Re: Trying to get a really old computer to connect to the internet.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by thanatoid, Nov 7, 2010.

  1. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    "Brian Christiansen" <> wrote in

    > I am helping a gentleman to connect to the internet by dial
    > up.

    <snip>

    > The computer is an HP pavillion 4533, and the processor is
    > 454 mhz, and it has 64M of memory, and XP runs very slowly,
    > in fact, I am kinda surprised it runs at all. The modem
    > card that is in the computer is a combination modem/sound
    > card.

    95B connects to the internet with 64MB of memory just fine, and
    98lite which Mike Eater suggested (and which I am using ATM,
    even though I have a 2 GHz processor and 1GB of RAM, 70% of
    which sits unused) will work just as well. I used a 166MHz
    Pentium I with 64 (later 96) MB of RAM and a 33.6 modem until 3
    years ago. It was all a normal person needed. I doubt your
    client is interested in high-def youtube-type stuff.

    > In the device manager, there is an item called "simple PCI
    > communications controller", which indicates to me that
    > there is not an XP compatible driver for it, at least not
    > on the computer.

    Is there a red X (or something) next to it? Otherwise, it's
    there and it is working.

    <snip>

    > There was a model number on it, but nothing indicating who
    > the manufacturer was (neither a name nor a code that I
    > could find).

    Enter the EXACT model number and one of the words audio, sound,
    modem (IOW try 3 times). You will probably get a hit.

    >" Index of
    > ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/personal_computing/software/audiomodem
    > combo.exe/ (if the type size is weird it is because I am
    > cutting and pasting)

    So what's the problem? Run it.

    I just DL'd it and scanned it with today's ESET, it's clean - of
    course.

    Here is the list of the files in the exe. One of the names is
    probably similar or same as the model # of the card you are
    trying to ID.

    From the content of some of the INF the files, it would appear
    to be the Conexant Audio/Modem card.

    Directory of: C:\temp\audiomodemcombo\*.*

    11/06/2010 7:22pm Sorted by Long Name

    C:\temp\audiomodemcombo

    AmosNT.sys
    BASIC2.SYS
    CNXHSF.cat
    crtaud.sys
    csacpl.cpl
    D215DT5.inf
    disk1
    Fallback.sys
    FaxNT.sys
    FSKsNT.sys
    hsfinst.dll
    K56NT.sys
    riptide.cat
    riptide.hex
    riptide.inf
    RKSAMPLE.SYS
    rpfun.sys
    rthwcls.sys
    SpkpNT.sys
    TonesNT.sys
    V124NT.sys
    WINACHSF.SYS

    23 files; 3,283,434 bytes

    Total: 23 files; 3,283,434 bytes

    --
    "Anytime I hear the word "culture", I reach for my iPad."
    - 21st Century Humanoid
    thanatoid, Nov 7, 2010