Re: transferring registrants

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by art, Aug 10, 2003.

  1. art

    art Guest

    On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 16:12:07 +1200, Evil Bastard
    <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote:

    >On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 15:46:25 +1200, Michael Payne wrote:
    >
    >> How do I go about transferring a .nz domain name to a different registrant.
    >> Is it possible?

    >Piss easy.
    >
    >Step 1 - Log in to your existing registrar account, and fill in a UDAI
    >request form - your UDAI is like a 'key' which lets you relocate to
    >another registrar, and gets emailed to you.
    >
    >Step 2 - Choose and contact a new registrar, open an account, and tell 'em
    >you're switching.
    >
    >Step 3 - log in to your new registrar account, and use the UDAI to move
    >your domain to the new registry
    >
    >The sales rep at the new registrar should be able to assist at all steps
    >of the way.
    >
    >Totally worth the modest effort. I switched a few months ago, and now have
    >my domains for virtually half the cost. Why pay $60-odd/year when you get
    >exactly the same service from other registrars for around $30-$40/year?
    >
    >(Speaking of which, some may snicker at one large ISP's pricing -
    >somewhere in the neighbourhood of $180/year/domain - and that's just
    >registry, not including DNS!)
    >
    >Enjoy
    >EB

    Pretty easy to guess who that is. I do wonder how these registrars
    make money, as $24 of the registration goes to InternetNZ.. They've
    got a pretty good thing going with that as more and more people
    register.
    art, Aug 10, 2003

  2. art

    DPF Guest

    On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 17:24:22 +1200, art <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 16:12:07 +1200, Evil Bastard
    ><postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote:
    >
    >>(Speaking of which, some may snicker at one large ISP's pricing -
    >>somewhere in the neighbourhood of $180/year/domain - and that's just
    >>registry, not including DNS!)
    >>

    >Pretty easy to guess who that is. I do wonder how these registrars
    >make money, as $24 of the registration goes to InternetNZ.. They've
    >got a pretty good thing going with that as more and more people
    >register.

    NZRS (owned by InternetNZ) charges $2/month as a registry fee. Around
    half of this goes on the actual costs of running the registry and the
    ..nz DNS servers. A bit less than half goes to cover the costs of the
    Domain Name Commissioner who regulates the market and provides policy
    oversight.

    As the number of names grows, InternetNZ will make some profit from
    the registry (to cover activities such as internet code of practice,
    anti-spam campaign etc) but it is also intended that the $2/month fee
    will reduce over time.

    DPF
    --
    Blog: http://www.kiwiblog.co.nz
    E-mail:
    DPF, Aug 10, 2003

  3. "DPF" <> wrote in message >
    > NZRS (owned by InternetNZ) charges $2/month as a registry fee. Around
    > half of this goes on the actual costs of running the registry and the
    > .nz DNS servers. A bit less than half goes to cover the costs of the
    > Domain Name Commissioner who regulates the market and provides policy
    > oversight.

    Bloody 'ell,

    Tell me if she ever quits and i'll take her wage then ! hell, I'll take half
    of it even !

    (some rubbish figures
    100,000 domains registered
    $24 per domain

    $2,400,000/year

    a little under half of that

    $1,000,000/year

    hmm, not a bad wage..

    )

    one does wonder tho, what exactly are the costs associated with running a
    cluster of domain servers that cause an expenditure of $1,400,000/year...

    --
    Steve.
    Steve Phillips, Aug 18, 2003
  4. art

    DPF Guest

    On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 01:28:52 +1200, "Steve Phillips"
    <> wrote:

    >"DPF" <> wrote in message >
    >> NZRS (owned by InternetNZ) charges $2/month as a registry fee. Around
    >> half of this goes on the actual costs of running the registry and the
    >> .nz DNS servers. A bit less than half goes to cover the costs of the
    >> Domain Name Commissioner who regulates the market and provides policy
    >> oversight.

    >Bloody 'ell,
    >
    >Tell me if she ever quits and i'll take her wage then ! hell, I'll take half
    >of it even !

    Heh I think you are overlooking the other costs of the office such as
    the other staff, the office overheads, the very very considerable
    legal fees, and also the costs of attendance at ICANN meetings is all
    funded from that amount. The budget is public and is at
    http://www.internetnz.net.nz/members/agm/agm03budget.html

    DNC Personnel and Staff costs $ 270,000
    DNC Office and administration $ 66,700
    DNC Professional Services $ 180,000
    DNC Communications $ 45,000
    DNC - NZOC and other cmtes $ 58,000
    DNC Registrar Activities $ 43,500
    DNC - International $ 152,500

    So it covers all associated costs with the policy around .nz - liaison
    with registrars, policy consultation and setting, sanctions against
    orgs which break the rules etc etc.

    >one does wonder tho, what exactly are the costs associated with running a
    >cluster of domain servers that cause an expenditure of $1,400,000/year...

    The NZRS Annual Report is also publicly available (Note I am a
    Director of NZRS and on Board of InternetNZ so this makes be either
    biased or knowledgable - people's choice :)

    http://www.internetnz.net.nz/members/agm/reg030531annual-report.pdf

    The expenditure for nine months (excluding DNC fee) was around
    $700,000 including almost $200,000 of depreciation on the SRS itself.

    There is a big focus on stability and disaster recovery. For example
    even if Wgtn gets taken out in an earthquake, one still wants the
    registry (and hence the .nz DNS) to keep operating, so there is going
    to be hosted operations in both Wellington and Auckland for the SRS.
    There are also the nine DNS servers. Also one has staff to deal with
    the 40 or so Registrars, do planning etc etc.

    Both the DNC and NZRS have been in their first year of operations when
    costs have been unknown to some degree. Towards the end of this year
    the fee level for .nz is going to be reviewed to see if it can be
    dropped. This will of course depend on what expenditure is tracking
    at, the number of domain names registered.

    DPF
    --
    Blog: http://www.kiwiblog.co.nz
    E-mail: