Re: Truth about hi-capacity replacement batteries?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dave Cohen, Nov 20, 2010.

  1. Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen Guest

    On 11/20/2010 10:14 AM, mianileng wrote:
    > Cheap Chinese-made batteries are not easily available in India, so I'm
    > thinking of asking a friend in Germany to buy a couple for my FZ30 from
    > ebay.de and bring them when he comes for a visit next month. Several sellers
    > are offering them for less than 6 Euros each including shipping, but while
    > most of them specify the usual 700-800 mAh capacity, at least one claims
    > 1400 mAh. Has anyone had experience with these replacement batteries,
    > especially those with a high claimed capacity? Do they actually have a
    > noticeably higher capacity? Here's one link:

    Yes, I bought a very cheap spare for my Canon A3100IS (NB-8L)from
    BestBargainCloseouts for $3.72 including shipping. It fitted the camera,
    has higher capacity than original and seems to charge and work fine.

    One small problem, the width was a tad wider which was of no consequence
    in the camera, but I eased it a little for a snug fit in the external
    charger.

    Dave Cohen, Nov 20, 2010

  2. > On 11/20/2010 10:14 AM, mianileng wrote:
    >> Cheap Chinese-made batteries are not easily available in India, so I'm
    >> thinking of asking a friend in Germany to buy a couple for my FZ30 from
    >> ebay.de and bring them when he comes for a visit next month. Several
    >> sellers
    >> are offering them for less than 6 Euros each including shipping, but
    >> while
    >> most of them specify the usual 700-800 mAh capacity, at least one
    >> claims
    >> 1400 mAh. Has anyone had experience with these replacement batteries,
    >> especially those with a high claimed capacity? Do they actually have a
    >> noticeably higher capacity? Here's one link:

    You know the saying: if it sounds to good to be true.....?

    A few percent higher capacity, perhaps. Nearly double? I don't think so.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Nov 20, 2010

  3. Dave Cohen

    mianileng Guest

    David J Taylor wrote:
    >> On 11/20/2010 10:14 AM, mianileng wrote:
    >>> Cheap Chinese-made batteries are not easily available in India, so
    >>> I'm thinking of asking a friend in Germany to buy a couple for my
    >>> FZ30 from ebay.de and bring them when he comes for a visit next
    >>> month. Several sellers
    >>> are offering them for less than 6 Euros each including shipping, but
    >>> while
    >>> most of them specify the usual 700-800 mAh capacity, at least one
    >>> claims
    >>> 1400 mAh. Has anyone had experience with these replacement
    >>> batteries, especially those with a high claimed capacity? Do they
    >>> actually have a noticeably higher capacity? Here's one link:

    > You know the saying: if it sounds to good to be true.....?
    >
    > A few percent higher capacity, perhaps. Nearly double? I don't
    > think so.

    I tend to agree with both statements. I didn't *really* expect double
    capacity, but since they're priced the same, I thought I might as well go
    for the one with the higher stated rating. But then I also tend to be wary
    of people who make inflated claims.
    mianileng, Nov 20, 2010