Re: Trojan got through to JUST IE and not FireFox

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by richard, Jan 3, 2011.

  1. richard

    richard Guest

    On Mon, 03 Jan 2011 16:49:18 -0600, Lookout wrote:

    > Windows XP Pro
    > All Svc packs
    >
    > While using Firefox AND Yahoo chat a virus program popped up saying
    > I'm infected and it's scanning for problems. Seen this before. Shut
    > things down, tried do get updates for SuperAntiSpyware and that was
    > blocked. Scanned with MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware and found
    > nothing. HOWEVER when I got back on I found I still couldn't update
    > SuperAntiSpyware AND Yahoo chat was still down BUT FireFox was fine.
    > Checked and the Proxy Server settings on IE had been changed.
    >
    > So..how do I find out which port this got through that both IE and
    > SuperAntiSpyware use and how do I stop it from happening? My Windows
    > Firewall IS ON.
    >
    > Thanks

    Most likely it was triggered by one of the chatters on purpose.
    From what I've seen, that thing is basically an ad and a scare tactic.
    Did you get a screen showing "your" directory? Look closely, it ain't
    yours.
    Best guess is, it is not a virus or trojan, just some idiot's idea of
    spamming.

    richard, Jan 3, 2011