Re: transferring from old c to new c drive

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ron Martell, Jun 29, 2003.

  1. Ron Martell

    Ron Martell Guest

    "John" <> wrote:

    >Hi group,
    >What is the correct procedure for transferring the contents of my old c
    >drive to a new c drive after partioning and formatting,do i need a specific
    >program or can it be done on the fly?

    As others have said the free xxcopy utility is a viable method of
    doing what you want.

    However it is also relatively slow so if you have a large volume of
    data to be transferred (e.g. more than 20 gb) then you might want to
    look for a faster method of doing the transfer.

    Other transfer options include:

    1. Utility provided by the hard drive manufacturer. If there was no
    utility disk provided with the new hard drive then you can download
    one (free) from most hard drive manufacturer's web sites. These
    utilities tend to be brand-specific, requiring that at least one of
    the hard drives involved be their brand.

    2. Ghost from Symantec

    3. Drive Image from Power Quest

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada