Re: Too many fonts???

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Lindsay, Oct 8, 2008.

  1. Lindsay

    Lindsay Guest

    "nutzel" <> wrote in message
    >A couple of years ago I received a pop up saying I had too many fonts (over
    >500, which is suppose to be the maximum number allowed on an XP machine) on
    >my computer and that it could cause things to display incorrectly. Although
    >I wasn't having any problems that I was aware of, I removed quite a number
    >of them and all was well until the other day the same thing happened while
    >I was working in an MS Works spreadsheet. This time I was experiencing a
    >problem with a grayed out area appearing where the curser location was
    >supposed to be displayed. I again removed a couple of hundred fonts and the
    >problem was corrected. However, this action produced another problem.
    >Whenever I went to a different web page I kept getting a pop up telling me
    >to insert disk one to install MS Greetings as a font was missing. To make a
    >very long story short, I ended up reinstalling MS Greetings and, so far,
    >all appears to be OK.
    >
    > My question is: Does anyone know if there is anyway I can replace all the
    > fonts I have removed without running into these problems again?
    >
    > Nutzel

    I don't know how to get your fonts back. But if you need to get rid of more
    fonts, I think you could make a special folder called something like "Extra
    Fonts"
    in your C drive, and move the unwanted fonts to that, without deleting from
    the computer. Then, if you needed a font that you had moved, you could go to
    the "Extra Fonts" and reinstall in C/Windows/Fonts.
    Lindsay, Oct 8, 2008

  2. Lindsay

    thanatoid Guest

    "nutzel" <> wrote in

    >> I don't know how to get your fonts back. But if you need
    >> to get rid of more fonts, I think you could make a special
    >> folder called something like "Extra Fonts"
    >> in your C drive, and move the unwanted fonts to that,
    >> without deleting from
    >> the computer. Then, if you needed a font that you had
    >> moved, you could go to
    >> the "Extra Fonts" and reinstall in C/Windows/Fonts.
    >>

    > Thanks. That's what I've done.

    Using a free font manager is a LOT easier and faster and lets
    you preview fonts, group them by family, choose to load JUST the
    ones you will need this time, etc. etc.

    Not that I don't firmly believe in understanding how files and
    directories work or anything :)

    --
    Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the
    votes decide everything.
    thanatoid, Oct 9, 2008

  3. Lindsay

    thanatoid Guest

    "nutzel" <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    > OK --- Sounds good. Where do I get a free font manager?

    From my 1st reply to you:

    "The program I use is free from www.moonsoftware.com but there
    are dozens of others."

    Since, sadly, it appears necessary, here is the specific link:
    http://www.moonsoftware.com/fxplorer.asp

    Their "shell tools" program (also free) appears to contain just
    the font loader (and some other useful stuff). The full Font
    Explorer is a font management toolbox.

    There are dozens or hundreds of other font managers, some free,
    some not, some big, some small... Etc.

    Google.

    thanatoid, Oct 11, 2008