Re: Totally OT, but may be familiar...

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Tom MacIntyre, Jun 11, 2005.

  1. On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 21:11:08 GMT, "smackedass"
    <> wrote:

    >Hello again,
    >
    >There is a trend among chain-type stores, to have in each store, a
    >computerized employment kiosk. In addition to filling out all of the
    >standard stuff, like name, address, previous employment, references, etc.,
    >there is an "assessment" area. Here, they ask a whole bunch of questions,
    >like 50 or 75 of them like, "I am concerned about hurting other peoples'
    >feelings", and, "Other people regard me as being reliable". Some of these
    >questions are self explanatory, and there is only one obvious, acceptable
    >response, but some of the others are tricky. And, after you answer one of
    >these questions, a little while later you'll see another one that sounds
    >almost exactly like it, only a little bit different...then, you start to
    >think, "are they trying to catch me in a lie?".
    >
    >It is obvious that these tests are designed by people who know which
    >respondents will make desirable employees. I've taken several of these
    >tests, most recently at our local Staples store, and I am baffled as how to
    >answer the questions. I admit, I "cheated", and tried to answer these
    >questions the way that I thought that would best present me, rather than how
    >I honestly felt.
    >
    >Does anyone have any insight on what is going on here? Is there any way to
    >beat this system? I'm sure that some of you have taken at least one of
    >these tests, and I'm much interested in what other people have to say about
    >it.
    >
    >Thanks, again, as always.

    You have to guess at what they want to hear. I applied to an IT call
    center one time, did it my way...nothing. The wife had done the same
    test and been accepted, in spite of her being nowhere near me in
    IT-related skills and experience. She called their HR department,
    explained that she had little or no IT, I knew my stuff, she passed, I
    didn't. She was told by the HR guy to retest, with HER DOING THE TEST
    FOR ME!! Wow. Opened my eyes.

    Of course, those who say the right thing and who are at the same time
    truthful are the ideal candidates. :)

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Jun 11, 2005

  2. Tom MacIntyre

    me Guest

    Those who are honest and do their best SHOULD be the ideal candidates, but I
    am currently in a non IT related job--retail, and have been told that the
    fact that I AM HONEST AND STAND UP, and FIGHT FOR WHAT I BELIEVE IN is a
    "hinderance" to my advancing within the company.

    I.E what this guy is telling me is the fact that because I am honest, open,
    and willing to take management to the mat, and go over their heads to upper
    level management for doing things that are obviously against company policy,
    or blantantly wrong or immoral, and the fact that I dislike being lied to,
    and the fact that I don't simply lay down and let management walk over the
    top of me--but that I believe in being honest, and open with everyone, and
    willing to stand up for the things I believe in--honesty, integrity and
    fairness within the company, and the fact that everyone should have the same
    opportunities regardless to move up--I have been told that because of these
    things I cannot get any other position--EVER and that I am stuck in the
    lowest position they can find---forever.........

    Now that is corporate america, and it is portrayed everyday in your local
    worldwide multimillion dollar retailer.........

    me, Jun 11, 2005

  3. Tom MacIntyre

    JJ Guest

    "me" <> wrote in message
    > Those who are honest and do their best SHOULD be the ideal candidates, but

    > am currently in a non IT related job--retail, and have been told that the
    > fact that I AM HONEST AND STAND UP, and FIGHT FOR WHAT I BELIEVE IN is a
    > "hinderance" to my advancing within the company.

    I do a little "consulting" a church where my wife used to work. The rector
    (pastor) really loves my work. She told me once that part of what she likes
    is that instead of coming in and doing "hocus pocus" and the computer's
    fixed, I explain what I'm doing and why, and leave them with documentation,
    which empowers them to handle more and more of their own issues.

    I recalled mentioning "being told that I 'empower' the user" as part of an
    answer to "How would you handle a support call..." at a job interview, while
    doing an autopsy on that interview. I suspect I shot myself in the foot if
    they're a turf oriented department.
    --
    JJ

    JJ, Jun 13, 2005