Re: Triplets of Bellville not OAR?!?!?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Smaug69, May 4, 2004.

  1. Smaug69

    Smaug69 Guest

    (Eric R.) wrote in message news:<>...
    > I just read a review of this great release which reports that this
    > release to hacked up to fit it in a widescreen (1.78:1) ratio! Goddamn
    > Americans!
    >
    > Does anyone know if there is a European release with the proper 1.66:1
    > framing?
    >
    > -Eric

    I saw it in the theater in a 1.85:1 ratio.

    Smaug69
    Smaug69, May 4, 2004

  2. Smaug69

    JR Guest

    Re: Triplets of Bellville dubbed?

    Also, as far as i can tell by the package, the US version is in English

    isn't the original in French?

    or wouldn't it matter because it's animated?

    anybody have an opinion? Because i would much rather have the option to
    switch back and forth.

    JR, May 4, 2004

  3. Re: Triplets of Bellville dubbed?

    JR wrote:

    > Also, as far as i can tell by the package, the US version is in English
    >
    > isn't the original in French?
    >
    > or wouldn't it matter because it's animated?

    Or, wouldn't it matter because there's no dialogue in it?

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, May 5, 2004
  4. Smaug69

    Eric R. Guest

    (Smaug69) wrote in message news:<>...

    > I saw it in the theater in a 1.85:1 ratio.

    Let me guess, you're an American right?

    -Eric
    Eric R., May 5, 2004
  5. Smaug69

    Mike Kohary Guest

    > > I saw it in the theater in a 1.85:1 ratio.

    > Let me guess, you're an American right?

    Theaters mis-frame films all the time, no matter what country you're viewing
    in.

    Your original post (blaming Americans - I guess we're to blame for
    everything, right?) was obnoxious enough. Why don't you stop while you're
    ahead?

    FWIW, while the Triplets of Bellville is literally not OAR (and I agree
    there's no good reason it shouldn't be), the difference between the DVD
    presentation and OAR is about 2% of screen space. Let's not make a mountain
    out of a molehill.

    Mike
    Mike Kohary, May 5, 2004
  6. Eric R. wrote:
    > Smaug69 wrote:
    >> I saw it in the theater in a 1.85:1 ratio.

    > Let me guess, you're an American right?

    At the risk of repeating myself, I'll point out again that the reviewer at
    DVDTimes (a UK site) mentions that the film was screened at 1.85:1 when he
    saw it in the cinema:

    <http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=10549>

    So if the 1.85:1 theatrical framing is a mistake, it's not a mistake
    confined to the USA.

    doug

    --
    "Don't stay in a sad place where they don't care how you are..."
    --David Bowie
    Douglas Bailey, May 5, 2004
  7. Smaug69

    Smaug69 Guest

    "Mike Kohary" <> wrote in message news:<c7bfb9$l8k$>...
    > "Eric R." <> wrote in message
    > > (Smaug69) wrote in message

    > > > I saw it in the theater in a 1.85:1 ratio.

    > > Let me guess, you're an American right?

    > Theaters mis-frame films all the time, no matter what country you're viewing
    > in.
    >
    > Your original post (blaming Americans - I guess we're to blame for
    > everything, right?) was obnoxious enough. Why don't you stop while you're
    > ahead?
    >
    > FWIW, while the Triplets of Bellville is literally not OAR (and I agree
    > there's no good reason it shouldn't be), the difference between the DVD
    > presentation and OAR is about 2% of screen space. Let's not make a mountain
    > out of a molehill.

    Considering how bent out of shape most videophiles and movie buffs get
    around here when something is not released in its OAR I don't think
    it's making something out of nothing. I always have a problem when the
    OAR is not represented. In the case of Tripletts of Belleville,
    though, even the theatrical presentation was wrong. It begs the
    question of the director, "If your film is not going to be presented
    in the theater or on home video in the ratio you shot it in, then why
    shoot it in that ratio?"

    Smaug69
    Smaug69, May 6, 2004
  8. Smaug69

    Eric R. Guest

    "Mike Kohary" <> wrote in message news:<c7bfb9$l8k$>...

    > blaming Americans - I guess we're to blame for
    > everything, right?

    No, you're just incredibly arrogant, self-centered, and hypocritical.
    These are not qualities limited to you, certainly. You just have them
    in a greater concentration than anyone else.

    > Why don't you stop while you're
    > ahead?

    That's what you should have told your beloved president after
    Afghanistan.

    > Let's not make a mountain
    > out of a molehill.

    People raise Hell on this group when a movie is presented open matte
    (even though it actually just shows a little MORE picture). Yet
    they're perfectly happy to ignore an affront to 1.66 OAR as long as it
    looks good on their expensive new widescreen TV's--proving once again
    that this newsgroup is populated with videophiles, not true film
    buffs.

    -Eric
    Eric R., May 6, 2004
  9. Smaug69

    Mike Kohary Guest

    > > blaming Americans - I guess we're to blame for
    > > everything, right?

    > No, you're just incredibly arrogant, self-centered, and hypocritical.
    > These are not qualities limited to you, certainly. You just have them
    > in a greater concentration than anyone else.

    Me personally, or Americans? If me, you don't really know me, so your
    statements are unjustified. If Americans, you're a bigot. Which one do you
    choose?

    Let's keep it civil and on-topic, shall we? There is no earthly reason to
    make pithy anti-American remarks in the context that you made yours.

    > > Let's not make a mountain
    > > out of a molehill.

    > People raise Hell on this group when a movie is presented open matte
    > (even though it actually just shows a little MORE picture). Yet
    > they're perfectly happy to ignore an affront to 1.66 OAR as long as it
    > looks good on their expensive new widescreen TV's--proving once again
    > that this newsgroup is populated with videophiles, not true film
    > buffs.

    I'm a film buff, not a videophile, and while my top preference would be OAR,
    in this case the reformat is almost negligible. Keeping it in perspective,
    there are far worse examples of films that should have gotten OAR and
    didn't.

    Mike
    Mike Kohary, May 6, 2004
  10. In article <c7e23r$48o$>, "Mike Kohary" <>
    wrote:

    > > No, you're just incredibly arrogant, self-centered, and hypocritical.
    > > These are not qualities limited to you, certainly. You just have them
    > > in a greater concentration than anyone else.

    > Me personally, or Americans? If me, you don't really know me, so your
    > statements are unjustified. If Americans, you're a bigot. Which one do you
    > choose?

    Exactly. By Eric's criteria he himself is a stuffy, emotionless,
    child-hating, jingoistic, scone-eating, pint-swilling, football watching
    tosser. Way to go, Eric!
    Urra Dipschitt, May 6, 2004