Re: Too many fonts???

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by VanguardLH, Oct 8, 2008.

  1. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    nutzel wrote:

    > A couple of years ago I received a pop up saying I had too many fonts (over
    > 500, which is suppose to be the maximum number allowed on an XP machine) on
    > my computer and that it could cause things to display incorrectly. Although
    > I wasn't having any problems that I was aware of, I removed quite a number
    > of them and all was well until the other day the same thing happened while I
    > was working in an MS Works spreadsheet. This time I was experiencing a
    > problem with a grayed out area appearing where the curser location was
    > supposed to be displayed. I again removed a couple of hundred fonts and the
    > problem was corrected. However, this action produced another problem.
    > Whenever I went to a different web page I kept getting a pop up telling me
    > to insert disk one to install MS Greetings as a font was missing. To make a
    > very long story short, I ended up reinstalling MS Greetings and, so far, all
    > appears to be OK.
    >
    > My question is: Does anyone know if there is anyway I can replace all the
    > fonts I have removed without running into these problems again?
    >
    > Nutzel

    There is no 500 font count limit. I currently have 752 fonts installed.
    The limit is based on the 64KB max size for all values stored under a
    registry key. Having more fonts makes the registry .dat files bigger
    but they get loaded into memory and it is the memory copy that gets
    used, not the .dat file on the disk. At 64KB for full consumption of
    this registry key, it contributes all of 0.015 seconds to the time to
    load the registry files (65536 kilobytes X 8bits/byte / 33Mbps for
    ATA-33 for burst speed but most folks have ATA-100 drives, too).

    The limit is based on the maximum size for a registry key
    (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts).
    This key is loaded along with the rest of the registry into memory to
    provide paths to the fonts. The shorter the font names, the more fonts
    can be listed. From http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986:

    ---------
    The maximum size of a value name is as follows:
    ¡E Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, and Windows Vista: 16,383 characters
    ¡E Windows 2000: 260 ANSI characters or 16,383 Unicode characters
    ¡E Windows Millennium Edition/Windows 98/Windows 95: 255 characters

    Long values (more than 2,048 bytes) must be stored as files with the
    file names stored in the registry. This helps the registry perform
    efficiently.

    The maximum size of a value is as follows:
    ¡E Windows NT 4.0/Windows 2000/Windows XP/Windows Server 2003/Windows
    Vista: Available memory
    ¡E Windows Millennium Edition/Windows 98/Windows 95: 16,300 bytes

    Note There is a 64K limit for the total size of all values of a key.
    ---------

    So the total size of all values under a key cannot exceed 64KB. That
    means you have that much in which to store the data names (which are the
    font name) and the data values (the font filename). So it isn't a 500
    font limit. It's a 64KB registry key limit and how that equates to the
    number of fonts depends on how long are the font names and how long are
    the fonts' filenames.

    I exported that registry key to a .reg file and then looked at its size
    in bytes (not the size on the disk which would have slack space but the
    number of bytes in the file). It was at 63,574 bytes so I'm very close
    to the 65,536 byte limit - but I am past 500 fonts (currently at 752).
    VanguardLH, Oct 8, 2008