Re: Took the plunge

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Peter Irwin, Jun 13, 2008.

  1. Peter Irwin

    Peter Irwin Guest

    Russell D. <> wrote:

    > A first question for starters. One of the pieces of equipment that I
    > hate to retire is my trusty Vivitar 283 flash that I purchased in 1976.
    > It has been a trusty piece of equipment and has never failed me. Can I
    > still use this flash?

    The usual worry here is the voltage. Older 283s have a high voltage
    on the flash contacts which most new cameras cannot cope with.
    There is a danger of frying some of the electronics in a new
    camera with an old flash. Check the voltage with a DVM or VTVM
    to make sure it is lower than the max sync voltage specified in your
    camera manual. There is a device available called a Wein Safe-sync,
    but you can probably by a more modern generic flash for not much more
    money.

    (If your 283 was bought in 1976 it is almost certainly not safe
    to be plugged in directly to most modern electronic cameras.)

    Peter.

    Peter Irwin, Jun 13, 2008

  2. Peter Irwin

    Paul Furman Guest

    Focus wrote:
    > BobW wrote
    > Happy Traveler wrote
    >> Peter Irwin wrote
    >>
    >>> There is a danger of frying some of the electronics in a new camera with
    >>> an old flash. Check the voltage with a DVM or VTVM
    >>>

    >> VTVM? Any idea where to find one in working condition? I know a museum
    >> that would love to put it on display.

    > Here's a Heathkit IM-18 VTVM like the one I used to have:
    >
    > http://cgi.ebay.com/Heathkit-VTVM-I...ryZ48701QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    Nuclear powered? :)

    http://improve-usenet.org/

    --
    google groups messages filtered due to spam

    Paul Furman, Jun 14, 2008

  3. Blinky the Shark, Jun 14, 2008
  4. Alan Browne <> wrote:

    > Peter Irwin wrote:
    >

    > > (If your 283 was bought in 1976 it is almost certainly not safe
    > > to be plugged in directly to most modern electronic cameras.)

    > A bit general. Some Canon SLR's (such as the Elan 7) have pretty low
    > voltage tolerance, but more up to date DSLR's such as the 20D are rated
    > to +/- 250 or 300 V.
    >
    > KM-7d: +/- 400 V.
    >
    > It's usually in the manual.

    The 40D manual says 250V (page 106)