Re: Tourist in Chicago - Where to buy DVD's?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Non, Apr 1, 2004.

  1. Non

    Non Guest

    On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 16:49:24 +0200, "Søren Kongstad"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I am going to Chicago at the end of april, and would like to buy some DVD's.
    >
    >I can see that the prices in Denmark are 20-30% higher than the US prices,
    >but I can't buy onlilne because shipping costs and tax/duty will eat up the
    >difference.
    >
    >Do any of you know of some good shops in Chicago where I can buy cheap
    >DVD's?
    >
    >Thanks
    >/Søren

    Any Best Buy, Target, Circuit CIty, WalMart, etc...

    One place to AVOID is the tourist trap "Virgin Megastore" on Michigan
    Avenue. Everything there is FULL LIST PRICE or worse.

    Are you looking for Chicago loop area stores or in the suburbs?

    Non, Apr 1, 2004

  2. Non

    Andrew Venor Guest

    Non wrote:
    > On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 16:49:24 +0200, "Søren Kongstad"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Hi
    >>
    >>I am going to Chicago at the end of april, and would like to buy some DVD's.
    >>
    >>I can see that the prices in Denmark are 20-30% higher than the US prices,
    >>but I can't buy onlilne because shipping costs and tax/duty will eat up the
    >>difference.
    >>
    >>Do any of you know of some good shops in Chicago where I can buy cheap
    >>DVD's?
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>/Søren
    >>

    > Any Best Buy, Target, Circuit CIty, WalMart, etc...
    >
    > One place to AVOID is the tourist trap "Virgin Megastore" on Michigan
    > Avenue. Everything there is FULL LIST PRICE or worse.
    >
    > Are you looking for Chicago loop area stores or in the suburbs?

    I noticed that their was a DVD store in O'Hare airport the last time I
    changed planes at the United Airlines terminal. The prices were full
    retail, so I would recommend shopping in the city where you can find
    better prices.

    ALV

    Andrew Venor, Apr 1, 2004

  3. "Non" <> wrote in message

    > Any Best Buy, Target, Circuit CIty, WalMart, etc...
    >
    > One place to AVOID is the tourist trap "Virgin Megastore" on Michigan
    > Avenue. Everything there is FULL LIST PRICE or worse.
    >
    > Are you looking for Chicago loop area stores or in the suburbs?

    Hi

    Thanks for your reply. I am going to a conference, so my time on my own will
    be very limited. I just wanted to know if anyone knew of some good places.
    The prices i can find seem to indicate that even the retail price is better
    than the Danish prices (this is of course helped along by the fact that the
    dollar rate is currently very attractive), and also I would like to know
    where not to go.

    So thanks very much for your help

    /Soren

    Søren Kongstad, Apr 2, 2004
  4. Non

    Non Guest

    On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 13:20:18 +0200, "Søren Kongstad"
    <> wrote:

    >"Non" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >> Any Best Buy, Target, Circuit CIty, WalMart, etc...
    >>
    >> One place to AVOID is the tourist trap "Virgin Megastore" on Michigan
    >> Avenue. Everything there is FULL LIST PRICE or worse.
    >>
    >> Are you looking for Chicago loop area stores or in the suburbs?
    >>

    >Hi
    >
    >Thanks for your reply. I am going to a conference, so my time on my own will
    >be very limited. I just wanted to know if anyone knew of some good places.
    >The prices i can find seem to indicate that even the retail price is better
    >than the Danish prices (this is of course helped along by the fact that the
    >dollar rate is currently very attractive), and also I would like to know
    >where not to go.
    >
    >So thanks very much for your help
    >
    >/Soren

    Well, you still didn't say what area of Chicago this conference is
    going to be in...

    If it's near O'Hare airport, find the closest Circuit City, Best Buy,
    Target, or Walmart store.

    If you're going to be near Midway Airport (which I doubt, mostly
    domestic flights there I think), you can go about 2 miles south on
    Cicero Ave. to the Ford City Mall area where you can easily find
    pretty much every large retailer within a few blocks.

    In downtown Chicago, there are various music/video stores that
    probably sell mostly around list price but with some sale prices on
    newer releases. Tower Records on Wabash has a decent selection but
    doesn't really mark anything down. On the near north side there;s a
    MUCH better Tower records on Broadway and Belden that has decent sale
    prices on the more popular titles but list price on pretty much
    everything else. The closest Best Buy store to downtown Chicago is
    on North Avenue and they have a better selection than most of the
    other downtown Chicago stores and usually around 15-20% off list
    price, with new releases going for $15-$20 and weekly sale prices like
    2 for $20 on various catalog titles, etc. Oh yea and that VIrgin
    Megastore is on Michigan and around Ohio in the Michigan Ave
    tourist./shopping area. Everything is full list price but there are
    occasionally small sales and they have a fairly decent selection.

    Non, Apr 2, 2004