Re: tough to be a wedding photographer

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by DanP, Jul 12, 2010.

  1. DanP

    DanP Guest

    On Jul 12, 7:35 pm, George Kerby <> wrote:
    > On 7/12/10 1:10 PM, in article
    > 2010071211102316807-christophercampbellremovethis@hotmailcom, "C J Campbell"
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > > On 2010-07-12 10:48:13 -0700, Bowser <> said:

    > >>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9HD5GZooPQ

    > > He blocks the videographer from filming the entire wedding retreat. He
    > > doesn't know where the fountain is. As Robert Cole pointed out, he is
    > > using a flash with a diffuser pointed straight up -- hardly helping him
    > > at all. He walks backwards for a long distance without looking where he
    > > is going.

    > > He deserved what he got.

    > What the hell was he doing with that Canon 'cannon' on his shoulder. Useless
    > for that particular event. Showing off, I guess...

    Just an idea, would you consider covering the walk with a long lens
    from the other end of the aisle?

    DanP
    DanP, Jul 12, 2010

  2. DanP

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 14:32:29 -0700, C J Campbell
    <> wrote:
    : On 2010-07-12 13:42:31 -0700, DanP <> said:
    :
    : > On Jul 12, 7:35 pm, George Kerby <> wrote:
    : >> On 7/12/10 1:10 PM, in article
    : >> 2010071211102316807-christophercampbellremovethis@hotmailcom, "C J Campbe
    : > ll"
    : >>
    : >> <> wrote:
    : >>> On 2010-07-12 10:48:13 -0700, Bowser <> said:
    : >>
    : >>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9HD5GZooPQ
    : >>
    : >>> He blocks the videographer from filming the entire wedding retreat. He
    : >>> doesn't know where the fountain is. As Robert Cole pointed out, he is
    : >>> using a flash with a diffuser pointed straight up -- hardly helping him
    : >>> at all. He walks backwards for a long distance without looking where he
    : >>> is going.
    : >>
    : >>> He deserved what he got.
    : >>
    : >> What the hell was he doing with that Canon 'cannon' on his shoulder. Usel
    : > ess
    : >> for that particular event. Showing off, I guess...
    : >
    : > Just an idea, would you consider covering the walk with a long lens
    : > from the other end of the aisle?
    : >
    : > DanP
    :
    : I might. The thing is, can you imagine in your wildest dreams the bride
    : and groom buying any of those frames? I can't. Let the videographer
    : shoot them. The bride and groom will buy the video.

    They will now! ;^)

    : I am all for documentary wedding photography, mind you. But a repeat of
    : the same shot over and over is not the way to do documentary. The
    : photographer should be getting other angles, other perspectives, and
    : different framing. His tightly framed pair of faces with a bit of
    : church all around them is fine -- for one or two shots. But that is not
    : the whole show. He needs to move around more relative to the subjects
    : and he especially needs to be invisible.

    It's a pleasure to watch a good wedding photographer in action. The most
    recent time, I didn't get to see him do the ceremony - had to babysit my
    grandson - but watched him intently during the reception (except, of course,
    while I was doing my own shooting). He was indeed very nearly invisible, and
    always in the right place at the right time. Because I was so busy myself, I
    never got to see his pictures. But my daughter, a good photographer herself,
    told me that they were superb. (FWIW, he used a Canon 5D. This was before the
    5D2 came out.)

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Jul 13, 2010

  3. DanP

    Peter Guest

    "Roger" <> wrote in message

    > Wayyyy back when... I used to do candid weddings along with the formal
    > shots which was as much as two whole days. You might think that with
    > all the others shooting there would be no market, but it made me more
    > money than the formal shots.
    > Again, I knew ahead of time what the family/couple wanted and those
    > are not necessarily the same.

    You are giving some very good advice, which is applicable to street and
    wildlife photographers, as well as event photographers

    Try to understand your subject, in advance and anticipate what will happen.

    --
    Peter
    Peter, Jul 22, 2010
  4. DanP

    HocusPocus Guest

    On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 09:33:58 -0400, "Peter" <>
    wrote:

    >"Roger" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Wayyyy back when... I used to do candid weddings along with the formal
    >> shots which was as much as two whole days. You might think that with
    >> all the others shooting there would be no market, but it made me more
    >> money than the formal shots.
    >> Again, I knew ahead of time what the family/couple wanted and those
    >> are not necessarily the same.

    >You are giving some very good advice, which is applicable to street and
    >wildlife photographers, as well as event photographers
    >
    >Try to understand your subject, in advance and anticipate what will happen.

    The 7 P's: Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Productions
    HocusPocus, Jul 22, 2010
  5. DanP

    John Turco Guest

    HocusPocus wrote:

    > On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 09:33:58 -0400, "Peter" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >"Roger" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >> Wayyyy back when... I used to do candid weddings along with the formal
    > >> shots which was as much as two whole days. You might think that with
    > >> all the others shooting there would be no market, but it made me more
    > >> money than the formal shots.
    > >> Again, I knew ahead of time what the family/couple wanted and those
    > >> are not necessarily the same.

    > >You are giving some very good advice, which is applicable to street and
    > >wildlife photographers, as well as event photographers
    > >
    > >Try to understand your subject, in advance and anticipate what will happen.

    > The 7 P's: Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Productions

    Change that, to the "6 P's" ("Prior" is redundant).

    I hate odd numbers, anyhow.

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>