Re: Too many fonts???

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by richard, Oct 8, 2008.

  1. richard

    richard Guest

    On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 15:47:27 -0400, "nutzel" <>
    wrote:

    >A couple of years ago I received a pop up saying I had too many fonts (over
    >500, which is suppose to be the maximum number allowed on an XP machine) on
    >my computer and that it could cause things to display incorrectly. Although
    >I wasn't having any problems that I was aware of, I removed quite a number
    >of them and all was well until the other day the same thing happened while I
    >was working in an MS Works spreadsheet. This time I was experiencing a
    >problem with a grayed out area appearing where the curser location was
    >supposed to be displayed. I again removed a couple of hundred fonts and the
    >problem was corrected. However, this action produced another problem.
    >Whenever I went to a different web page I kept getting a pop up telling me
    >to insert disk one to install MS Greetings as a font was missing. To make a
    >very long story short, I ended up reinstalling MS Greetings and, so far, all
    >appears to be OK.
    >
    >My question is: Does anyone know if there is anyway I can replace all the
    >fonts I have removed without running into these problems again?
    >
    >Nutzel

    I've never come across a web page that demanded to have certain fonts
    installed. That sounds more like a trick to get you to click the ok
    button and in doing so, you get a virus.

    What fonts I have on my machine is my damn business and if they don't
    like it, tough. I have yet to understand why so many are installed to
    begin with as most of them are nothing but variations of the simpler
    ones.

    You could get by easily with only 20 of the most popular. I just
    checked my vista laptop and it only comes with 280.

    richard, Oct 8, 2008