Re: Trojan got through to JUST IE and not FireFox

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by PeeCee, Jan 4, 2011.

  1. PeeCee

    PeeCee Guest

    On 4/01/2011 11:49 a.m., Lookout wrote:
    > Windows XP Pro
    > All Svc packs
    >
    > While using Firefox AND Yahoo chat a virus program popped up saying
    > I'm infected and it's scanning for problems. Seen this before. Shut
    > things down, tried do get updates for SuperAntiSpyware and that was
    > blocked. Scanned with MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware and found
    > nothing. HOWEVER when I got back on I found I still couldn't update
    > SuperAntiSpyware AND Yahoo chat was still down BUT FireFox was fine.
    > Checked and the Proxy Server settings on IE had been changed.
    >
    > So..how do I find out which port this got through that both IE and
    > SuperAntiSpyware use and how do I stop it from happening? My Windows
    > Firewall IS ON.
    >
    > Thanks

    You have what is generally known as a 'Smitfraud' infection.

    Scamware, Malware, Scareware call it what you may, they are getting
    harder to kill as they deliberately neutralise the ability of
    AntiVirus/Spyware programs to detect them by killing the AV/AS detection
    processes.

    However if you get 'Autoruns'
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902 look for a
    startup in your system profile that has a random letter/number name.
    e.g. (Vista/Win7) C:\users\username\spt4xsb.exe.

    If that doesn't get it download 'Combofix'
    http://www.combofix.org/download.php
    (ignore the large advert mid screen).

    Note some of these infections block combofix.exe from running just like
    they block control panel, regedit etc.
    If you can't get Combofix.exe to run rename it on another PC to
    'winlogon.exe' and try that.
    Just don't put the renamed file into Windows\system32 and overwrite the
    'real' winlogon.exe.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Jan 4, 2011

  2. Lookout <> is gettin' disturbed now:

    > That's what I did BEFORE I shut down. Checked there
    > and the Processes running and deleted several suspicious
    > looking ones.

    You should delete your C: drive and then reformat your brain,
    you pathetic dumbass. All your hard-drive are eat-up now.
    There is NO cure, but YOU are hazardous to healthy things.

    HTH.

    --

    I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^; in loving touch with my
    "inner narcissist" and on the 'AWESOMENESS METER',

    You should not view the world in terms
    and finding acceptance of them as such.

    I could help you with that... but...
    I really just don't like you that much.

    Repent! The end is near! Or, smoke 'em if you got 'em...
    an-nnnn-duh... *good* "luck" - if there's an apocalypse.

    Bucky Breeder, Jan 5, 2011