Re: tough to be a wedding photographer

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by tony cooper, Jul 12, 2010.

  1. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 11:10:23 -0700, C J Campbell
    <> wrote:

    >On 2010-07-12 10:48:13 -0700, Bowser <> said:
    >
    >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9HD5GZooPQ

    >He blocks the videographer from filming the entire wedding retreat. He
    >doesn't know where the fountain is.

    Font, not fountain. That's a baptismal font.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jul 12, 2010

  2. tony cooper

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 12:45:35 -0700, C J Campbell
    <> wrote:
    : On 2010-07-12 12:03:52 -0700, tony cooper <> said:
    :
    : > On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 11:10:23 -0700, C J Campbell
    : > <> wrote:
    : >
    : >> On 2010-07-12 10:48:13 -0700, Bowser <> said:
    : >>
    : >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9HD5GZooPQ
    : >>
    : >> He blocks the videographer from filming the entire wedding retreat. He
    : >> doesn't know where the fountain is.
    : >
    : > Font, not fountain. That's a baptismal font.
    :
    : So it is! Well, he baptized himself, eh?
    :
    : It also seems to me he could have dressed appropriately for a wedding.
    : Too many photogs out there looking like slobs.

    Interesting point. I thought all wedding photographers dressed in black. I've
    been told that it's to prevent any reflected light from colorizing the bride's
    dress.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jul 13, 2010

  3. C J Campbell wrote:
    > On 2010-07-12 20:07:40 -0700, Robert Coe <> said:
    >
    >> On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 12:45:35 -0700, C J Campbell
    >> <> wrote:
    >> : On 2010-07-12 12:03:52 -0700, tony cooper
    >> <> said:
    >> :
    >> : > On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 11:10:23 -0700, C J Campbell
    >> : > <> wrote:
    >> : >
    >> : >> On 2010-07-12 10:48:13 -0700, Bowser <> said:
    >> : >>
    >> : >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9HD5GZooPQ
    >> : >>
    >> : >> He blocks the videographer from filming the entire wedding
    >> retreat. He
    >> : >> doesn't know where the fountain is.
    >> : >
    >> : > Font, not fountain. That's a baptismal font.
    >> :
    >> : So it is! Well, he baptized himself, eh?
    >> :
    >> : It also seems to me he could have dressed appropriately for a wedding.
    >> : Too many photogs out there looking like slobs.
    >>
    >> Interesting point. I thought all wedding photographers dressed in
    >> black. I've
    >> been told that it's to prevent any reflected light from colorizing the
    >> bride's
    >> dress.
    >>
    >> Bob

    > Black has that advantage, of course. It also makes you less visible.
    > People do not 'see' people who are wearing black. My outfit consists of
    > black slacks, black shirt & tie, black shoes, and a black jacket if a
    > jacket is necessary. Everything has a discreet logo embroidered on it.
    > My assistant wears a long black dress, but she is the sort that is just
    > not invisible no matter what she wears.

    Do you wear a dinner jacket if in the evening? (Some people call it a
    tux, or tuxedo, from its origin in Tuxedo Park, NY)

    --
    john mcwilliams

    John McWilliams, Jul 14, 2010
  4. tony cooper

    Peter Guest

    "John McWilliams" <> wrote in message
    >C J Campbell wrote:
    >> On 2010-07-12 20:07:40 -0700, Robert Coe <> said:
    >>
    >>> On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 12:45:35 -0700, C J Campbell
    >>> <> wrote:
    >>> : On 2010-07-12 12:03:52 -0700, tony cooper
    >>> <> said:
    >>> :
    >>> : > On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 11:10:23 -0700, C J Campbell
    >>> : > <> wrote:
    >>> : >
    >>> : >> On 2010-07-12 10:48:13 -0700, Bowser <> said:
    >>> : >>
    >>> : >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9HD5GZooPQ
    >>> : >>
    >>> : >> He blocks the videographer from filming the entire wedding retreat.
    >>> He
    >>> : >> doesn't know where the fountain is.
    >>> : >
    >>> : > Font, not fountain. That's a baptismal font.
    >>> :
    >>> : So it is! Well, he baptized himself, eh?
    >>> :
    >>> : It also seems to me he could have dressed appropriately for a wedding.
    >>> : Too many photogs out there looking like slobs.
    >>>
    >>> Interesting point. I thought all wedding photographers dressed in black.
    >>> I've
    >>> been told that it's to prevent any reflected light from colorizing the
    >>> bride's
    >>> dress.
    >>>
    >>> Bob

    >> Black has that advantage, of course. It also makes you less visible.
    >> People do not 'see' people who are wearing black. My outfit consists of
    >> black slacks, black shirt & tie, black shoes, and a black jacket if a
    >> jacket is necessary. Everything has a discreet logo embroidered on it. My
    >> assistant wears a long black dress, but she is the sort that is just not
    >> invisible no matter what she wears.

    > Do you wear a dinner jacket if in the evening? (Some people call it a tux,
    > or tuxedo, from its origin in Tuxedo Park, NY)

    Funny how fashions change. When my wife and I fist went to concerts at
    Tanglewood, I wore a dinner jacket because we were sitting inside. Even
    people on the lawn would wear formal ware and have candlelight dinners on
    the lawn. The candlelight dinners are quintessentially Tanglewood, but most
    wear shorts. The performers still are formal but only the ushers wear ties.

    --
    Peter

    Peter, Jul 14, 2010
  5. tony cooper

    Peter Guest

    "C J Campbell" <> wrote in message
    > On 2010-07-13 16:29:54 -0700, John McWilliams <> said:
    >
    >> C J Campbell wrote:

    >>> Black has that advantage, of course. It also makes you less visible.
    >>> People do not 'see' people who are wearing black. My outfit consists of
    >>> black slacks, black shirt & tie, black shoes, and a black jacket if a
    >>> jacket is necessary. Everything has a discreet logo embroidered on it.
    >>> My assistant wears a long black dress, but she is the sort that is just
    >>> not invisible no matter what she wears.

    >> Do you wear a dinner jacket if in the evening? (Some people call it a
    >> tux, or tuxedo, from its origin in Tuxedo Park, NY)

    > No. We are west coast. A dinner jacket would stick out like a sore thumb.
    > Too bad; I like dinner jackets.

    I went to a dinner in near Beverly Hills, forgot the name of the restaurant,
    but everybody wore a tux and the big thing was to be served in the kitchen.

    --
    Peter

    Peter, Jul 14, 2010
  6. In rec.photo.digital C J Campbell <> wrote:
    > On 2010-07-12 20:07:40 -0700, Robert Coe <> said:

    >> On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 12:45:35 -0700, C J Campbell
    >> <> wrote:
    >> : On 2010-07-12 12:03:52 -0700, tony cooper
    >> <> said:
    >> :
    >> : > On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 11:10:23 -0700, C J Campbell
    >> : > <> wrote:
    >> : >
    >> : >> On 2010-07-12 10:48:13 -0700, Bowser <> said:
    >> : >>
    >> : >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9HD5GZooPQ
    >> : >>
    >> : >> He blocks the videographer from filming the entire wedding retreat. He
    >> : >> doesn't know where the fountain is.
    >> : >
    >> : > Font, not fountain. That's a baptismal font.
    >> :
    >> : So it is! Well, he baptized himself, eh?
    >> :
    >> : It also seems to me he could have dressed appropriately for a wedding.
    >> : Too many photogs out there looking like slobs.
    >>
    >> Interesting point. I thought all wedding photographers dressed in black. I've
    >> been told that it's to prevent any reflected light from colorizing the bride's
    >> dress.
    >>
    >> Bob

    > Black has that advantage, of course. It also makes you less visible.
    > People do not 'see' people who are wearing black. My outfit consists of
    > black slacks, black shirt & tie, black shoes, and a black jacket if a
    > jacket is necessary. Everything has a discreet logo embroidered on it.
    > My assistant wears a long black dress, but she is the sort that is just
    > not invisible no matter what she wears.

    A black scarf can be a handy photographic accessory. You can use it to
    set up a small bit of black background, to block a light coloured
    accidental annoying reflector, to shroud off the reflections from some
    glass you want to shoot through, to shroud your head and screen when
    using an LCD in bright sunlight, and so on.

    I recall a shoot where the photographer wanted to illuminate all the
    small nooks, crannies, and cubicles of a complex interior space and
    hadn't enough flashes to cover them all. So he did it at night in near
    total darkness, set up the camera with a long exposure on a tripod,
    and ran round the lot dressed in black with a black balaclava and
    gloves, firing off a a flash gun in each spot. The gun was set to its
    local autothyristor control to equalize illumination.

    Dressing so as to be unobtrusive depends on the circumstances. At posh
    events you can dress like the toffs to mingle or like an event
    supporting employee to be ignored. At publicity seeking events all you
    need to do is to dress like a photographer :) In the wild military
    style camouflage works best, and you mustn't forget to camouflage the
    big white lens :)

    --
    Chris Malcolm
    Warning: none of the above is indisputable fact.

    Chris Malcolm, Jul 27, 2010
  7. tony cooper

    Robert Coe Guest

    : >> <> wrote:
    : >> : On 2010-07-12 12:03:52 -0700, tony cooper
    : >> <> said:
    : >> :
    : >> : > On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 11:10:23 -0700, C J Campbell
    : >> : > <> wrote:
    : >> : >
    : >> : >> On 2010-07-12 10:48:13 -0700, Bowser <> said:
    : >> : >>
[...]

    or when it's as bald and reflective as mine is.

    : Dressing so as to be unobtrusive depends on the circumstances. At posh
    : events you can dress like the toffs to mingle or like an event
    : supporting employee to be ignored. At publicity seeking events all you
    : need to do is to dress like a photographer :) In the wild military
    : style camouflage works best, and you mustn't forget to camouflage the
    : big white lens :)

    As I've been walking my city lately taking stock photos for our new Web site,
    the following thought has occurred to me: if it bothers you to look ridiculous
    in public, you probably don't have much of a future as a photographer. :^|

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jul 28, 2010