    Help please.
    TIA
    Ivan

    ivan clough, Sep 28, 2003

  2. ivan clough

    Jammer Guest

    Jammer, Sep 28, 2003

  3. ivan clough

    Ionizer Guest

    A Trojan will attempt to make contact with the miscreants who created it, so
    that they can have access to your computer for various nefarious purposes.
    You've identified this Trojan, presumably with your AVG. AVG should tell
    you the name of the Trojan- you can do a search of the AVG site or here:
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/tools.list.html to see if a
    removal tool exists for it. If not, you may need to rely on AVG to "fix" or
    otherwise remove it.

    Regards,
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Sep 28, 2003
  4. ivan clough

    ivan clough Guest

    Hi.
    Thanks a lot fellas. Yes. Avg did detect and disinfect the
    trojan.
    Should I get a firewall do you think for the future?
    TIA

    ivan clough, Sep 28, 2003
  5. ivan clough

    Ionizer Guest

    > Hi.
    > Thanks a lot fellas. Yes. Avg did detect and disinfect the
    > trojan.
    > Should I get a firewall do you think for the future?
    > TIA

    Yes. Right this minute, in fact. Sygate, Kerio and ZoneLabs offer
    free-for-personal-use software firewalls which intercept both incoming AND
    outgoing transmissions. It's the interception of outgoing that blocks
    Trojans if you've inadvertently installed one.

    You don't have a firewall right now. Go here and click on "ShieldsUP!"
    http://grc.com/intro.htm It will quickly and benignly scan your connection
    and tell you just how vulnerable you are at this moment. Then install one
    of those free firewalls and re-visit ShieldsUP to see the difference.

    Regards,
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Sep 28, 2003
  6. ivan clough

    trout Guest

    ivan clough wrote:

    > Hi.
    > Thanks a lot fellas. Yes. Avg did detect and disinfect the
    > trojan.
    > Should I get a firewall do you think for the future?

    I'd also suggest you get Spyware Blaster:
    <http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareblaster.html>
    (and keep it up-to-date), to help prevent the sneaky installations.

    Also, don't start a new subject line with "re:". This makes it look
    like a reply (which have it automatically added by the news-client).

    > TIA
    > "Ionizer" <> wrote in message
    >> A Trojan will attempt to make contact with the miscreants who
    >> created it, so that they can have access to your computer for
    >> various nefarious purposes. You've identified this Trojan,
    >> presumably with your AVG. AVG should tell you the name of the
    >> Trojan- you can do a search of the AVG site or here:
    >> http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/tools.list.html to see
    >> if a removal tool exists for it. If not, you may need to rely on
    >> AVG to "fix" or otherwise remove it.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Ian.
    >>
    >> "ivan clough" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>> I haven't posted on here before.
    >>> I running win 98, and have avg 6.0 , spybot. and adaware,
    >>> all running on my pc.
    >>> I also have a trojan virus.
    >>> What does a trojan do? andhow can I get rid of it?
    >>> Help please.
    >>> TIA
    >>> Ivan

    trout, Sep 28, 2003
  7. ivan clough

    ivan clough Guest

    Thanks guys. Will do as you suggest.
    Cheers
    Ivan

    ivan clough, Sep 28, 2003
  8. ivan clough

    ivan clough Guest

    Hi.
    I ran Shields Up, and to my surprise it gave my pc a very
    high security clearance!!!!!!!
    Perhaps because I dont use file sharing.
    Anyway, I have downloaded ZA and installed it. Spyblaster is next.
    I cannot remember if I should top or bottom post???
    Thanks
    Ivan

    ivan clough, Sep 30, 2003
  9. ivan clough

    Petit Alexi Guest

    "ivan clough" <> wrote in news:blbqr8$rtq$1
    @newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk:

    > I cannot remember if I should top or bottom post???

    Are you asking for advice on a clear easy to read posting style, or are you
    asking what the rules are for this group?

    For this group you can post how you like, even if it makes you look like a
    mouth breathing knuckle dragging crack smoking brain damaged chimp.
    (Indeed, that would make you a respected reg in this group.)

    Posting in-line, snipping anything not relevant to your reply, keeping the
    attribs intact, putting a blank line between the quoted text and your
    reply, and making sure the quoted text is wrapped properly with the proper
    quantity of quote indicators will all make you posts easier to read.

    Blind people using screen readers can use newsreaders that skip quoted
    text, meaning they can quickly get to the new text. Thick people can see
    your points, and the points that you're replying to. Clever people will
    not hate you for top-posting-like-a-luser.

    Your choice, post sensibly or post like a dozy blumpkin.

    Petit Alexi, Sep 30, 2003
  10. ivan clough

    trout Guest

    Petit Alexi wrote:

    > "ivan clough" <> wrote in news:blbqr8$rtq$1
    > @newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk:
    >
    >> I cannot remember if I should top or bottom post???

    > Are you asking for advice on a clear easy to read posting style, or
    > are you asking what the rules are for this group?
    >
    > For this group you can post how you like, even if it makes you look
    > like a mouth breathing knuckle dragging crack smoking brain damaged
    > chimp. (Indeed, that would make you a respected reg in this group.)
    >
    > Posting in-line, snipping anything not relevant to your reply,
    > keeping the attribs intact, putting a blank line between the quoted
    > text and your reply, and making sure the quoted text is wrapped
    > properly with the proper quantity of quote indicators will all make
    > you posts easier to read.
    >
    > Blind people using screen readers can use newsreaders that skip quoted
    > text, meaning they can quickly get to the new text. Thick people can
    > see your points, and the points that you're replying to. Clever
    > people will not hate you for top-posting-like-a-luser.
    >
    > Your choice, post sensibly or post like a dozy blumpkin.

    So, you have no personal preference, then.
    --
    "Is that a FAQ in your pocket; or were you just happy to see the
    question?"

    trout, Sep 30, 2003
  11. ivan clough

    Brian H¹© Guest

    *I* do *eg*

    Brian H¹©, Sep 30, 2003
  12. ivan clough

    trout Guest

    ivan clough wrote:

    > Hi.
    > I ran Shields Up, and to my surprise it gave my pc a very
    > high security clearance!!!!!!!
    > Perhaps because I dont use file sharing.
    > Anyway, I have downloaded ZA and installed it. Spyblaster is next.

    Yes, this is a good *addition* to a firewall; as it will help to
    prevent malicious (and invisible) downloads from sites that you are
    visiting (and therefore have been given permission to get through your
    firewall, already).

    > I cannot remember if I should top or bottom post???
    > Thanks
    > Ivan

    Either form has traditionally been acceptable in this newsgroup
    (despite the bug-eyed hatred that top-posting inspires in some).
    I believe it should be up to you; in a thread that *you've* begun,
    and that it matters very little for a 'first reply' to a post.
    If you reply in a longer thread, which already consists of a number
    of bottom-posts, it would be best to continue the same for the sake of
    clarity.
    And, yes; be aware that in probably *most* Usenet groups; the views
    (dramatically) expressed by "Petit Alexi" are often the majority
    opinion.
    His points about snipping redundant text, keeping intact
    attributions and separating your text with blank lines are valid in any
    case.
    --
    "It should just be clear to whom, and what, you are replying."

    trout, Sep 30, 2003
  13. ivan clough

    Petit Alexi Guest

    "trout" <> wrote in news:blcn5h$ap4b0$-
    berlin.de:

    > Petit Alexi wrote:
    >>
    >> Your choice, post sensibly or post like a dozy blumpkin.

    > So, you have no personal preference, then.

    No, people can post however they want to in this group.

    Petit Alexi, Oct 1, 2003
  14. ivan clough

    Petit Alexi Guest

    "trout" <> wrote in news:blcobb$adi1b$-
    berlin.de:

    <snip>

    > the views (dramatically) expressed by "Petit Alexi"

    People might be pleased to hear I'm on decaff only toady, so I'm much
    mellower.

    I'm off to have a nap.

    Petit Alexi, Oct 1, 2003