Re: Truecrypt 4.1

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by nemo_outis, Nov 27, 2005.

  1. nemo_outis

    nemo_outis Guest

    Carsten Krueger <> wrote in

    > Am 26 Nov 2005 19:37:26 GMT schrieb nemo_outis:
    >
    >> You really look gift horses VERY deep in the mouth, don't you?

    > If it's crypto software, you as the author has a very big
    > responsibility. And the simplist thing is to say: we have a problem.
    > Not happend -> bad.
    >
    >>PS I look forward to frequenting the forum to discuss Truecrypt that
    >>YOU, with your higher sense of public responsibility, will undoubtedly
    >>soon put up.

    > If their is a real problem, it's easy to take
    > http://www.ezboard.com/ or something like this.
    >
    > greetings
    > Carsten

    You really are a consummate dunce, aren't you?

    You seem to have a strange sense of entitlement. The authors of a free
    program have exactly ZERO duty or responsibility - least of all to you, a
    whining parasite!

    And, no, the best thing is *not* to say "we have a problem," the best thing
    is to *fix* the problem. And that is exactly what the authors did!
    Quickly too!

    First, you bitched that the forums were down and now, when someone
    sarcastically puts the boots to you, you are dismissive that it is a "real
    problem." Hell, you didn't even realize I was skewering you. What a
    buffoon!

    Regards,

    nemo_outis, Nov 27, 2005

  2. On 27 Nov 2005 16:08:48 GMT, nemo_outis wrote:

    > The authors of a free
    > program have exactly ZERO duty or responsibility

    That's not true. Just b/c the program is free does not mean that the
    authors are devoid of some social responsibility for its operation.
    --
    Drop the alphabet for email

    Ari Silverstein, Nov 28, 2005

  3. nemo_outis

    nemo_outis Guest

    Ari Silverstein <> wrote in

    > On 27 Nov 2005 16:08:48 GMT, nemo_outis wrote:
    >
    >> The authors of a free
    >> program have exactly ZERO duty or responsibility

    > That's not true. Just b/c the program is free does not mean that the
    > authors are devoid of some social responsibility for its operation.

    Social responsibility? Perhaps you could expand a little on your novel
    interpretation of this concept. I'm fascinated to discover what distorted
    rationale folks use to convert their dependency and an author's gratuitous
    generosity into an ongoing obligation on his part.

    Regards,

    nemo_outis, Nov 28, 2005
  4. On 28 Nov 2005 17:03:27 GMT, nemo_outis wrote:

    >>> The authors of a free
    >>> program have exactly ZERO duty or responsibility

    >> That's not true. Just b/c the program is free does not mean that the
    >> authors are devoid of some social responsibility for its operation.

    > Social responsibility? Perhaps you could expand a little on your novel
    > interpretation of this concept. I'm fascinated to discover what distorted
    > rationale folks use to convert their dependency and an author's gratuitous
    > generosity into an ongoing obligation on his part.
    >
    > Regards,

    Ethics, like politics and religion, is not my cup of circular argument. Our
    freeware and licensed products that we distribute come with our sense of
    ethical/social responsibility, yours may be devoid of any such values. So
    be it.
    --
    Drop the alphabet for email

    Ari Silverstein, Nov 29, 2005
  5. nemo_outis

    Winged Guest

    Ari Silverstein wrote:
    > On 27 Nov 2005 16:08:48 GMT, nemo_outis wrote:
    >

    >>The authors of a free
    >>program have exactly ZERO duty or responsibility

    > That's not true. Just b/c the program is free does not mean that the
    > authors are devoid of some social responsibility for its operation.

    Dang, you mean they passed a law somewhere when I wasn't looking that I
    have to be socially responsible....Someones been smoking wayyyy tooooo
    much crack....Wonders where the requirement is that software have any
    social responsibility...thinks of a number of cracking packages on the
    net....then thinks of the spammer disks being circulated with millions
    of e-mail addresses..social responsibility...bah

    Winged

    Winged, Nov 29, 2005
  6. nemo_outis

    nemo_outis Guest

    Ari Silverstein <> wrote in

    >>> That's not true. Just b/c the program is free does not mean that the
    >>> authors are devoid of some social responsibility for its operation.

    >> Social responsibility? Perhaps you could expand a little on your
    >> novel interpretation of this concept. I'm fascinated to discover
    >> what distorted rationale folks use to convert their dependency and an
    >> author's gratuitous generosity into an ongoing obligation on his
    >> part.
    >>
    >> Regards,

    > Ethics, like politics and religion, is not my cup of circular
    > argument.

    If that is so, one wonders why you raised the issue in the first place.

    Our freeware and licensed products that we distribute come
    > with our sense of ethical/social responsibility, yours may be devoid
    > of any such values. So be it.

    My software? This thread is about Truecrypt - and I am not one of its
    authors. You'll have to wait for another opportunity to launch baseless
    personal attacks on me for failing to support my software.

    Regards,

    nemo_outis, Nov 29, 2005
  7. On 29 Nov 2005 15:35:27 GMT, nemo_outis wrote:

    >> Ethics, like politics and religion, is not my cup of circular
    >> argument.

    > If that is so, one wonders why you raised the issue in the first place.

    Is it written that all comments must also carry argumentation? I missed
    that one.

    > Our freeware and licensed products that we distribute come
    >> with our sense of ethical/social responsibility, yours may be devoid
    >> of any such values. So be it.

    > My software? This thread is about Truecrypt - and I am not one of its
    > authors. You'll have to wait for another opportunity to launch baseless
    > personal attacks on me for failing to support my software.
    >
    > Regards,

    If you feel that you are personally attacked over the statements regarding
    my and my company's ethical and social considerations, since I made no
    judgments as to yours, then that is your problem to deal with. I would
    suggest that you might examine why it is you extrapolated, incorrectly,
    that I personally attacked you. Why is your sensitivity levels so skewed
    when discussions of humanitarianism are addressed?

    For your edification, I will quote, again, exactly what I typed above.

    *Our freeware and licensed products that we distribute come with our sense
    of ethical/social responsibility, yours may be devoid of any such values.
    So be it.*

    If you would like to expound on what you consider ethical and socially
    responsible (in terms of this thread and discussion), I would just love to
    hear it.
    --
    Drop the alphabet for email

    Ari Silverstein, Nov 29, 2005
  8. nemo_outis

    nemo_outis Guest

    Ari Silverstein <> wrote in

    > On 29 Nov 2005 15:35:27 GMT, nemo_outis wrote:
    >
    >>> Ethics, like politics and religion, is not my cup of circular
    >>> argument.

    >> If that is so, one wonders why you raised the issue in the first
    >> place.

    > Is it written that all comments must also carry argumentation? I
    > missed that one.

    Nope, you're free to leave it dangling in the wind. I just wanted to
    give you an opportunity to speak to your observation before I dismissed
    it as muddle-headed.

    >> Our freeware and licensed products that we distribute come
    >>> with our sense of ethical/social responsibility, yours may be devoid
    >>> of any such values. So be it.

    >> My software? This thread is about Truecrypt - and I am not one of
    >> its authors. You'll have to wait for another opportunity to launch
    >> baseless personal attacks on me for failing to support my software.
    >>
    >> Regards,

    > If you feel that you are personally attacked over the statements
    > regarding my and my company's ethical and social considerations, since
    > I made no judgments as to yours, then that is your problem to deal
    > with.

    "...***yours** may be devoid of any such values." There your statement
    is, bold as brass, just above. Sure sounds like something directed
    towards me. And I'm calling you on the attempted smear, Ari!

    > If you would like to expound on what you consider ethical and socially
    > responsible (in terms of this thread and discussion), I would just
    > love to hear it.

    Nice try, but no cigar. It was *you* who introduced the asinine concept
    of social responsibility. And it was *you* who has repeatedly ducked
    explaining your remark despite my invitation to do so, including again
    just above. And now you think you can reverse the burden and dump it on
    me to present my views on social responsibility? Bullshit! No, Ari,
    *you* introduced the topic, so it's still up to *you* to speak to it -
    otherwise I summarily dismiss it as unsupported crap.

    Regards,

    nemo_outis, Nov 29, 2005
  9. In article <Xns971C664F6653Fabcxyzcom@127.0.0.1>
    "nemo_outis" <> wrote:

    > Ari Silverstein <> wrote in
    >
    > > On 27 Nov 2005 16:08:48 GMT, nemo_outis wrote:
    > >
    > >> The authors of a free program have exactly ZERO duty or
    > >> responsibility

    > > That's not true. Just b/c the program is free does not mean that the
    > > authors are devoid of some social responsibility for its operation.

    > Social responsibility? Perhaps you could expand a little on your novel
    > interpretation of this concept. I'm fascinated to discover what distorted
    > rationale folks use to convert their dependency and an author's gratuitous
    > generosity into an ongoing obligation on his part.

    on second thought, please don't start ANOTHER Ari Silverstein
    rant! I'm just over the vomiting fit caused by the last one!

    The original sender is unknown. Any address shown in the From header
    is unverified. You need a valid hashcash token to post to groups other
    than alt.test and alt.anonymous.messages. Visit www.panta-rhei.dyndns.org
    for abuse and hashcash info.

    Anonymous via the Cypherpunks Tonga Remailer, Nov 30, 2005