Re: Trying to wirelessly network USB external hard drives

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by ohaya, Aug 22, 2008.

  1. ohaya

    ohaya Guest

    On Aug 19, 3:22 pm, Mac <> wrote:
    > Here's the situation, I have 2 Western Digital external hard drives
    > that I have plugged into my docked laptop, but this means I need to
    > stay docked to access those files. So, I'm looking to make those
    > external drives wireless so I can access the files from anywhere in
    > the house. I am trying to do this on the cheap with existing hardware
    > I own, or the cheapest additional hardware.
    >
    > I have a Linksys wireless router, but it only has ethernet ports, it
    > does not have USB ports. I have a 4-port USB hub. What I'm thinking is
    > that I could plug the hard drives into the 4-port USB, and then
    > connect that hub to the wireless router using a USB to Ethernet
    > connector (which can be had for less than $20). Essentially the
    > connector has a USB end which I would plug into the 4-port hub, and
    > the other end will take an ethernet cable.
    >
    > Will this actually wirelessly network the drives?
    >
    > PLEASE NOTE - I do not want to consider the following options 1)
    > putting the drives in a NAS enclosure (since my drives are already in
    > their own enclosures), 2) spending $100+ on a Belkin wireless USB hub
    > or other similar devices.

    Hi,

    There's this "SMCWAPS-G":

    http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=SMCWAPS-G

    That website is out-of-stock, but maybe you can find it somewhere
    else?

    Jim
    ohaya, Aug 22, 2008