bulbs can be built not to
    burn out, but they are not built that way for two reasons: so you need to
    replace them once in a while keeping the bulb manufacturers in business, and
    to keep their cost down, as building a bulb that does not burn out would be
    very expensive.

    --
    Captain Lon

    All your base are belong to us.

    Captain Lon, May 25, 2005

  2. Captain Lon

    AG Guest

    As far as I can see it is a contest between whether you want to pay for the
    electricity to run the equipment or pay to replace your equipment more
    often.
    From the research that I've done there is some thermal shock to the
    processor and motherboard every time you shut down and restart and also to
    the hard drives.
    I've run Linux servers at my last job that only got turned off when the
    power went off too long for the UPS it was attached to. I seldom had
    hardware problems, especially memory or processor problems. Most of the
    problems we did have were with power supplies, usually fans going out. BTW
    the servers were standard PCs just running Linux with a bunch of RAM.
    So do you want to replace equipment or pay for power to run a PC all the
    time.
    It really depends on how much power costs in your area as to which makes
    more sense to you.

    AG

    AG, May 25, 2005

  3. Captain Lon

    JJ Guest

    "Captain Lon" <> wrote in message

    > As far as light bulbs go, they tend to burn out on powering up due to

    'cold
    > shock'. The sending of hot electricity through a cold filament.

    Hot electricity? Never knew electricity had a temperature.

    However, a very rapid change in temperature occurs in the filament when a
    light bulb is first energized, leading to rapid expansion. This, when
    repeated over and over, leads to bad things happening to the tungsten.

    I was taught that for a vacuum tube, it would run for the most hours when
    turn on and *left on* until it burned out. I would suspect that the same is
    true about light bulbs unless there is a heat buildup problem with a
    specific fixture.

    > I don't
    > know what bearing this has on computers as light bulbs can be built not to
    > burn out, but they are not built that way for two reasons: so you need to
    > replace them once in a while keeping the bulb manufacturers in business,

    and
    > to keep their cost down, as building a bulb that does not burn out would

    be
    > very expensive.

    There must be something to this. Think of a TV picture tube. They last and
    last until the phosphor gives out. A burned out filament would be a real
    bummer.

    If that's not enough, think about a $60,000 X-Ray tube in a CAT Scanner.
    They give a lot of service, and failures are generally NOT due to filament
    burnout.

    I leave my computers on all the time mainly because they are on a network
    and it would be a pain to go and turn one on if I needed to access it. The
    monitors go to standby after 15 minutes of inactivity, so they don't make
    good night lights.
    --
    Jim
    "Be right back... Godot"

    JJ, Jun 14, 2005
  4. Captain Lon

    Captain Lon Guest

    JJ wrote: > Hot electricity? Never knew electricity had a temperature.

    What do think causes the 'light' in a light bulb??? Electricity flows
    through wires all the time without glowing, so why do light bulbs glow?? It
    is because of the heat created in the bulb by the narrow filament. This
    should explain 'cold shock' in a bulb. When you turn on a light, a room
    temperature filament is almost instantly heated up by the friction of the
    electrons trying to flow through such a narrow filament, creating much heat,
    in an effort to create light, and therefore this is usually when a bulb
    burns out.

    --
    Captain Lon

    I'm smart! I'm not dumb like they say!

    Captain Lon, Jun 14, 2005
  5. "Captain Lon" <> wrote in message

    > As far as light bulbs go, they tend to burn out on powering up due to
    >'cold shock'. The sending of hot electricity through a cold filament.

    If you were to post this on an electronics/electrical engineering
    newsgroup, you may be surprised at the differences from your idea that
    you would encounter.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Jun 14, 2005