Re: True Image uninstall problems using Vista

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by chuckcar, Aug 3, 2009.

  1. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    "Len" <> wrote in

    > I used Acronis True Image 9 for my old Win2k system. In my new Vista
    > system I therefore installed Acronis but inadvertently installed the
    > trial version (the message told me I had 15 days to evaluate Acronis).
    > Their technician emailed and told me to uninstall that and proceed with
    > some download that I have yet to get.
    >
    > However, the uninstall may have introduced some bad stuff. When I did
    > the recommended restart, Windows did not do so gracefully. I got the
    > "Windows Error Recovery -- Launch Startup Repair" message. From there I
    > finally ended up with choosing a backup point that Vista had somehow
    > automatically created. (I'm a novice to Vista and forgot about setting
    > backup points. My bad.)
    >
    > The backup point, unfortunately brought Acronis back.
    >
    > I suppose I can try the uninstall again at risk of repeating this
    > scenario.
    >
    > Any tips?

    Hmm. Not good. The files aren't there, but the registry links are. Your
    *easiest* and safest solution would be to use TweakUI (*only* the 2000
    version of it) to remove it from add/remove programs and then the menu
    editor (start->settings->taskbar & startmenu) to remove it from the start
    menu. Then reboot. No files are there, so there are no software conflicts
    and the above is the last thing an uninstall does. Anything further would
    involve very risky use of regedit.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Aug 3, 2009

  2. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    "Len" <> wrote in

    > "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    >> "Len" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I used Acronis True Image 9 for my old Win2k system. In my new Vista
    >>> system I therefore installed Acronis but inadvertently installed the
    >>> trial version (the message told me I had 15 days to evaluate Acronis).
    >>> Their technician emailed and told me to uninstall that and proceed
    >>> with some download that I have yet to get.
    >>>
    >>> However, the uninstall may have introduced some bad stuff. When I did
    >>> the recommended restart, Windows did not do so gracefully. I got the
    >>> "Windows Error Recovery -- Launch Startup Repair" message. From there
    >>> I finally ended up with choosing a backup point that Vista had somehow
    >>> automatically created. (I'm a novice to Vista and forgot about setting
    >>> backup points. My bad.)
    >>>
    >>> The backup point, unfortunately brought Acronis back.
    >>>
    >>> I suppose I can try the uninstall again at risk of repeating this
    >>> scenario.
    >>>
    >>> Any tips?
    >>>

    >> Hmm. Not good. The files aren't there, but the registry links are. Your
    >> *easiest* and safest solution would be to use TweakUI (*only* the 2000
    >> version of it) to remove it from add/remove programs and then the menu
    >> editor (start->settings->taskbar & startmenu) to remove it from the
    >> start menu. Then reboot. No files are there, so there are no software
    >> conflicts and the above is the last thing an uninstall does. Anything
    >> further would involve very risky use of regedit.
    >>

    > Thanks for the above script. I'll see if I can follow it through.

    This is all assuming that the directory it was originally installed into
    is gone as well. If not, remove it after the TweakUI.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Aug 4, 2009