Re: Trivial question on purchasing a computer case

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by DeMoN LaG, Oct 14, 2003.

  1. DeMoN LaG

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Larry Smith" <> wrote in

    > 2) Does the case really matter (notwithstanding its looks). For those
    > shipped with a power supply included, they generally range in price
    > from about $50 to hundreds of dollars. I've read all sorts of reviews
    > about case materials (aluminum vs steel for instance), cooling
    > abilities, room for additional fans, etc. In the end though am I
    > really going to see a substantial difference between a cheap steel
    > case for, say, $80, vs some space age looking contraption made out of
    > exotic composites from NASA? In particular, how negatively does the
    > cheap case really impact on heat dissipation for instance (in a
    > real-world environment). Will it realistically wear my components out
    > before their time compared to a more expensive case?

    You probably won't see any difference in what the case is made of for what
    you are doing. The only thing you need to do is /not/ get a $50 case that
    comes with a power supply and expect the supply to be any good. You want a
    good quality Antec or Enermax power supply. A quality 300w - 400w supply
    will run you between $60 and $80 by itself. You may consider it a waste of
    money, but you take a crappy supply and stick your $100 hard drive and $100
    video card and $60 TV card in there and the PS being flaky damages one of
    them, you will kick yourself senseless for buying a low quality PS.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Oct 14, 2003

  2. DeMoN LaG

    Larry Smith Guest

    > > 2) Does the case really matter (notwithstanding its looks). For those
    > > shipped with a power supply included, they generally range in price
    > > from about $50 to hundreds of dollars. I've read all sorts of reviews
    > > about case materials (aluminum vs steel for instance), cooling
    > > abilities, room for additional fans, etc. In the end though am I
    > > really going to see a substantial difference between a cheap steel
    > > case for, say, $80, vs some space age looking contraption made out of
    > > exotic composites from NASA? In particular, how negatively does the
    > > cheap case really impact on heat dissipation for instance (in a
    > > real-world environment). Will it realistically wear my components out
    > > before their time compared to a more expensive case?

    > You probably won't see any difference in what the case is made of for what
    > you are doing. The only thing you need to do is /not/ get a $50 case that
    > comes with a power supply and expect the supply to be any good. You want

    > good quality Antec or Enermax power supply. A quality 300w - 400w supply
    > will run you between $60 and $80 by itself. You may consider it a waste

    of
    > money, but you take a crappy supply and stick your $100 hard drive and

    $100
    > video card and $60 TV card in there and the PS being flaky damages one of
    > them, you will kick yourself senseless for buying a low quality PS.

    Thanks for the feedback. Based on your experience, do you generally consider
    the PS that comes shipped with the case to be of relatively good quality, at
    least for the well-known manufacturers anyway (such as Antec which I'm
    currently eyeing). I know you can always do better by buying a high quality
    PS separately but I don't need overkill. If the quality of a pre-installed
    PS can generally be relied on I'll go that route. Also, do you think 300
    Watts is plenty for my situation? Thanks again.

    Larry Smith, Oct 14, 2003