Re: Toshiba Portege 3440-CM ptoblem

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by peterwn, Aug 11, 2009.

  1. peterwn

    peterwn Guest

    On Aug 11, 4:33 pm, "Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz"
    <> wrote:
    >         A legacy machine donted to me recently.
    >
    >         Loaded w2000
    >
    >         Bios provides for booting from floppy, cd, HHD, network.
    >
    >         It recognises external CD but will not start from bootable CD.
    >
    >         I've searched around, but cannot find any mention of the problem
    > of booting from external devices.
    >
    >         Anyone had experience of Portege 3440 suggest possible solutions.

    If the external CD is not via a standard IDE 0 or 1 connection the
    BIOS is unlikely to recognise it on an older machine. You would be
    back to the early CD days when you booted up with a floppy, installed
    a CD driver then use the CD to install Windows, Linux etc.

    peterwn, Aug 11, 2009

  2. In message <d63a4090-643e-4ea1-ac74-
    >, peterwn wrote:

    > On Aug 11, 4:33 pm, "Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Bios provides for booting from floppy, cd, HHD, network.

    > If the external CD is not via a standard IDE 0 or 1 connection the
    > BIOS is unlikely to recognise it on an older machine. You would be
    > back to the early CD days when you booted up with a floppy, installed
    > a CD driver then use the CD to install Windows, Linux etc.

    Or a network boot might be another option.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 12, 2009