Re: Tracking ADSL outages?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Chris Mayhew, Aug 20, 2003.

  1. Chris Mayhew

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Col^ <> wrote in news::

    > On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 09:25:23 GMT, Chris Mayhew <> wrote:
    >
    >>back again <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I'm using jetstart via Paradise, and it seems to have gotten less
    >>> reliable recently.
    >>>
    >>> Is there any good Windows freeware out there that can keep track of
    >>> connectivity and generate nice graphs?
    >>>
    >>> eg: software that pings an IP address regularly (eg., a Paradise DNS
    >>> server every half hour), and display an extended graph of the
    >>> results over different intervals (eg., today, this week, last month,
    >>> this month, this year etc).
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,
    >>> Mark
    >>>

    >>Interesting, I have had my first 3 outages in the last 2 weeks after a
    >>year or more of faultless service. Using Jetstart via Paradise as
    >>well

    > There has been at least 5 outages in the last 30 days . SOme for up to
    > 3 hours. I use Paradise Jetstart . THe authentication server has
    > crapped it's pants every time. I also get periods of inactivity where
    > nothing can access the net . These mini outages last for anything from
    > 1 to 3 minutes . Pain in the arse. Paradise used to be a top ISP but
    > nowadays i am not so sure. The haven't the brains to put a message on
    > the 0800 number to avoid long waits to inform them "Your
    > authentication server is down again"

    OK, so it's been worse than I realised. I never bothered to phone the help
    desk cause of delays etc getting through.

    These micro outages are interesting. I have a Dynalink RTA020 Router which
    just stops responding from time to time - use to be days apart now
    sometimes every day. There are no error lights on the Router - it just
    stops working and switching the Router off and then back on again gets
    things moving again. Is this the same as your "Micro Outage" problem ?

    --
    Chris Mayhew using Xnews !

    Chris Mayhew, Aug 20, 2003

  2. Chris Mayhew

    Col^ Guest

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 10:34:33 GMT, Chris Mayhew <> wrote:

    >Col^ <> wrote in news::
    >
    >> On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 09:25:23 GMT, Chris Mayhew <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>back again <> wrote in

    >>>Interesting, I have had my first 3 outages in the last 2 weeks after a
    >>>year or more of faultless service. Using Jetstart via Paradise as
    >>>well

    >> There has been at least 5 outages in the last 30 days . SOme for up to
    >> 3 hours. I use Paradise Jetstart . THe authentication server has
    >> crapped it's pants every time. I also get periods of inactivity where
    >> nothing can access the net . These mini outages last for anything from
    >> 1 to 3 minutes . Pain in the arse. Paradise used to be a top ISP but
    >> nowadays i am not so sure. The haven't the brains to put a message on
    >> the 0800 number to avoid long waits to inform them "Your
    >> authentication server is down again"

    >OK, so it's been worse than I realised. I never bothered to phone the help
    >desk cause of delays etc getting through.
    >
    >These micro outages are interesting. I have a Dynalink RTA020 Router which
    >just stops responding from time to time - use to be days apart now
    >sometimes every day. There are no error lights on the Router - it just
    >stops working and switching the Router off and then back on again gets
    >things moving again. Is this the same as your "Micro Outage" problem ?

    It seems as if it is . all the connections on programs like AIM and mIRC just
    drop out . The connection to the Dslam stay connected. it is as if Paradise drop
    off the ADSL system for a minute or so .

    --

    Col

    Col's law.
    Thinly sliced cabbage..

    Col^, Aug 20, 2003

  3. Chris Mayhew

    PseUDO Guest

    "Col^" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 10:34:33 GMT, Chris Mayhew
    > It seems as if it is . all the connections on programs like AIM and mIRC

    just
    > drop out . The connection to the Dslam stay connected. it is as if

    Paradise drop
    > off the ADSL system for a minute or so .
    >
    > --
    >
    > Col
    >
    > Col's law.
    > Thinly sliced cabbage..

    Mines being doing the same with adsl jetstart with paradise, and the
    connection to the dslam is still their, but no activity , i also tried
    connecting to the jetstreamgames server and no activity their either, so it
    must be the adsl side of things.

    Can anybody make a connection to the jetstreamgames server when their
    connection to paradise is lost??

    PseUDO

    PseUDO, Aug 21, 2003