Re: Trivial question on purchasing a computer case

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Trent©, Oct 15, 2003.

  1. Trent©

    Trent© Guest

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 15:10:00 GMT, "Larry Smith" <>
    wrote:

    >Don't know if this is the right NG but if there's a better one please let me
    >know. I'm assembling my own PC for home use (Intel P4) and have purchased
    >all the parts except the case which I'm having trouble picking out. Can
    >someone please set me straight:
    >
    >1) Will a 300 watt power supply realistically suffice. Besides the basics
    >(single hard drive only, CD, video card, network card, etc.), the only
    >"luxuries" I'm adding is a sound card (hardly a luxury these days) and a
    >separate TV adapter (separate from the video card that is). I know 300 watts
    >will work fine but is it really worth the money to upgrade to 350 or more to
    >reduce the strain. Or can I expect 300 will probably last for years in this
    >environment. It's very unlikely I will ever tax the system with much more
    >than what I've described.

    300 will probably work fine...but you shouldn't need to spend more
    than $10 or so to beef it up just a bit. Just be sure the case has
    the features you want in regard to bays and other features. Many
    cases now come with front USB connections, etc.

    Many of the 'features' that the more expensive cases provide you'll
    never use or care about after the initial install...like edges that
    aren't sharp. Not important if yer careful...and after the initial
    install.

    >2) Does the case really matter (notwithstanding its looks). For those
    >shipped with a power supply included, they generally range in price from
    >about $50 to hundreds of dollars. I've read all sorts of reviews about case
    >materials (aluminum vs steel for instance), cooling abilities, room for
    >additional fans, etc.

    They need to advertise SOMETHING...if they're gonna try to sell their
    product to you! lol Some cases are MUCH better in quality. But do
    you really need that quality?

    If yer goin' to the store to get a loaf of bread, a Volkswagen and a
    Mercedes will both get you there. lol

    I've never spent over $50 for a case with power supply...and I've only
    had 1 come back in over 10 years. My average case costs me
    $29...wholesale, of course, and in volume.

    >In the end though am I really going to see a
    >substantial difference between a cheap steel case for, say, $80, vs some
    >space age looking contraption made out of exotic composites from NASA?

    $80 cheap? That's high end. lol

    >In
    >particular, how negatively does the cheap case really impact on heat
    >dissipation for instance (in a real-world environment). Will it
    >realistically wear my components out before their time compared to a more
    >expensive case?

    Size makes a big difference when it comes to heat...not quality of
    case. A mid-size tower should be sufficient for what yer gonna put in
    it.

    And size, of course, will determine how many bays you'll have on it.

    Cases are like cars. Spend what you feel comfortable with...and what
    you can afford. They'll both get you to the grocery store. lol

    Good luck.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Oct 15, 2003

  2. Trent©

    Larry Smith Guest

    > 300 will probably work fine...but you shouldn't need to spend more
    > than $10 or so to beef it up just a bit. Just be sure the case has
    > the features you want in regard to bays and other features. Many
    > cases now come with front USB connections, etc.

    Thanks for all the advice in general (appreciated). Do you think it needs
    "beefing" up for a fairly basic system however? It may be only $10 but it's
    like paying a bit extra for a little more drive space. If the drive is
    already 60Gb and you're not storing any video or a lot of huge games, then
    forking out more $ for 80Gb would be a waste of money (since most will never
    come close to filling 60Gb let alone 80Gb). If a 350 Watt PS will add real
    tangible benefits however than I'll definitely get one. Your opinion? Thanks
    again.

    Larry Smith, Oct 15, 2003